Director of People & Culture job in San Francisco
Vacancy has expired
Food & Nutrition
Director of People & Culture
Create Community Through Food With Us! The Bi-Rite Family of Businesses is a learning space with endless opportunity for education and on-the-job-training about community building, hospitable service, and of course, Good Food. As a Certified B Corporation, we believe it’s our responsibility to prioritize our people and planet over profit and we do this by building meaningful relationships with each part of our extended family: the food we make and sell inextricably connects our staff, our guests, our producers, and environment. Named one of Forbes 25 Best Small Companies in America, our team is comprised of entrepreneurs, dreamers, doers, artists, activists, and food lovers. If you’re a people person with a passion for Good Food and nourishing conversation, we invite you to create community through food with us!
Bi-Rite Family of Businesses is seeking an experienced HR leader to help us build and scale our Employee Experience across the organization. As a mission-driven business, our people and culture are very important to us and we are looking for a candidate who shares our passion and values for building strong companies from the bottom up. Reporting to the owners and working closely with the senior leadership team, this individual will be responsible for all things people related including human resources (HR administration, HRIS processes), employee relations, payroll, learning and development, recruiting, onboarding, diversity and inclusion, performance management, compensation & benefits and health and wellness, including staff safety. This leader will play a critical role in leading our evolution during an exciting period of organizational growth and will serve as a strategic thought partner to the leadership team. This role will be equal parts strategy and execution, yes hands-on work is expected, especially around employee relations. We believe our people are our strongest asset, and that the success of each staff member is important to Bi-Rite’s overall success. You won’t be doing this alone. In addition to collaborating with the senior leadership team, you’ll lead and develop a talented group of four HR professionals.
- You love people and people love you. You are empathetic and highly approachable to anyone in a genuine and sincere manner.
- Lead the strategy, implementation, and execution of our people function for 330+ employees across five locations in the SF Bay Area.
- Lead and engage our staff in the creation and implementation of our People Mission & Guiding Principles as directed by our Vision 2024.
- Evolve performance management approach and tools to achieve a growth mindset culture where accountability, learning, and high performance are embraced.
- Build and evolve employee training and development programs
- Oversee the administration of our total rewards including compensation and benefits
- Evolve the people and technology plan including HRIS, benefits enrollment, applicant tracking, performance management and training
- Continue to foster a welcoming, diverse and inclusive workforce
- Advise the executive team on key initiatives and progress
- Ensure the staff experience is consistent and always in line with Bi-Rite’s culture and values
- Develop and implement a robust Staff Health & Wellness Program, including effective Workers comp management
- Mentor, lead and develop a team of four.
To be successful in this role you will need:
- 10+ years of HR experience, with at least 3+ years leading a complex HR operations function.
- 2+ years Organizational Development experience. DISC, MBTI or similar certifications
- Change management expertise
- Strong employee relations background
- Strong relationship building skills in a cross-functional, multi-cultural environment
- Working knowledge of state, federal, and applicable international employment laws
- Extraordinary learning agility, ability to bring prior expertise and adapt appropriately to our unique and dynamic culture
- Experience designing and implementing new HR programs and initiatives in a bilingual organization
- Solid team facilitation and conflict resolution skills
- Bi-lingual preferred, but not required
Our unique staff culture and generous benefits package sets us apart from other food businesses. We offer a 25% (alcohol 20%) discount on purchases throughout the businesses, a meal provided with your shift, medical, dental and vision plan after 60 days of employment, a 401K retirement plan with employer match, access to 18 Reasons classes and the opportunity for career advancement. And of course, the opportunity to meaningfully contribute to a team of mindful, smart and happy people at work every day!
Submit your resume and cover letter. If you are genuinely interested in this exciting opportunity, we’d love for you to take the time to write a few sentences telling what you know and love about the Bi-Rite Family of Businesses, your interest in working at Bi-Rite, and what you hope to learn by working with us.
Bi-Rite does not offer relocation fees.