Job Title: Copy Director
Reports To: Sr. Global Creative Director
Location: Ventura, CA
The Patagonia Creative Group is a full service in-house studio providing design, editorial, photographic, print, and electronic creative services to develop and maintain Patagonia’s global visual expression.
The Copy Director will oversee the Patagonia voice across all channels and media. This person will be a member of the Sr. Creative team and will manage all Writers, Editors and Proofreaders. They will provide leadership, vision and strategy, as well as conceptual and executional excellence. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in writing, a powerful wit, a deep knowledge of our core sports and an unrelenting activist spirit. They will have editorial experience from a resource and content planning standpoint and also environmental and SER writing experience. They will be a big idea thinker, inspirational leader and a highly skilled crafter of words who is flexible in writing for multiple clients, in varying mediums.
Essential Job Functions:
- Manage all Brand and Category Writers, Editors and Proofreaders.
- Promote the professional development of the Editorial department.
- Own and manage the Brand Copy Guidelines and continually update the guidelines to coincide with major brand shifts and/or seasonal requirements.
- Provide strategy, including concept development, for ongoing and seasonal marketing campaigns.
- Ensure that copy is clear, accurate, and intelligent, reflecting Patagonia’s brand.
- Partner with PR for press releases and press/media communication.
- Create persuasive messages and compelling stories that inform, entertain, inspire, and engage while also generating brand loyalty in consumers.
- Work with the channel and category marketing teams to tailor stories for their needs.
- Ensure that a strong, recognizable and relevant voice for the brand is communicated and executed across all marketing touch points.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Strong advocate of Patagonia’s mission.
- Bachelor’s Degree or advanced degree in Journalism or other related areas from an accredited institution with an emphasis on writing; and/or combined 10 years of on the job experience in a senior management creative role.
- Prior supervision and team management experience required.
- Knowledge and deep experience of Patagonia’s products.
- Expert understanding of marketing campaign development and the various mediums and channels to execute a campaign: print, video/film, social, digital marketing, email, promotions, e-commerce, retail, wholesale.
- Experience collaborating with creative and marketing roles.
- Experience presenting work in a meeting environment to top-level executives and peers.
- Creative thinker who can provide a solid portfolio of creative ideas.
- Diverse knowledge of the outdoor industry competitive landscape.
- Detail oriented and meticulous proofreader.
- Ability to take responsibility for all copy management and delegation on complex projects concurrently.
- Comfortable with working in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Intermediate level knowledge of Word, InCopy, Outlook, and Excel programs on a Mac platform.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to set and meet quick deadlines.
- Capable of streamlining and improving processes and troubleshooting.
- Able to work well under pressure and deadlines.
- Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment.
- Must be able to travel utilizing various transportation methods.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.