Industrial Design Director job in San Francisco
Vacancy has expired
We are people against dirty® (PAD), and we’ve always done things differently. We are fearless thinkers, mad scientists and adventurous designers who believe that making soap leads to brave ideas, bold inventions and beautiful bubbles.
We are small, but we have big plans to make the world a cleaner, greener, more colorful place. And we invite everyone to join us as we pioneer a future where doing business is doing good for all.
Director of Industrial Design is responsible for concept creation, industrial design and development for all business pods (hand, laundry and cleaning) at method.
This role will work closely with the each of the General Managers of the pods to ensure a robust and innovative product pipeline; as well as liaise with Packaging Engineers, NPD, Sustainability ,Legal, Marketing, Quality and Ops to ensure the highest level of design quality and consumer experience.
The goal of this position is to provide design and innovation leadership for the North American business and International markets, as needed. By providing beautiful design and visionary thinking, the Director of Industrial Design holds a unique position at method as a trusted strategic resource.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Industrial Design – co-direct the Industrial Design process within method
- Help create and drive product roadmap strategy
- Uncover and instill consumer insights as it relates to product
- Concept creation and consensus building
- Design evaluation and selection
- Refinement, design specification and handover
Innovation - pursue and catalyze innovation and innovative thinking within method
- Scout for new ideas and possibilities
- Meet and discuss new ideas with vendors, pod teams, and functional groups
- Work cross functionally to influence product strategy within method to deliver on our corporate obsessions
- Be an active promoter of and participant in method’s unique culture as it relates to design thinking, collaboration and transparency
- Work reception once a month*
*we are not joking. at people against dirty, everyone in the San Francisco office takes a spin as receptionist. costumes welcome.
use art to drive commerce
method stands for design, healthy chemistry and fun, but it also stands for innovation, surprise and curiosity.
Candidates for this position are likely to be degree-qualified in more than one discipline, for example; Design and Marketing, Design and Engineering. They will have 8-12 years professional design experience (hopefully in CPG or lifestyle brands), and are comfortable working in highly motivated, energetic environments. They will be just as happy discussing product strategy with the CEO (whilst wearing a costume) as they will be discussing parison programming with the engineers.
The successful candidate will have experience with 3D CAD programs such as Solidworks, rapid prototyping and all the usual suspects from Adobe and Microsoft, but these will just be tools they use to channel their awesome creativity.
QUALIFICATIONS + EXPERIENCE
- 8-12 years of industrial design experience, with at least 5 years of experience directing design projects at a consumer packaged goods company or design firm
- An extraordinary eye for detail and aesthetics that is evident in their work
- Toggle between tactical project design and strategic visionary thinking.
- Experience in working with cross-functional teams, both technical and creative
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Proven ability to influence within an organization
- Ability to stay cool and calm under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to stay focused on the “big picture”
- Proficient in Solidworks or similar 3D package
** as part of the application process please ensure you have included your portfolio, samples of your work in document form or a link to a personal website
Our values are at the heart of everything we do. Here are a few of the ways we Care like a Mother for every person against dirty:
- Rockstar health insurance benefits package
- Competitive vacation bundle + 3 Care Days (a.k.a. Volunteer Time-Off) a year
- Generous retirement match + pre-tax savings options
- Global Ping Pong Tournament + Prom...you heard that right!
LOCATION: San Francisco
HOURS: Full Time, Exempt (salaried)
REPORTS TO: Sr. Dir. – Packaging & Industrial Design