Position Title: Construction Project Manager
Department: Design and Construction
Supervisory Responsibility: Not responsible for supervising others.
Reports To: Director of Store Planning and Design
Pay Band D | Exempt
Position Description: Manages the pre-construction and construction process of new stores, remodels of existing stores and other projects. Participates in the internal planning and design process and facilitates the construction process through construction completion and grand opening. Accountable for all aspects of the construction process, including cost and schedule.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Understands and models company culture. Works to build community among department staff and with other departments.
- Delivers exceptional service and demonstrates friendly and attentive behaviors with internal and external customers.
- Embraces change and continuous improvement.
- Communication style is confident, informative, adaptive and effective, utilizing varied methods and active listening skills.
- Understands group dynamics in order to foster a positive and collaborative work environment.
- Demonstrates dependability, organization and follow through.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time.
- Demonstrates adaptability, flexibility and creativity in problem-solving and is solutions-oriented.
- Utilizes strategic thinking, data and industry knowledge, and calculated risk-taking to create competitive advantage.
- Plans for the future by setting clear and attainable goals.
- Communicates in a professional and constructive manner. Responds to and follows through on emails and other communications in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates self-awareness and seeks opportunities for professional growth. Seeks and responds to feedback in order to improve performance.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time. Adjusts priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs of department.
- Observes all rules and policies as listed in the New Seasons Market Staff Handbook, Operations Manual, and any other official NSM document or manual.
- Acts as a steward of company resources and Vision/Mission/Values by modeling and promoting sustainable behaviors/operations.
Position Specific Functions
- Manages all aspects of the project during the construction phase including bids, negotiations, contractual, planning and budget management.
- Facilitates investigative tasks associated with site selection, including coordination of agency reviews and engineering feasibility.
- Coordinates outside consultants such as architects, structural engineers, and general contractors during the construction process. Develops and maintains positive working relationships with all internal and external partners.
- Collaborates closely with internal design managers.
- Manages and maintains construction budgets and schedules according to prescribed company plans, programs, policies and procedures.
- Investigates new methods to reduce construction costs and improve schedules.
- Investigates and employs green sustainable building methods whenever possible, including working with Energy Trust and Better Bricks to reduce store energy consumption.
- Works with NSM, real estate brokers, landlords, and attorneys to evaluate potential new stores.
- Leads and manages various project teams including General Contractors, project coordinators, subcontractors and others to ensure all work is completed on time, within budget and in accordance with development and contract agreements.
- Prepares and submits weekly and monthly progress and cost reports.
- Manages construction finances, including review and approval of all pay apps and change order requests.
- Coordinates and obtains necessary permits required for commencement of construction, reviews design documents for conflicts and completeness and participates in development and negotiation of contract agreements.
- Manages and administers the construction phase of the project including reviewing, analyzing and executing bid analysis and monitoring both submittal and request for information reviews and processes.
- Monitors contractor performance and ensures adherence to terms and conditions of agreements.
- Coordinates construction efforts through in-house and contract labor for new construction and rebuild projects.
- Maintains excellent communication with Director of Store Planning and Design and keeps them apprised the Director of critical issues related to the department or company programs
Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety
- Adheres to work and food safety policies set forth by the company and regulatory agencies.
- Contributes to all-office cleanliness.
- Maintains equipment; informs department/office management of any problems.
- Reports all safety concerns and work related injuries to management.
Tools and Equipment Used: This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: office equipment, computer, printer and scanner.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in construction, project and schedule management. Experience in multi-unit, brick and mortar food service or grocery business strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering or related field required.
- Previous experience with construction administration and store planning.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, with skills to learn new computer programs and systems.
- Collaborative, strategic thinker and problem solver, with a demonstrated ability to prioritize, work on multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Exceptional organizational, planning and time management skills.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with ability to prioritize and respond to urgent job responsibilities as they arise and flexible when priorities redirect.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills, including tact and diplomacy, to communicate effectively and professionally with coworkers, supervisors, customers and vendors.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Excellent analytical, mathematical and problem solving skills, with a focus on finding solutions and process improvement.
- Self-motivated, with ability to work independently and in a collaborative, cross-functional team environment.
- Impeccable attention to detail, quality and presentation.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality around sensitive information.
- Skills to read, understand and follow through on verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet needs of the department.
- Ability to travel regularly throughout the Portland, Oregon, Puget Sound, Washington and Northern California trade areas. (30% to 40% travel)
- Medium work level
- Frequently required to sit, stand, walk, bend, stoop, reach, push and pull, twist and turn and grasp.
- Occasionally required to lift and carry 1-20 pounds, lift 21-50 pounds, push and/or pull 1-40 pounds; may require fine finger manipulations and repetitive motions with hands and feet.
- Includes working in an office environment and occasionally in a variety of off-site environments, which may include working in refrigerated areas and on surfaces than can be wet and slippery.
- Typically maintains a moderate noise level.
- Working with exposure to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants, and flowers.
- Working near and using common commercial cleaning agents and chemicals.
Important Notice: The job duties, responsibilities, requirements and conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed in this job description are examples of the tasks that a staff member may be required to perform. New Seasons Market reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require staff members to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.