Job Title: Managing Editor: Brand and Environmental Activism
Reports To: Copy Director
Location: Ventura, CA
The Patagonia Creative Group is a full service in-house studio providing design, editorial, photographic, print, and electronic creative services to develop and maintain Patagonia’s global brand expression.
The Managing Editor for Brand and Environmental Activism will be responsible for all copy and the Patagonia voice for these areas across all channels and media. S/he will be a member of the Brand and Environmental Activism creative teams and will work closely with the Patagonia Environmental and Public Relations teams to effectively communicate Patagonia’s brand message and point-of-view for all Brand and Environmental Activism campaigns and initiatives. S/he will be responsible for both conceptual and executional excellence. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in writing and a deep knowledge of the Patagonia brand.
Essential Job Functions:
- Ensure that all copy is clear, accurate, intelligent and on-brand.
- Collaborate with the Brand and Environmental Activism Creative Teams as well as cross-functional partners, including: The Patagonia Environmental Department, Public Relations, Product and Marketing teams to develop strategies, concepts and stories to support Patagonia’s Brand and Environmental Activism efforts.
- Collaborate with the sales channels and sport category marketing teams.
- Work with freelance writers on assignments for editorial and other content needs.
- Work with contract editing and proofreading to cover assigned project needs.
Go to Market development:
- Collaborate with the category creative teams to develop campaign copy for executing marketing briefs across all consumer touchpoints, including: digital, film, social media, retail-marketing materials, flyers, workbooks, mailers, ads, emails, hang tags, packaging and catalogs.
- Manage all copy and editorial content related to Environmental Activism and Brand initiatives.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- Strong advocate of Patagonia’s mission.
- Experience of marketing environmental activism and brand campaign development.
- Bachelor’s Degree or advanced degree in Journalism or other related areas from an accredited institution with an emphasis on writing; and/or a combined 7 years of on the job experience as a Managing Editor or equivalent.
- Knowledge and experience of Patagonia’s products.
- Experience collaborating with creative and marketing roles.
- Experience presenting work in a meeting environment to top-level executives and peers.
- Creative thinker who can provide a solid portfolio of creative ideas.
- Diverse knowledge of the outdoor industry competitive landscape.
- Detail oriented and meticulous proofreader.
- Ability to take responsibility for all copy management and delegation on complex projects concurrently.
- Comfortable in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Intermediate level knowledge of Word, InCopy, Outlook, and Excel programs on a Mac platform.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to set and meet quick deadlines.
- Capable of streamlining and improving processes.
- Able to work well under pressure and deadlines.
- Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment.
- Must be able to travel utilizing various transportation methods.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.