Job Title: Managing Editor: Fly Fishing and Workwear Product Categories
Reports To: Copy Director
Location: Ventura, CA
The Patagonia Creative Group is a full service in-house studio providing design, editorial, photographic, print, and electronic creative services to develop and maintain Patagonia’s global brand expression.
The Managing Editor for the Fly Fishing and Workwear categories will be responsible for the Patagonia voice and all copy in both categories, across all channels and media. S/he will be a member of the Fly Fishing and Workwear creative teams and will effectively communicate the research and technology behind every associated product. S/he will be responsible for both conceptual and executional excellence. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in writing and a deep knowledge of both the Fly Fishing and Workwear markets.
Essential Job Functions:
- Ensure that all copy is clear, accurate, intelligent and on-brand.
- Collaborate with the Category Creative Team and cross-functional partners, including: Product Line Directors and Product Marketing, to develop strategies, concepts and stories to support both categories.
- Collaborate with the sales channels and category marketing teams.
- Work with freelance writers on assignments for editorial and other content needs.
- Work with contract editing and proofreading to cover assigned project needs.
Go to Market development
- Collaborate with the category creative teams to develop campaign copy for executing marketing briefs across all consumer touchpoints, including: digital, film, social media, retail-marketing materials, flyers, workbooks, mailers, ads, emails, hang tags, packaging and catalogs.
- Manage all copy and editorial content needs for all Fly Fishing and Workwear catalogs.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Strong advocate of Patagonia’s mission.
- Bachelor’s Degree or advanced degree in Journalism or other related areas from an accredited institution with an emphasis on writing; and/or a combined 7 years of on the job experience as a Managing Editor or equivalent.
- Knowledge and deep experience of Patagonia’s products.
- Experience of marketing campaign development.
- Experience collaborating with creative and marketing roles.
- Experience presenting work in a meeting environment to top-level executives and peers.
- Creative thinker who can provide a solid portfolio of creative ideas.
- Diverse knowledge of the outdoor industry competitive landscape.
- Detail oriented and meticulous proofreader.
- Ability to take responsibility for all copy management and delegation on complex projects concurrently.
- Comfortable in a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Intermediate level knowledge of Word, InCopy, Outlook, and Excel programs on a Mac platform.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to set and meet quick deadlines.
- Capable of streamlining and improving processes.
- Able to work well under pressure and deadlines.
- Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
- Must be able to sit for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment.
- Must be able to travel utilizing various transportation methods.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.