Job Title: Photo Editor / SNOW, MOUNTAIN BIKE, EQUIPMENT
Reports To: Photo Director
Location: Ventura, CA
The Patagonia Creative team is a full service in-house agency providing design, editorial, photographic, and video content, as well as developing and maintaining the visual identity of the Company.
The Photo Editor works with the other members of the Photo Editing team to source, assign, and edit Patagonia’s outdoor photography assets for use throughout the Company’s print and digital marketing materials, catalogs, and books. Each Photo Editor is assigned a set of sport and/or brand categories for which the Editor will be responsible for all photos, from the photo research phase through to seasonal photo briefs, photography assignments, shot list development, ambassador coordination as it relates to the photo shoots, sample coordination for shoot participants, budgeting, and production support. The Photo Editor is responsible for seeding product with photographers and maintaining steady communication with all contributing photographers regarding relevant campaigns and photo needs. Following each shoot the Photo Editor is responsible for managing the photo submission process, photo editing (image selection), and, working with the Marketers, Creative, Graphic Design, and Copy Edit team, on final image placement in layout and final color-correction.
Essential Job Functions
- Edit an assigned set of photo categories for the Company, researching Photographers, assigning photo shoots, coordinating shoots with Patagonia ambassadors and other athletes, and then receiving and editing submissions.
- Work with Creative Team and various Clients to find the most effective photo for each assigned project under his/her photo categories.
- Create photo briefs for an assigned set of seasonal campaigns as well as an assigned set of general product categories.
- Seed product to Contributing Photographers on seasonal basis and maintain frequent communication with Photographers about seasonal photo needs
- Maintain extensive knowledge of and experience in the Sport categories to which the Photo Editor is assigned, to include thorough understanding of which samples are appropriate to seed for which sports, trips, and expeditions.
- Identify appropriate Photographers to shoot assignments for his/her assigned categories, and create deadlines which produce accurate and timely work.
- Track Photographer assignment fees for his/her respective photo categories.
- Stay current and ahead of photography submissions as they are uploaded to the Company ftp, editing as the submissions come in.
- Maintain communication with category Ambassadors for coordination of photo shoots.
- Work with Ambassadors in respective categories on identifying stories and trips for the blog and Social Media.
- Work with Social Media team on pulling appropriate photos for respective categories on a regular basis.
- Oversee color-correction of final photo selects.
- Research caption information and model releases for published photos as needed.
- Identify new photographic talent for future use.
- Assist other department members in creating photo galleries.
- Responsible for the timely follow up on all outside Photographer inquiries.
- As a member of the Photo team, provide miscellaneous support to the overall Photo Department.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to look at a computer screen for extended periods of time.
- Ability to maintain a composed and professional demeanor within a flexible and (at times noisy) work environment.
- Must be able to travel domestically and internationally utilizing various transportation methods: Ability to travel internationally in coach class.
Minimum Job Requirements
- Degree in Photography or related field
- 2 years experience in digital photography workflow
- Working knowledge of Apple computers with demonstrated experience in the use of such programs as: Photoshop, Lightroom, Outlook, Microsoft Word and Excel, Portfolio
- Ability to translate a written creative brief into photography appropriate to a project
- Working knowledge of professional digital photography, digital workflow, terminology, and color correction
- Technical knowledge of the sports the Company produces clothing for in order to recognize publishable photos
- Ability to review images with a technical understanding of image reproduction
- Knowledge of design procedures from the comping process through the printing process
- Extreme attention to detail required
- Proven ability to establish and maintain schedules
- Excellent customer service skills, in person, on the phone and in writing
- Comfortable with team-based work structure; ability to demonstrate flexibility on the job
- Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers, and vendors.