Operations Manager job
|Company Type:||Certified B Corporation|
|Impact Area:||Environmental Sustainability|
|Company Name:|| Patagonia|
Job Title: Operations Manager
Reports to: Store Manager
This position will assist in managing the retail store consistent with the short and long-term interests of the company, its employees, and the local community in which they work. The Operations Manager will work in conjunction with the Store Manager, Sales Manager and Shipper to complete operational duties for the retail store. The Operations Manager will support the Store Manager in achieving customer service and sales goals, monitoring expenses, and ensuring the store follows appropriate processes and procedures, in alignment with company goals and mission.
Essential Job Functions:
• Schedule regular staff meetings Floor Leader meetings: encourage input.
• Ensure the company policy and procedures are communicated in a timely manner and adhered to accordingly.
• Identify and coordinate all building maintenance projects.
• Maintain an efficient ordering system to ensure that all necessary store and office supplies are available as needed.
• Review building for safety or security gaps and ensure timely remediation of any issues.
• Ensure building inspections, fire extinguisher services and other operating permits are up to date.
• Maintain emergency plan for the store, updating at least every 6 months. Include phone trees and evacuation plans.
• Maintain store security system, including building security and cash handling.
• Assume responsibility for opening and closing the store and securing all assets.
• Process weekly change orders with the bank.
• Ensure appropriate paperwork is sent to corporate offices in a timely manner, complete Monday packet weekly.
• Work with Store Manager and Sales Manager on creation of annual store business plans.
• Ensure the office, storage areas and break areas are clean, well-organized and in good working order.
Personnel, Leadership and Development
• Assist in the hiring of people who pursue passions that related to our products and philosophy.
• Oversee the new hire onboarding process and off boarding process for terminating employees. Ensure that employment documentation is reviewed within legal timeframes and in alignment with company processes and procedure.
• Ensure that all new hires are receiving appropriate training.
• Work with L&D department to implement retail training modules.
• Develop and support a positive attitude toward Patagonia Works.
• Assume store manager responsibilities in his/her absence.
• Maintain employee attitude and morale by recognizing outstanding performance and service.
• Motivate and develop staff in order to encourage their professional development.
• Provide an “open door” policy where employees are free to express their concerns and feelings without fear of retribution or ill will.
• Maintain open and positive relations with all divisions of the company.
• Working with the store manager, develop a pool of potential sales associates to meet the long range retail and company objectives.
• Create bi-weekly work schedule and post a minimum of 2 weeks prior to start of schedule. Work with Store Manager and Sales Manager to ensure staffing levels are appropriate to sales volume and within budget.
• Coordinate participation of company benefits with store employees.
• Inspire employees so that each person contributes to the productivity of the store.
• Delegate work load appropriately and effectively.
• Work with the store manager to evaluate all store employees. Ensure that reviews are given on schedule and documentation is received in Human Resources according to the guidelines outlined by the Human Resources Department.
• When necessary, discipline employees consistent with the company disciplinary policies.
• Execute physical inventory annually in conjunction and alignment with the corporate office instructions.
• Follow the instructions of Patagonia Retail Services specific to inventory control: paperwork flow, timeliness of reporting receipt of goods, inventory transfers and other related inventory matters.
• Work with Sales Manager, Shipper and Merchandiser to ensure timely flow of inventory to the sales floor and stock room, to optimize sales.
• Work with Shipper to plan for seasonal changes, off price events and DM.
• Ensure repairs are completed weekly and/or shipped to Reno for repair. Maintain organized files for customer communication.
• Ensure damaged, defective and past season goods are processed in a timely accurate manner.
• Assist in protecting company assets through promoting awareness of loss prevention. Complete cycle counts as needed.
• Ensure the completion of locate orders in a timely manner on a daily basis.
• Ensure that the stockroom is clean and well-organized.
• Instill the meaning and importance of customer engagement in all retail employees. Empower staff to “use their best judgment” in all customer service matters.
• Promote and monitor quality service among staff through training and by acting as a positive role model.
• Create “seamless customer service” by making every effort to find merchandise for customers if an item is not in stock.
• Be personally available to all customers to communicate and identify their needs and address their questions or concerns.
• Develop the stores own “core” customer service.
Enviro and Activism
• Create stores that are centers for the community and can aggressively educate our customers on environmental, social, and political issues.
• Identify appropriate tithing recipients. Work to align ourselves with small grass roots groups that focus on direct action.
• Ensure the grants and clothing donations are utilized annually and appropriately filed with corporate departments.
• Encourage all store employees to participate in grants selection process.
• Educate self and staff on global and local issues. Get actively involved.
• Ensure we “walk our talk”. Operate stores that are environmentally responsible by recycling, conserving water, electricity and carpooling or cycling.
• Work in conjunction with retail marketer to execute store events which support the company mission and increase community involvement.
• Encourage all staff to participate in planning events in the store.
• Ensure that the store is utilizing local social media in alignment with company expectations.
• Ensure that the store is in compliance with all State and Federal laws, including wage and hour, human rights and equal employment opportunities.
• Maintain safe working conditions for employees and customers. Resolve safety concerns quickly.
• Ensure store security from internal and external theft and know proper apprehension and prosecution procedures for your state.
Other Job Functions:
Perform additional duties as assigned by the Store Manager.
Ability to stand/walk for extended periods of time, necessary to provide sales floor coverage related to customer service and loss prevention.
Ability to reach overhead, bend, squat, kneel, and carry product, necessary for customer service, inventory re-stock, and store merchandising.
Ability to walk up and down staircase, carrying boxes, product, and other necessary store related items.
Ability to perform store maintenance items: sweep, vacuum, empty trash, clean.
Ability to safely lift boxes up to 55 lbs.
Comfortable climbing ladders.
Typical work week is approximately 40 hours - available to work minimum of one weekend day, one opening shift and one closing shift throughout the week.
Some travel required.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
Previous retail sales experience.
Ability to give clear directions and set expectations for staff.
Excellent organizational skills.
Excel and Word proficient.
Accuracy and attention to detail.
Effective communication skills.
Ability to train and delegate effectively.
Problem solving ability.
Ability to effectively work with and motivate team.
Patagonia product use/knowledge.
Surf-specific experience/knowledge required for surf store locations.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.
Jobs like this one
- Digital Business Operations Manager Certified B Corporation Biotechnology/Pharmaceuticals
- Warehouse Operations Manager - Louisville, KY Certified B Corporation Consumer Packaged Goods Manufacturing Kentucky (KY) Louisville
- Operations Manager (Washington, DC or Chicago, IL) Certified B Corporation Nonprofit Charitable Organizations Operations Illinois (IL) Chicago