Kaiser Permanente, founded in 1945, is committed to helping shape the future of health care. As the largest integrated care delivery organization in the United States, Kaiser Permanente is recognized as one of America’s leading health care providers and nonprofit health plans. Our mission is to provide high-quality, affordable health care services and to improve the health of our members and the communities we serve.
Kaiser Permanente Northwest (KPNW) — made up of over 11,000 employees, more than 1,300 physicians, and 150 dentists — provides and arranges medical care exclusively for health plan members. In the Portland-Vancouver area, Kaiser Permanente operates 34 medical offices and 2 hospitals. Today, the Northwest Region serves more than 576,000 medical and 244,000 dental members, whose care is largely provided by Northwest Permanente, P.C., (NWP) and Permanente Dental Associates (PDA).
Northwest Permanente (NWP) is seeking a Senior Recruiter to join our Recruitment and Retention Department, working directly with department Chiefs, physician team leaders, NWP leadership, Director of Recruitment and Retention, and candidates to achieve staffing targets for Portland/Vancouver, Mid-Valley, and Longview/Kelso service delivery systems. The Senior Recruiter is accountable for effective outreach, screening, interviewing and facilitating the hiring of regular staff, locum tenens, moonlighters, non-physician clinicians and administrative staff in the Northwest Region. This position also provides consulting leadership for high-quality and cost-effective strategic planning, project management, and process improvement for major initiatives and key lines of business.
Manages or coordinates the consulting and analytical support for these projects and processes and is accountable for the quality of the project and outcomes. Has responsibility for operational programs and large, complex projects that impact care delivery. Provides general oversight and guidance to administrators, ensuring quality and productivity standards are maintained while meeting department deliverables and regional strategic priorities.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Determines with recruiting partners the criteria for selection of clinical and administrative staff; train KPB managers on recruiting processes for administrative staff; train Chiefs and their recruiting teams on recruiting processes for physicians and clinical staff. Ensure effective working relationships with department leadership to facilitate successful hiring.
- Act as primary contact for interested candidates, providing detailed information regarding practice opportunities with NWP. Explain position requirements, hiring processes and complex compensation and benefits package. Invites selected candidates to interview.
- Participates in on-site interviews for selected candidates. Prepares written salary and benefit analysis for detailed presentation of first-year financial package. Resolves difficult salary and other employment issues with candidates. Negotiates with candidate for final financial package. Presents preliminary employment offers at the request of department Chiefs. Assists in development and maintenance of standard contracts for all hires.
- Collaborates with physicians and department leadership to develop recruiting strategies for successful and cost-effective searches. Requires thorough knowledge of professional search profiles and detailed knowledge of outreach options. Manages candidates through UltiPro and other recruitment reporting systems.
- Designs and develops high impact marketing materials, collateral, web content and outreach strategies to secure prospective candidates. These strategies include, but are not limited to, print and on-line advertisements, electronic bulletins, e-mail blasts, mailers and other digital advertising strategies.
- Researches, recommends and attends local, regional and national conferences and residency/fellowship programs to source candidates and increase brand awareness, exposure and search visibility.
- Monitors initial credentialing function for professional staff. Screens credentials of all candidates, per the standards set by NCQA, JCAHO, MDQC and the NWP Board of Directors. Collaborates with RQRM Department to ensure that all physicians and clinician staff hired complete the credentialing process timely and in compliance. Provides direction to recruiting staff for necessary follow-up regarding training, licensing, sanctions and other credentialing/privileging issues. Must be knowledgeable and conversant in all aspects of above NWP/regulatory requirements.
- Collaborates with Director of Recruitment and Retention, managers, and department Chiefs on a regular basis to discuss workforce planning, recruitment strategies, candidate pools and processes. Provides frequent consultation to executive leadership regarding innovative recruiting processes, more timely/aggressive recruiting techniques, and follow-up issues with candidates.
- Acts as a consultant to NWP Executive Leadership Team and the Compensation and Benefits Committee regarding staffing issues.
- Collaborates with recruitment teams of National Permanente Medical Groups to facilitate more cost-effective and efficient ways to market Permanente in print, at conventions and in other outreach opportunities. Successfully completes special projects as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, human resources or related areas
- Eight (8) years progressive recruiting or business related experience in multi-site healthcare or business organizations.
- Thorough knowledge of strategies and resources to effectively recruit physicians and other non-physician clinicians.
- Thorough knowledge of NWP and KPNW employment practices, financial packages, and hiring standards. Working knowledge of clinical operations.
- Working knowledge of regulatory agencies applicable to NWP and KPNW including JCAHO, NCQA, Board of Medical Examiners, and other state/federal consumer agencies as they pertain to recruitment and hiring standards for physicians and other clinicians.
- Working knowledge of employment law including EEOC requirements, state labor laws, immigration and ADA requirements.
- High level of interpersonal, written and oral communication skills; exceptional customer service skills
- Skilled in complex consulting and interacting effectively with all levels of leadership within and outside NWP, with strong ability to guide and influence in sensitive situations
- Strong negotiation, presentation and public speaking skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects efficiently in a fast-paced environment under pressure of deadlines.
- Ability to utilize UltiPro, internet and office systems as recruiting tools.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills and the ability to effectively work as part of a team.
- Strategic analysis and strong analytical and problem solving skills to diagnose complex staffing issues.
- Ability to conduct effective interviews with professional staff, evaluate candidates and make appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to continuously assess and improve recruiting systems and processes and to initiate staff development.
PREFERRED WORK EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS, & EDUCATION
- Master’s degree in business, marketing, human resources or closely related areas
- Five (5) years of physician recruiting experience in multi-site healthcare organizations