We’re searching for a Director of of Product Design who can help us make better products for our customers. We're looking for someone who can build up and lead our design team, work closely with product management and engineering to ship great product, and partner with senior management to shape our company's future.
About the Team
Kickstarter’s Product Design team works on beautiful and functional tools to help our community create, discover, explore, back, and share creative projects. We collaborate closely with the product management and engineering teams to solve hard problems, ensure a consistent user experience, and push the needle forward for creativity so Kickstarter is always engaging, inspiring and innovative.
About the Role
As the Director of Product Design, you’ll have the opportunity to lead a talented group of product designers to positively impact the lives of Kickstarter creators, backers, and help innovate to serve the creative community at large. Day to day, you’ll manage a team of product designers who are tasked with designing innovative and intuitive product solutions all across the site and our mobile applications.
In This Role, You Must:
- Have significant experience (at minimum 3 years) running a product design team. Ideally this team should consist of a mix of graphic designers, visual designers and UX/UI designers.
- Love leading, coaching, mentoring and growing your team. It is imperative you are comfortable putting in place the structures and processes for a healthy and high-functioning design team.
- Have strong experience recruiting and hiring best-in-class product designers. This role will include growing the design team beyond its current size.
- Be comfortable partnering and collaborating closely with product and engineering leadership. This includes fostering inter-team collaboration and defining roles and responsibilities for designers as they interface with the broader product team.
- Be comfortable with standard design practices like design critiques for feedback, wireframing/prototyping of ideas pre-implementation, standard practices to foster ideation, research, and iteration and creation of a component-based design system.
In This Role, You Will:
- Collaborate closely with product and engineering leadership.
- Help shape your team’s roadmap through research, observation, and iteration.
- Lead a team to create compelling user flows and translate them into simple, usable, and elegant experiences.
- Help shape and evolve the design team’s culture.
- Proven track record running product design teams.
- Natural leadership abilities including great communication skills (written, verbal and via presentation) along with the ability to give/receive critical feedback.
- Have a design portfolio that demonstrates a strong command of visual design, intuitive user experience, and strategic problem solving.
- Work well in a fast moving, iterative environment.
- Be comfortable using data and user research to support design decisions.
- Are unafraid to change your opinion in the face of new information or understanding of the product goals—you have strong beliefs, but you’re open-minded.
- Want to seek out and develop a design process that encourages collaboration between other designers and product teams.
- You are a creative thinker capable of translating vision and big ideas into meaningful, shippable product.
- Always value diversity and inclusion in your design process.