CAFÉ SHIFT LEADER
Reports to the Manager, Baker Berry Café
As Café Shift Leader you are an ambassador for King Arthur Flour, sharing our passion for our artisan food and coffee and being a positive role model for your team. Provide leadership for the café staff by maintaining the highest level of customer care in support of the brand and mission. In addition to responsibilities as a Café Associate, the Café Shift Leader position with limited supervision takes an active role in training staff, overseeing opening and closing, maintaining operational policies and procedures and leading the shift.
Essential Job Functions
- Lead assigned shift to ensure acceptable behavior, high level of performance and that all stations are properly staffed.
- Open and close POS registers following procedure.
- Prepare deposits/maintain change funds at proper levels.
- Prioritize and delegate workloads effectively throughout your shift with limited supervision.
- Implement a visually appealing product presentation; ensure display is managed throughout the day.
- Schedule breaks/lunches for staff during shifts.
- Update management team about the progress of the café and staff on a regular basis.
- Provide immediate, supportive, and appropriate guidance to staff during assigned shifts.
- Update team on processes and schedules.
- Partner with other shift leaders to ensure smooth transitions between shifts, and to keep one another current on changes.
- Maintain professional composure and calm demeanor during busy periods and when challenges arise.
- Move with purpose and efficiency in the space.
- Be a positive, consistent, and respectful role model.
- Recognize co-workers’ performance and service; inspire employees so that each person contributes to the success of the café.
- Assist with new hire training; support staff with ongoing development.
- Daily check-in with your team prior to the start of the shift.
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings.
- Ensure café cleanliness standards are embraced by entire team.
- Maintain and direct daily cleaning schedules.
- Ensure adherence to all food and work place regulations, procedures and policies within the café.
- High school diploma and 3+ years of related experience
- Previous supervisor experience a plus
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Excellent customer service
- Exceptional verbal and written communication
- Strong leadership and organizational abilities
- Effective problem solver
- Flexibility: evening and weekend shifts required
- Accuracy with money handling and register use
- Capacity to work in a fast paced environment
- Ability to function and multitask independently at a high level
- Comfort with providing timely and actionable feedback to individuals
- Footwear must be closed toed, non-slip shoes
- Socks must be worn
- Long pants, shorts or skirt required
- Clean T-shirt (provided)
- Clean black apron (provided)
- Name Tag (provided)
- Hairnet, chef hat, or Bake hat must be worn (provided)
COGNITIVE, PHYSICAL & ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from employees, customers, and the public.
- Ability to solve practical problems and effectively manage multiple priorities in a variety of situations.
- Ability to successfully interpret a variety of instructions, both written and oral; demonstrates strong and respectful communication skills in order to gain appropriate information should instructions be difficult to understand.
- While performing the essential functions of this job the incumbent is frequently required to stand, and walk throughout the day for extended periods of time.
- The incumbent is required to use hands, speak and hear, read and write, use a keyboard, and push, pull, move and/or lift up to 50 pounds.
- Work is performed inside with little exposure to outdoor temperatures, dirt or dust. Working conditions are moderately noisy.
This should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities. There may be some variation and/or development of the above duties and responsibilities without changing the general nature of the job.