Product Development Engineer - Retail/Fashion job in Fitzroy
Vacancy has expired
You’re a production pro with experience in soft goods manufacturing who’s ready to help us refine and engineer our designs.
IN A NUTSHELL...
At Bellroy, we work hard to create products that make our customers’ lives easier, last a long time and stay true to their purpose. Our design approach is one of simplicity, more from less, and delivering form and function in equal measure – and the product development team is vital to bringing our designs to life in the most effective way. We’re looking for a Product Development Engineer to help us refine our designs and engineer them in preparation for manufacturing. This includes testing and pre-production prototyping (in-house and with external suppliers) as many times as it takes to ensure that the transition to production is seamless and well considered. So, if you can bring your practical expertise, critical desire for improvement and appreciation for good design, we’ll offer the tools for you to do your thing, a world-class crew to bounce off, and the support you need to flourish.
WE'RE LOOKING FOR A CERTAIN SOMEONE...
You have solid expertise in the production of soft and hard goods and will be happy to hit the ground running from day one. With exceptional project management skills, your experience comes from exposure to the full manufacturing process and stage gate management of products going to market. And most importantly, you can apply all that expertise to turn a design vision into something practical, realistic and production-friendly, while maintaining the integrity and character of the original design.
You’re persistent and committed to the end result. Just like our design team who hack, experiment and try different combinations until they find the best way to get all the elements working together, you take a similar approach. If something’s not quite right, you’ll go again. However many times it takes.
The comfort zone isn’t where you prefer to hang. Instead, you relish the ability to try new things, shift and adapt, and push for improvement in any way you can.
You love learning and progressing your skillset. That means you'll be comfortable talking about your weaknesses just as much as your strengths. And you care enough about the end result to seek input or offer a suggestion when an idea strikes. Which is awesome, because we’re a collaborative bunch who park their egos at the door. Step on in and you’ll see what we mean.
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF OUR PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER MIGHT INCLUDE...
- Discussing a new design concept with the design team and thinking about the process to make it
- Working on some drawings and 3D models for the tooling we might need to make
- Share and discuss your ideas and 3D models on the tooling and process to make with your manager
- Checking development samples from the supplier, making your comments for them in a document and having a discussion with them on the phone to make all of the necessary changes clear
- Designing some tests for testing a new product which is in the development process
- Undertake some research on new technologies for changing a traditional cutting process
- Use our lab to try some product making ideas and make samples to test them
A FEW SKILLS YOU MUST POSSESS...
- 3+ years experience in a similar role, demonstrating clear tenure in product development and engineering (experience in soft goods a bonus)
- Proficiency in 3D CAD
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes, injection moulding and 3D printing
- Familiarity with Illustrator, Adobe cloud-based software and software/technology in general
- Serious nous around the manufacturing process
- Extensive testing knowledge and supplier prototyping management
- A strong desire to learn, grow and adapt to shifting environments
LOCATION AND HOURS
This is a full-time role located in Fitzroy, with some travel to our design lab in Bells Beach.
Have a good look around our website, read Our Story page and get a feel for who we are. If you think you’d be a good fit, visit this link: http://grnh.se/0p4jak1 or check out the careers page on www.bellroy.com and provide us with your cover letter, resume and answers to the questions below:
- If you’re tasked with acquiring three testing machines for our lab, what would you choose and why?
- We would like to do a construction improvement on an existing product that’s already in production. What would your process be for this update, from start to finish?
- We have a strict timeframe of two weeks to start production on a new product, but to create the ideal version of the product it will take three weeks (minimum) of your work. What do you do?
START DATE: We’re ready when you are!