Looking for a job to get you out of bed?
Casper is seeking an Industrial Design Director to join our growing team. You will use your design leadership and expertise to direct the design and development of a broad range of sleep products.
Casper (casper.com) is a global sleep company that launched in 2014 with an obsessively engineered, outrageously comfortable mattress sold directly to consumers. Its critically acclaimed sleep surface was developed in-house, has a sleek design, and is delivered in a small, "how did they do that?"-sized box. The company is one of the fastest-growing consumer brands of all time, and its product line has expanded to include sheets, pillows, a matching foundation, and a dog mattress. Casper was named one of Fast Company's 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2017, and its eponymous mattress was crowned one of TIME Magazine's Best Inventions.
We are deeply committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce so that we represent all those who dream big equally.
When you’re not catching zzz’s, this is what you’ll do
- Work directly with a team of industrial designers, design researchers, packaging designers, engineers, product developers, and product managers to develop soft- and hard-good products that enable a good night’s sleep.
- Serve as design lead for multiple development projects from concept to launch (and beyond).
- Be a designer: brainstorm, synthesize, sketch, make prototypes, 3D model, render, craft slides and decks, critique, and iterate over and over.
- Share the design development process to everyone at Casper. Get people excited about your designs to help them market, sell, support, produce, and warranty the products you develop.
- Participate in business development and strategy efforts to grow category and product offering.
- Author design briefs and product briefs to guide both internal and external design activities.
- Work closely with other design directors to develop design processes with an ever growing team and portfolio of products.
- Manage staff--setting goals, expectations, and providing guidance for professional growth. Inspire and help build a solid culture within the office.
- Work closely with the design research team to develop user insight driven strategies and principles.
- Communicate with and travel to existing and new factories to learn, prototype, critique, and ultimately manufacture world class products.
Our dream candidate...
- Is passionate about product with 12+ years of experience as an industrial designer.
- Is curious, detail oriented, and passionate about developing products that address meaningful user needs.
- Is resourceful, creative, and capable of designing within both fuzzy and tight constraints on fast-moving timelines.
- Is a highly motivated self-starter. Flexible, adaptable, and able to work in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Has demonstrated experience in bringing multiple products to market/launch.
- Is skilled in both 2D (hand sketch, adobe cs, keynote ) and 3D (solidworks, rhino, keyshot) applications used in the design process.
- Enjoys presenting to small or large groups, and in front of a camera (if needed).
- Is comfortable managing junior to senior level designers.
The syrup on your waffles
- Salary to pay your bills, a potential bonus for some splurging, and equity so that you’re part of the Casper family.
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance to help you with those coughs or cavities (too many waffles...).
- 401K program so you can still spend money later in life.
- Extra cash incentives for being healthy and fit (we actually give you money to track your sleep!).
- Unlimited vacation policy. If you need time off just take it; we trust you!
- Bi-weekly catered lunches to catch up with your teammates.
- Free snacks and coffee, including a huge breakfast selection (10 types of cereal anyone?)
- Nap pods, for those days when you stayed out a little too late...
- A full gifted bed set when you join (mattress, sheets, pillows, the works)!
If you dream about this stuff this job is probably right for you. We look forward to learning more about you, but if you’re feeling sleepy, take a nap before applying!