General Manager job in San Francisco
Vacancy has expired
Create Community Through Food With Us! The Bi-Rite Family of Businesses is a learning space with endless opportunity for education and on-the-job-training about community building, hospitable service, and of course, Good Food. As a Certified B Corporation, we believe it’s our responsibility to prioritize our people and planet over profit and we do this by building meaningful relationships with each part of our extended family: the food we make and sell inextricably connects our staff, our guests, our producers, and environment. Named one of Forbes 25 Best Small Companies in America, our team is comprised of entrepreneurs, dreamers, doers, artists, activists, and food lovers. If you’re a people person with a passion for Good Food and nourishing conversation, we invite you to create community through food with us!
Bi-Rite Family of Businesses is seeking an experienced General Manager for our Divisadero store. The GM is responsible for everything that happens within the four walls of the business— staff, guest service, all procurement and receiving processes, opening and closing procedures, health and safety of all equipment and facilities, food production, financial performance and a myriad of all processes and procedures. The GM leads a team of 75-80 employees, including 8-12 direct-report managers. The GM Partners with the Director of Product and Bi-Rite buyers to purchase, receive and store items that increase BRFOB profit. The GM partners with the People Director to recruit, train and develop all staff members. The GM partners with the Director of Operations to achieve outstanding internal and external service, and maintain superlative operations. The GM collaborates closely with the other GMs, the buying team and the rest of the Bi-Rite family of Business leadership team to achieve company goals, drive toward our 2024 Vision and maintain a consistent culture.
- Guest Focused – Identifies opportunities to benefit internal/external guests, builds solutions that meet guest expectations.
- Optimizes work processes - Assures on-going operation measurement and process improvement; seeks ways to improve from small tweaks to complete engineering.
- Adaptability – Readily adapts personal, interpersonal and leadership behavior; uses different approaches for different situations.
- Team developer – Forms teams with appropriate mix of styles; Establishes common mindset; builds morale; share wins; fosters open dialogue.
- Accountability – follows through on commitments and ensures others do the same
- Collaborative – works cooperatively with other across the organization to achieve shared objectives.
- Communicates effectively – is effective in a variety of communication settings
- Organizational Savvy - Maintains functional relationships; steers through the organizational maze
- Plans and Aligns – Maintains a business plan that guides the team and syncs up with organizational prioritiea.
To be successful in this role you will need:
- Facilities Management experience
- Deep understanding and experience in several of the following areas: retail grocery, prepared food preparation and sales, produce, wine sales, cheese sales.
- Extensive experience managing inventory, procurement and receiving.
- Computer Savvy – able to navigate various software tools including inventory software, point of sale software, labeling software and MS Office Suite.
- Analytical/Mathematical Acumen – ability to analyze sales data, ability to calculate labor and food costs.
- Project Management – experience organizing long term projects and leading teams. Experience leveraging technology to organize projects.
- Rich experience managing managers and large teams.
- Deep appreciate for food and wine.
- College degree or equivalent experience
- 5+ years’ experience managing high volume food retail facility
- 5+ years’ experience managing and developing a team
- Expert knowledge of retail guest service
- Expert knowledge of food procurement and inventory management
- Strong public speaking skills
- Strong presentation and meeting preparation skills
- Comfortable with Microsoft Office and project management tools.
- Conversational Spanish preferred.
Our unique staff culture and generous benefits package sets us apart from other food businesses. We offer a 25% (alcohol 20%) discount on purchases throughout the businesses, a meal provided with your shift, medical, dental and vision plan after 60 days of employment, a 401K retirement plan with employer match, access to 18 Reasons classes and the opportunity for career advancement. And of course, the opportunity to meaningfully contribute to a team of mindful, smart and happy people at work every day!
Submit your resume and cover letter. If you are genuinely interested in this exciting opportunity, we’d love for you to take the time to write a few sentences telling what you know and love about the Bi-Rite Family of Businesses, your interest in working at Bi-Rite, and what you hope to learn by working with us.
Bi-Rite does not offer relocation fees.