Casper is seeking a bright, energetic, business-minded and self-motivated commercial attorney with 5-7 years of proven experience with product counseling, privacy/data security, international expansion, IP portfolio management and related drafting and negotiating commercial agreements experiences gained at a leading law firm and in-house at a technology or Internet (ideally consumer-facing web or ecommerce) company to join its rapidly growing team. In this position, you will help lead the Legal team’s efforts in the foregoing areas, working closely with our Product, Engineering, Marketing, Data and IT teams, and interface regularly with members of our executive and other business teams, to manage and execute on a broad range of product-, IP- and information management-related initiatives.
Our ideal candidate is sharp, quick to learn, and independent. You’ll be contributing to Casper’s mission by supporting our legal work across the organization, so strong problem-solving skills, excellent judgment, and impeccable attention to detail are key requirements.
This position reports directly to the General Counsel and is based in the company’s corporate headquarters in Union Square.
DESCRIPTION & DUTIES
This position’s principal responsibilities and duties include:
- Drafting and negotiating a variety of coverage area-specific commercial agreements, including license, vendor, technology, master services, confidentiality and other agreements, and supporting the Legal team’s negotiation of applicable privacy, data security and IP provisions of inbound and outbound agreements
- Creating and implementing procedures for contract management, organization, and documentation
- Advising Product, Engineering, Marketing and other business teams on user experience, product flows and other product-related matters to ensure compliance with privacy, consumer protection, payment, marketing and other applicable laws and regulations
- Setting strategy for and managing our IP portfolio, including conducting trademark clearances, preparing and filing trademark applications, advising on infringement risk
- Furthering the development and protection of our IP portfolio, including coordinating with various teams to determine priorities and strategies and counseling and educating engineering teams on matters of patentability
- Advising appropriate stakeholders on compliance matters across all aspects of U.S. and international privacy laws and regulations, including data protection, retention, use/sharing, security and breach rules, as well as required privacy notices and relevant process and infrastructure requirements, as applicable
- Leading data incident response preparedness, including practicing and evolving our data incident response plan
- Overseeing our information and records management, including alignment with privacy and security policies
- Leading or assisting the Legal team’s efforts in the preparation, implementation and refinement of appropriate forms, processes and procedures
- Building close relationships with personnel at supported business operations, and obtaining and maintaining a strong knowledge of the products and objectives of those operations
- Managing outside counsel
- Conducting periodic employee trainings on relevant matters
- Engaging in or leading various other Legal projects and duties as needed, including due diligence and related support on strategic transactions
- Providing substantive support for the rest of the Legal team as needed
- Degree from a top law school with exceptional academic credentials
- 4+ years of relevant experience, preference for at least two years at a leading law firm
- In-house at a technology or Internet (ideally consumer-facing web or ecommerce) company preferred
- Must be admitted, active and in good standing with the New York State bar
- Strong general commercial contract skills and experience
The successful candidate must:
- Be passionate about technology and energized by the challenges of serving a dynamic, hyper-growth company
- Be extremely bright but also have an EQ that matches your IQ, and the ability to engage effectively with all levels of employees and management
- Have excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills
- Be detail-oriented, organized, efficient and resourceful with strong follow-through skills
- Be highly analytical and have exceptional business and legal issue identification and problem-solving skills
- Have a practical, business-oriented approach to problem-solving and be able to effectively counsel internal clients by providing them with clear, concise and commercial advice, and creative solutions where necessary, on established timelines to meet their business needs
- Be a strong and astute negotiator with impeccable judgment
- Be able to operate autonomously while being a team player who brings a positive, “can do” attitude to the workplace and works collaboratively with other members of the Legal team and with internal clients
- Be able to simultaneously manage workloads, multiple client demands and shifting priorities within a fast-paced, rapidly evolving environment
- Have a strong desire to learn the business and new areas of law and to function integrally as part of an interdisciplinary team
- Be collegial, hard working, confident, a self-starter and have a passion for results.
- Be a multi-tasker with excellent analytical and legal skills
- Have the ability to understand business needs and partner with the business to create solutions
- Strong understanding of the interplay between legal and business risk
- Be organized, detail-oriented, resourceful, and flexible
- Be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines
The syrup on your waffles
- Salary to pay your bills, a potential bonus for some splurging, and equity so that you’re part of the Casper family.
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance to help you with those coughs or cavities (too many waffles...).
- 401K program so you can still spend money later in life.
- Extra cash incentives for being healthy and fit (we actually give you money to track your sleep!).
- Unlimited vacation policy. If you need time off just take it; we trust you!
- Bi-weekly catered lunches to catch up with your teammates.
- Free snacks and coffee, including a huge breakfast selection (10 types of cereal anyone?)
- Nap pods, for those days when you stayed out a little too late...
- A full gifted bed set when you join (mattress, sheets, pillows, the works)!
If you dream about this stuff this job is probably right for you. We look forward to learning more about you, but if you’re feeling sleepy, take a nap before applying!