Are you ready to put your high-energy, process-driven perfectionism to work opening the most interesting eyewear stores around? Looking for a chance to use your razor-sharp estimating and budgeting skills to help give more people access to affordable eyewear? If you’re a highly skilled and experienced Director of Retail Construction looking for a refreshing opportunity with a rapidly growing brand, we’ve got just the job for you. Read on!
What you’ll do:
- Lead a team of construction project managers as well as outsourced consultants and vendor partners.
- Oversee the construction of all Warby Parker stores, optical labs, and corporate headquarters projects
- Ensure that our stores are built on time and on budget, that tenant allowance is collected in a timely manner, and that warranty periods are well managed
- Develop, manage, and maintain budgets, and provide regular reporting to the team on current budget standing by month and project
- Ensure the timely procurement of retail store fixtures, millwork, and other owner-supplied items and services in order to meet store-opening schedules
- Support the real estate team by providing early input as new locations are reviewed, and provide accurate and timely construction-cost estimates for real estate pro forma development
- Independently provide each project’s scope of work, budget estimate, and timeline as needed under rigid budgeting parameters
- Support the design team by providing collaborative input regarding space planning, storefront design, storefront signage, and other prototypical design elements
- Review architectural drawings for accuracy of layout, fixture plan, RCP, and signage
- Review leases and construction exhibits, and negotiate landlord work letters to include company-standard work letter requirements
Who you are:
- Armed with strong time-management skills, as well as the ability to handle multiple projects and work independently
- Able to lead and develop a department, including remote team members and external business partners (with the experience to prove it!)
- Knowledgeable of the various disciplines involved in the store development process, from market analysis all the way through to store opening
- A critical thinker who can communicate complex thoughts and ideas in a clear and concise manner
- A master problem-solver and independent decision-maker
- Able to resolve all issues at hand with a sense of urgency.
- A cooperative team player who knows how to work well with employees, vendors, and customers alike
- A demonstrated leader and people manager with the ability to motivate teammates, help develop their skills, delegate tasks, and make effective business decisions
- The proud owner of a bachelor’s degree in Construction Management or another relevant field (related work experience will be considered in lieu of education!)
- Equipped with 10 or more years of experience leading retail construction and/or leading the budgeting of CAPEX projects (including the management of significant budgets)
- Well-versed in of the general requirements of building and maintaining retail spaces, and the nuances associated with constructing and maintaining them in various retail environments (including street locations, malls, lifestyle centers, and mixed-use developments)
- Experienced with procurement processes
- Generally proficient in Microsoft Office (namely Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
- Experience with Expesite construction management software
About Warby Parker:
Warby Parker is a transformative lifestyle brand with a lofty objective: to offer designer eyewear at a revolutionary price while leading the way for socially conscious businesses. By engaging directly with consumers, we’re able to offer ultra-high-quality, vintage-inspired frames for $95 including prescription lenses and shipping. We focus on the bigger picture, too: social innovation is woven into the DNA of our company, and for every pair of glasses purchased, a pair is distributed to someone in need.
Because all work and no play makes a dull office, we fill our days with snacks, surprises, pneumatic tubes, and, when appropriate, costumes. As a team member at Warby Parker, you can also look forward to company outings, guest speakers, volunteering opportunities, and brain-stimulating activities.
In 2015, Fast Company named us the #1 Most Innovative Company. We’re also a certified B Corporation, which means that we are held to the highest standards of social and environmental performance.
Some benefits and perks of working at Warby Parker:
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Flexible “My Time” vacation policy
- Parental leave policy
- Retirement savings plan (401k)
- Free eyewear (discounts for friends and family!)
- Health & wellness stipend
- Quarterly team outings