Retail, Communications/PR Specialist job in New York City
Warby Parker is looking for a standout Retail Communications Specialist to support all of our retail initiatives. The person in this role will be responsible for creating and executing PR strategies that introduce, enhance, and elevate the Warby Parker brand in both new and existing retail markets.
The Retail Public Relations Specialist will collaborate both internally with other departments and externally with our agency to develop integrated retail opening plans, coordinate with store liaisons on communications-related inquiries, and travel to new retail locations on an as-needed basis to host press appointments with local media. They’ll also oversee external engagements for executives and other company employees.
What You’ll Do:
- Collaborate across Warby Parker’s internal Brand Management and Retail Operations teams on the creation of relevant collateral, cohesive messaging, and execution for all new retail location launches
- Partner with the Brand Communications Director on the development and execution of Warby Parker’s retail communications strategy to secure meaningful editorial coverage of new store openings and activations
- Craft messaging, market research reports, and relevant assets for all retail communications initiatives
- Partner with Warby Parker’s external agency to ensure impactful press placements and conduct on-site media and local influencer walkthroughs for new retail location launches
- Manage and execute media trainings for all Warby Parker retail leaders
- Oversee, vet, draft messaging for, and coordinate external speaking engagements across all Warby Parker teams
- Prepare retail press recaps and support the rest of the communications team on day-to-day tasks
Who You Are:
- Equipped with a bachelor's degree and 3 to 4 years of professional PR/communications experience, either in-house or with an agency (preferably with a focus on retail)
- A passionate ambassador of the brand and a natural relationship builder
- Armed with a deep understanding of the evolving consumer communications environment and an extensive knowledge of print, digital, and broadcast media
- Able to work collaboratively and develop consensus across groups and teams
- Exceptionally organized with extreme attention to detail (plus planning and prioritization skills that don’t falter in a fast-paced work environment)
- An excellent communicator (in person, over email, via smoke signal, all of it!)
- Proficient with PowerPoint, Excel, and Google Docs (extra credit for experience with Google Analytics and/or JIRA!)
Warby Parker was founded in 2010 with a lofty objective: to offer designer eyewear at a revolutionary price while leading the way for socially conscious businesses. By circumventing traditional channels and designing our frames in house, we’re able to offer insanely high-quality eyewear at decidedly non-insane prices (i.e., from $95 with prescription lenses—a fraction of the going price!).
In the last eight years, we’ve grown to over 60 retail locations in the U.S. and Canada, opened our first optical lab in upstate New York, and launched two of our own iOS apps. And for three years running, Fast Company has named us one of the world’s most innovative companies.
We also hold ourselves to the highest standards of social and environmental responsibility. This means lots of different things, like operating carbon-neutrally and distributing a pair of glasses to someone in need for every pair we sell. (We’re big believers that businesses can scale and be profitable while doing good in the world.)
Of course, all work and no play makes an extremely dull office, and no one likes an extremely dull office. (We sure don’t.) As an employee at Warby Parker, you can look forward to company outings, guest speakers, volunteering opportunities, and other brain- (and/or taste-bud-) stimulating activities. It also doesn’t hurt that our team is just great company.
Some benefits and perks of working at Warby Parker:
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Flexible “My Time” vacation policy
- Retirement savings plan with a company match
- Parental leave (non-birthing parents included)
- Cell phone plan reimbursement
- A health-and-wellness stipend
- Free eyewear (plus discounts for friends and family)
- And more (just ask!)