Director of Human Resources - Five Keys Schools and Programs job in San Francisco
Vacancy has expired
Education & Training
About the Organization
Five Keys Schools and Programs (Five Keys) is the nation’s first nonprofit charter school organization to operate inside a county jail. Established in 2003, Five Keys takes a restorative justice approach to help incarcerated, recently incarcerated, or otherwise disenfranchised people become self-sufficient and contributing members of their communities, and to make communities safer for all. Five Keys’ holistic and comprehensive approach to reentry education and recidivism reduction includes a proprietary academic curriculum and workforce training centered in five areas or ‘keys’: Education, Employment, Recovery, Family, and Community.
The goals of Five Keys include to:
- Dramatically increase education levels and post incarceration opportunities of students
- Reduce recidivism specifically among ex-offenders
- Re-engage disenfranchised populations in education
- Enable students to gain practical work skills
- Increase self-esteem and confidence
Today, Five Keys is a nationally recognized, nonprofit education management corporation. Across the state accredited charter schools and programs for transitional-aged-youth and adults are operated by Five Keys in six counties, 17 California county jails, and 70 community locations. The range of educational programs and services provided include: high school diploma, career and technical education, digital literacy, English-as-a-Second-Language (ESL), cognitive behavioral and recovery programs, case management, correctional educational consulting, and college access programming for youth and adults.
As Five Keys prepares for further growth, with planned expansion into two more California regions, the organization seeks a passionate, experienced Director of Human Resources to join the executive team.
The Director of Human Resources is primarily responsible for the end-to-end human resource function of Five Keys, and will be instrumental in establishing the human resource strategy of the organization. With the support of Five Key’s 4-person human resources staff, the Director will establish and administer all core policies including: compensation and benefits, performance management and evaluation, and staff development and training.
The role will be highly collaborative and entrepreneurial, working closely with the Executive Director and Executive Team to champion Five Keys’ culture and mission within a restorative justice framework. The HR Director’s role is broad, driving improvements in the following areas:
- Attracting and recruiting high quality candidates
- Improving morale and retention
- Supporting manager development through coaching, counseling and targeted trainings
- Organizational design and effectiveness
- Safety and workers' compensation
- Employee and union relations
- Regulatory compliance
The HR Director will operate within and help develop Five Keys’ social and restorative justice framework.
Key Responsibilities, in Detail:
- Identifies the highest risk human resource areas to the organization, develops and implements mitigation plans to address these areas. Actively educates staff and management on risk mitigation practices.
- Works collaboratively with the Executive Director and Executive Team to understand and address all organizational implications of HR policies and decisions.
- Maintains positive staff and union relations; develops a solid rapport with staff and union to support collective bargaining, balancing organizational and staff needs.
- Develops, maintains and enforces human resources policies and procedures and ensures compliance with all state, federal and local employment regulations as well as industry trends, practices, and new developments.
- Develops and oversees performance management and leadership development processes in conjunction with the Director of Training and the Executive Director.
- Develops strategies, negotiates and oversees all agency benefit programs including health, retirement, pension, and workers' compensation to ensure Five Keys’ competitiveness.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to the cultural diversity of employees and clients. Provides leadership in developing cultural fluency of staff.
- Establishes and oversees competitive wage and salary framework to attract and retain a high quality workforce.
- Provides leadership, information, and training to management on human resources issues and trends.
- Partners with Agency leadership to promote health and safety practices.
- Directs human resources staff to ensure effectiveness of all human resources functions, services, processes, reporting and record-keeping.
- Directs, investigates and resolves internal and external, regulatory complaints, charges and issues.
- Oversees human resources information and reporting systems, ensuring that data is accurate and reporting is timely and complete.
- Builds HR operational capacity and prepares for future growth.
- Creates internal systems to support staff in balancing daily task management while advancing strategic growth initiatives
- Troubleshoots issues with managers and executive team; Creatively approaches recurring issues with an eye toward resolution and growth.
- Promotes employee wellness program and employee assistance program; stays abreast of current research and best practices in areas such as self-care, in order to support staff retention and longevity
- Has knowledge of trauma informed practices.
- Abides by Five Keys and Sheriff’s Department policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Experience:
Five Keys is looking for candidates with extensive experience and multiple talents, including a high degree of emotional intelligence and entrepreneurialism.
- 10+ years of experience in Human Resources, not-for-profit experience preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience leading a high performing team.
- Knowledge of Education Human Resources and STRS preferred.
- Skills managing complex negotiations, experience with union collective bargaining a plus
- Strong management, organization, communication, and dispute resolution skills in dealing with complex processes within a complex organization
- Knowledge of California employment laws and their application to the employer/employee relationship
- Extensive business experience in various HR functions such as: compensation, labor and employee relations, benefits, recruitment and selection, integrated disability management, policy, payroll, and training and organizational development
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when dealing with personal identifying information, interacting with students, or community and program partners. Exceptional written communication skills; ability to express complex ideas with clarity and precision in written documents
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Eagerness to learn new things and adapt to constantly changing circumstances
- Ability to handle multiple deadlines and tasks simultaneously
- Advanced problem-solving skills; tactfully address and resolve questions/concerns
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience
- SPHR or SCP Certification preferred
- Frequent and prolonged standing, walking, and sitting
- Occasional reaching with hands and arms
- Occasionally lifting up to 15 pounds
- Ability to follow oral directions in emergency situations
- Frequent travel to multiple sites required; frequent overnight travel required within the state of California
- Able to manage a moderate noise level
Five Keys Schools and Programs offers a competitive salary dependent on experience. Benefits include 100% Medical coverage, standard vision and dental care, and a 403(b) retirement contribution of 3%. Primary location will be San Francisco.
To apply, please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter that outlines how your skills and experiences meet the qualifications of the position to FiveKeys@schaffercombs.com. In the subject line, please include your FIRST and LAST name, the job title for this position, and the organization name (“Name - Five Keys - Director of HR”).
Five Keys Schools and Programs is a multicultural organization that values diversity. Five Keys abides by EEOC guidelines and principles in recruitment and hiring. Qualified candidates of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply for open positions.
Please do not contact the client directly. Schaffer&Combs has been retained by Five Keys to manage this search. Schaffer&Combs solves problems and creates growth for mission-driven organizations.