Position closes on 11/24/17 at 4:30 p.m.
We are the Change We Seek
Imagine working for a company with a proven record of changing the world for the better. At Klean Kanteen we are dedicated to providing safe, high quality products that encourage a healthy lifestyle, sustainability and environmental awareness. Success in making reusable bottles part of everyday life has inspired Klean Kanteen to innovate a wide range of products good for both people and the planet. We are committed to model a better way of doing things, and have fun doing it.
Community & Giving
Klean Kanteen is a Certified B Corp and 1% for the Planet member. Certified B Corporations are leading a global movement to redefine success in business and meet rigorous and independent B Corp standards of performance, accountability, and transparency—which all guide our business day to day, and into the years ahead. A 1% for the Planet member since 2008, we donate 1% of total revenue to environmental organizations focused on shared values—health, sustainability, and environmental stewardship.
Klean Kanteen takes great pride in the company we keep. There are many hands-on opportunities for participation with our partners, ensuring that real relationships are fostered between Klean and the organizations we support. As part of that philosophy, Klean Kanteen has an active employee volunteer program that supports employees’ passion around giving back. We’ve climbed mountains, built homes, restored habitat, and carried water to support those who have none. From hiking supplies to NatureBridge students in the High Sierra to supporting dam removal with American Rivers, our people are encouraged to be as involved and committed as Klean Kanteen’s charitable dollars.
Klean Kanteen is family-run, and employee-owned. We have a tight-knit, fun, team-oriented culture, with a robust employee training and development program. With a casual office setting and open work environment, you’ll find most people in jeans and t-shirts. Most importantly, we’re all here to make a difference, and enjoy plenty of exciting challenges ahead.
The Director of Finance & IT is an executive leadership role and is ultimately responsible for all finance, accounting and information technology functions worldwide. This is a senior management position and a member of Klean Kanteen’s Executive Team. This person is responsible for leading and managing strategy, execution and control of financial planning, essential financial operational needs, risk management and all accounting functions. This role is also responsible for the oversight and management of all information technology strategy, computer support, infrastructure and maintenance.
Organizational Chart / Reporting Relationship:
Supervision Exercised: Finance & IT Department personnel
Supervision Received: President/CEO
- Ultimately accountable for all financial operations- directing the company’s financial planning and structure; Managing and ensuring effective utilization of company’s financial instruments and tools. (Asset-based RLOC, debt management, credit cards, treasury, etc.); Manages all financial transaction processes.
- Ultimately responsible for managing the company’s IT needs (computers, infrastructure, phones, software maintenance and management, IT disaster planning and recovery).
- Responsible for managing and inspiring all Finance and IT Department personnel.
Duties / Responsibilities to accomplish Essential Functions:
Specific responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
Finance and Accounting:
- Ensures financial operational needs and risk management of company are planned for and effectively managed (cash flow, surge protection, leverage, bridging strategies for gaps, terms negotiations and management with key customers and distributors).
- Oversees and manages financial control systems and reporting.
- Leads financial strategic thinking and planning; ensures long term needs are identified, planned for and implemented.
- Develops and implements financial systems and measurements that provide transparency and clarity to all internal constituents, assisting all areas of the organization in meeting or exceeding financial targets.
- Coordinates and prepares monthly and long-term financial budgets and goals for each department and company-wide.
- Coordinates, analyzes and reports financial performance to the Executive Team.
- Establishes and manages key performance metrics tied to strategy to ensure optimal financial performance and to meet the growing and dynamic needs of our business
- Establishes and maintains banking and insurance relationships; Serves as primary point of contact and liaison with bank; Provide weekly and monthly bank reporting.
- Ensures company complies with all regulatory and legal requirements; Reports all issues to CEO and manages efforts to remain in compliance and good standing
- Oversees payroll functions and related taxes and services; responsible for tax and payroll law compliance and for funding of and reporting related to company’s ESOP and 401K.
- Manages all corporate and owner tax functions, reporting and filings.
- Oversees audits and tax functions; coordinates activities with outside audit firms.
- Develops, implements and maintains accounting and administrative policies and procedures for a wide-ranging set of activities, including financial accounting and reporting.
- Manages all third parties supporting finance, accounting and IT functions.
- Implements operational improvements and best practices related to financial and IT operations
- Contributes to merger and acquisition assessments, due diligence and transaction management.
- Ultimately responsible for managing the company’s IT systems (infrastructure, hardware and software)
- Leads and defines information technology strategy; Identifies, plans for and executes the short and long-term IT needs of the company; Anticipates the scalability of business.
- Oversees and manages 24/7 support and “up time” of company IT systems and software; Defines and manages disaster recovery plans and responses.
- Ensures companywide systems are in place to cohesively support and link different parts of the organization (order placement and processing, inventory and accounting)
- Hires, inspires, coaches and sets accountability measures for all direct reports.
- Responsible for managing team performance through monthly 1:1s with staff, goal development, peer feedback, bi-annual performance reviews and annual merit increase recommendations.
- Actively strives to maintain a satisfied and engaged workforce through evaluation of employee feedback and open dialogue.
- Provides guidance and leadership to Finance Department to ensure:
§ Financial viability and effective management of operational needs
§ Analysis and preparation of financial reports
§ Accurate forecasting and planning of cash management functions
§ Supervision and guidance to Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Billing, Collections, and Payroll functions.
Leadership and Collaboration:
- Member of Executive Team – actively contributes to development of the overall business strategy, setting of company goals and priorities and annual planning.
- Provides executive leadership and guidance to promote financial health of the organization.
- Ensures appropriate internal controls and measurement systems are in place to monitor and evaluate financial status and effectiveness of initiatives
- Fosters and develops leadership throughout all areas of Finance and IT. Develops and executes a development plan for the Finance and IT team as a whole and for each person within the team including demonstrated professional growth for each individual.
- Creates a culture of accountability while maintaining the camaraderie and friendly nature so valued by the staff and leadership team of Klean Kanteen.
- Works in close collaboration with the entire organization.
Mission and Values:
- Is a champion and advocate of the mission in all actions and interactions with our customers, partners and staff
- Actively supports Klean Kanteen values
Knowledge, Skill, Ability and Core Competencies:
- Demonstrated mastery of finance and accounting functions; Exceptional business acumen, knowledge of business, finance principles and practices; Global markets view and experience; Detailed working knowledge and experience with GAAP; General knowledge of county, state and federal tax law.
- Excellent communication skills: written and verbal; Demonstrated experience and proven track record of success working with banks and other financial institutions and stakeholders; ability to translate complex financial topics and metrics into simple, effective and meaningful communications for non-expert audiences (new managers, all-company meetings and communications, etc.).
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills; Ability to effectively work across entire organization and at all levels; Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills
- General knowledge and ability to lead information technology systems, tools and software
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to confront tough issues in a productive manner, creating buy-in and support for financial priorities
- Ability to see the Finance/IT function in the broader context of the business and how it can best support the overall strategic direction of Klean Kanteen
- Ability to identify and/or develop effective and efficient systems to support objectives
- Consistently exhibits company values and ethos in all interactions with associates, customers, suppliers, and external constituents
Education or Formal Training:
Minimum Bachelor of Science degree in Finance and/or Accounting degree; CPA or MBA preferred.
Direct or relevant combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities in qualifying:
- 10+ years in Finance and Accounting leadership role required
- Proven ability to create and successfully execute high-level financial strategies, plans and budgets.
Material and Equipment Directly Used:
- Desktop PC, standard computer printers and faxes, copy machines and other office equipment.
Working Environment/Physical Activities:
- Standard business / cubicle environment
- Bending, and reaching forward, sideways, and overhead; Finger dexterity to perform functions on computer and access files.
- Sitting for long periods at a time
- Must be located within close proximity / short commute to our corporate offices.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER / AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANT / VETERANS’ PREFERENCE POLICY / DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE