Chef job in San Francisco
Vacancy has expired
Food & Nutrition
Community & Socializing
Create Community Through Food With Us!
The Bi-Rite Family of Businesses is a learning space with endless opportunity for education and on-the-job-training about community building, hospitable service, and of course, Good Food. As a Certified B Corporation, we believe it’s our responsibility to prioritize our people and planet over profit and we do this by building meaningful relationships with each part of our extended family: the food we make and sell inextricably connects our staff, our guests, our producers, and environment. Named one of Forbes 25 Best Small Companies in America, our team is comprised of entrepreneurs, dreamers, doers, artists, activists, and food lovers. If you’re a people person with a passion for Good Food and nourishing conversation, we invite you to create community through food with us!
We have an immediate opening for a Chef at our flagship store. The Chef is the creative force for the food produced in the store. They oversee everything that happens in the Kitchen and Deli departments. This includes creating great food and seamless service to our guests, developing and rolling out new menus, creating staff meal, hiring and developing staff, purchasing ingredients and supplies, storage and rotation of products, the maintenance of all the equipment and facilities, budgeting and managing labor costs, tracking inventory and COGS, and the overall sales performance of the department. With the Department Managers and the General Manager, they create a cohesive Bi-Rite leadership team that supports the Bi-Rite Mission, Service Mission, Training Mission, Product Mission, 2024 Vision and Core Values of Love, Passion and Integrity.
- Service – Creates inspiring, seasonal food to share with our guests and staff. Uses the Bi-Rite Service Mission to provide superlative internal and external service.
- People - Recruits, trains, schedules and continually develops and motivates outstanding staff members, Maintains a culture consistent with Bi-Rite’s Mission, Vision and Core Values.
- Financial - Fully responsible for the Kitchen and Deli P&L – writing the department budget, meeting and exceeding sales goals, net margin, COGS, proper inventory levels, labor costs, and controllable costs.
- Operational – Plans and manages the department workflow and staffing. Anticipates and adjusts to any business fluctuations as needed.
- Compliance – Maintains a safe work environment and insures compliance with all local and state laws.
- Minimum 2-5 years experience working as a Chef
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Solid math skills for basic budgeting, recipe costing, and inventory control
- Knowledge of MS Outlook, Word, Excel, ability to learn new technologies
- Ability to build a team and deliver training and coaching effectively
- Basic Spanish Language skills strongly recommended
- Ability to work nights and weekends when needed
- Serve Safe Certification
Our unique staff culture and generous benefits package sets us apart from other food businesses. We offer a 25% (alcohol 20%) discount on purchases throughout the businesses, a meal provided with your shift, medical, dental, and vision plan after 60 days of employment, a 401K retirement plan with employer match, access to 18 Reasons classes and the opportunity for career advancement. And of course, a team of mindful, smart and happy people to work with every day!
To apply submit your resume and cover letter. We’d love for you to take the time to write a few sentences telling us what you know and love about the Bi-Rite Family of Businesses, your interest in working at Bi-Rite, and what you hope to learn by working with us.