Be Fresh Local Market, cultivated by SPUD.CA is our retail division of cafes and markets within the beautiful city of Vancouver! Depending on the location, you can expect to find anything from speciality coffee drinks, on-tap kombucha, freshly prepared & vibrant on-the-go meals, to a smaller market stocked with organic groceries and cool local vendors. We hire nice people, who thrive on providing authentic, and special customer service experiences, and connecting with the community. If you have a passion for delicious, organic food, supporting local, and living sustainably- apply now to join our team!
Be Fresh Local Market is looking for two Produce Assistants for our Be Fresh Local Markets in Kitsilano. We are hiring for either Be Fresh Bayswater (2951 West Broadway) or Be Fresh Cypress (1900 West 1st Ave).
We have 1 full-time vacancy and 1 part-time. Must be available to work a variety of shifts including: mornings and evening shifts between 6:00 am- 9:00 pm, and weekends (actual shift TBA).
We are growing and love to promote from within plus you will receive 20% off of all our cool, local products!
What you’ll do:
- Provide amazing, friendly, and special customer service, which includes greeting customers, responding to questions, assisting with their needs, and helping them make informed product-related purchasing decisions.
- Take special care of our produce by stocking, rotating, and creating colourful, abundant, and fun displays for the produce cases and dry tables
- Maintain a high level of produce quality (no marks, nicks, bruises or brown leaves please!), and make sure we are managing waste appropriately.
- Show off your knowledge about our produce, groceries, and unique local artisan goods, with your natural charm and smile!
- Place produce orders
- Receive inventory and break down boxes, separating produce for sales floor, cooler and/or back room prep area
- Process and/or wrap produce items
- Complete price checking and changes, including current sale signs, and removing out-of-date sale signs
- Maintain an organized produce cooler
- Help create a community vibe so people make us their regular, go-to for drinks, food and groceries!
- Assisting in other duties, as assigned
Our compensation consists of:
- $12.00 per hour + tips (starting wage)
- 20% discount
- Extended health care benefits (if working 24 hours/week or more after 90 days)
- 4% vacation accrual
What you'll need
- Ability to work as part of a team that includes co-workers, leads, and management.
- Previous knowledge & experience working in produce, customer service, or a barista position, are an asset, but we would love to train the right person!
- Working knowledge of food safety, including first in first out (FIFO) procedures is an asset.
- Familiarity with an electronic system to place orders and do inventory.
- Passion for local, organic, sustainable food and products.
- Ability to maintain a high level of service awareness!
- A positive attitude and glowing smile to charm our customers.
SPUD is more than just an online grocery company; we have a deep passion for local and organic foods and have set out on a journey to support healthy families. We are entrepreneurial, humble, have a resilient drive to succeed and we really love our customers.
Our local food movement involves delivering local and organic groceries to homes and offices with four Western Canadian locations in Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria and Vancouver. In each location, we hire locally, buy locally, and deliver locally. We work to simplify and enrich the lives of our customers, staff, suppliers and community partners.
Our Core Values:
- FIGHT to Create Amazing Customer Experiences Worth Sharing
- Have a Passion for Sustainable Food
- Be Open to the Perspective of Others
- Learn, Grow and Win as a Team
- Be Scrappy and Own It
- Find the Fun Together
SPUD.ca is a certified B Corporation who is committed to solving social and environmental problems. Some of these efforts involve the following five things we do:
- We package our items in reusable bins to eliminate unnecessary packaging.
- We recycle, and help you recycle too.
- We work to reduce food waste and compost.
- We buy local products and list food miles.
- We have a strict Sustainable Purchasing Policy for all of our food.
SPUD is an equal opportunity employer.