Campaigns Specialist, Canada job in Victoria
Vacancy has expired
Change.org is the world's largest technology platform for social change. Our goal is to empower people everywhere to start campaigns around the issues they care about, mobilize others, and work with decision makers to drive solutions.
Over 200 million people have started and signed petitions, including banning harmful microbeads in Canada; fighting corruption in Indonesia, Italy, and Brazil; ending the ban on gay Boy Scouts in the United States; and big wins for women’s rights in India. And we’re just getting started. Here’s a small snapshot of some of the victories our users have had: https://youtu.be/h4O81mgK85E
We love serving our incredible users, and we love our staff too. We show it with competitive salaries, unlimited vacation, robust parental leave, an amazing culture, and a high impact, low-ego team that can’t wait to learn from you and teach you what they know.
About the role:
Change.org is seeking a highly-motivated individual to coordinate campaigns work that drives both engagement and impact on petitions that address a variety of issues affecting Canadians. This is a unique opportunity to be a part of the fastest growing social change platform in the world, and to support individuals and organizations in their pursuits with your campaign planning, strategic communications, and content production skills.
Change.org is a membership driven platform, which means our company is funded, in part, through generous contributions that help our platform remain free, open to all, and powered by the very people who use our tools. The campaign selection, campaign escalation and content development should seamlessly correspond with strategies for driving new member recruitment and retention.
Working closely with Canada’s Campaigns and Membership Manager and the North America Campaigns Team, you will help millions of Change.org users in Canada run and win inspirational campaigns using our platform and online tools.
Here’s what you’ll do as part of our team:
- Support impactful campaigns through research and planning -- including campaign narrative, tactics, timelines and messaging -- based on your understanding of power and leverage points needed to win campaigns.
- Regularly audit and spot compelling campaign opportunities from petitions that are started by Change.org users -- looking for opportunities to feature petitions to users via email, and to share the stories of petition starters over social media, to traditional media through outreach to journalists and press outlets, and on Change.org’s blog.
- Conduct outreach to organizations and individuals who start petitions to provide them with strategic advice on how to best use the tools available on Change.org and achieve victory
- Stay up to date on current events, national politics, and pop culture to identify opportunities to engage the public in rapid response campaigns with the potential to engage millions of Canadians
Here are the skills and experience we’re looking for:
- Deep commitment to our mission of empowering people everywhere to win campaigns on critical issues
- 2-3+ years experience in grassroots organizing, political campaigning, social activism, or community engagement
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Knowledge of Canada’s political landscape, key decision-makers and media
- Proven ability to juggle multiple campaigns in different phases of the campaign cycle simultaneously through prioritization, communication, and timeline-driven planning
- Social media skills that show an ability to engage followers and create content that gains traction and shares
- Strong organization and task management skills, ability to work in a fast-paced environment, proactive and self-directed
- Comfortable working virtually -- though you’ll have some colleagues physically in the office, the North American team is spread across multiple cities and time zones, and we work with colleagues in nearly 20 countries
- Fluency in French considered an asset, but not a requirement
Interested? Great! Here's what you should know:
This is a full-time position that will be based in the Victoria office of Change.org Canada.
Remote working arrangements will be considered for the right candidate.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.
We are working for a world where no one is powerless, and where creating change is a part of everyday life. We're just getting started, and we hope you'll join us!