Sustainability Manager job in Petaluma
Vacancy has expired
Reports to VP of Marketing
Direct Reports: 0
About World Centric
Our every action has an impact on the well-being of our planet and our everyday decisions can help create a better world for all. World Centric certified compostable tableware, cutlery and food packaging provide eco-friendly alternatives to everyday consumption choices, which can help minimize social & economic inequalities, reduce the impact of our consumption on the environment and help create a better and sustainable world.
World Centric started as a non-profit in 2004 and now is a California Benefit Corporation and a certified B-Corp. We offset all our carbon emissions and donate a minimum 25% of profits to environmentally and socially conscious organizations.
World Centric, as a leader in the compostables category, has a dynamic, fast-paced, high-growth work environment and is looking for professionals who can thrive in such an environment. The culture and mission fit is very important for us and these requirements include a strong awareness, passion and commitment to social and environmental issues; a high degree of competence, motivation, and initiative; and adaptability and ability to collaborate with others.
Summary of Position
Functioning as part of the marketing and sales team, the Sustainability Manager will oversee the development of research, resources and consulting services for World Centric to effectively communicate to current and potential customers end of life options for compostable products in use in their businesses. The primary goal is to uphold and expand our commitment to environmental sustainability, with a focus on enabling our customers to make better sustainability decisions, using the most accurate data, testing and insights currently available.
This role will also help World Centric and its customers advocate for improved end-of-life options in strategic geographical regions in the US, and ensure the most accurate sustainability information is integrated throughout World Centric’s stakeholder engagement on environmental and social issues.
Key Role Objectives
- Support the World Centric sales team when challenging sustainability inquiries come in from the marketplace
- Coordinate custom report offerings to trade customers covering composting, carbon footprint and waste diversion assessments
- Monitor state, federal and international foodservice packaging regulations and trends as related to sustainability that could impact collection and hauling of World Centric products from customer sites
- Participate in conferences, trade shows, industry groups, and other relevant events related to composting/waste diversion, including attending as a representative of World Centric and participating through proprietary content, panels and speaking engagements
- Research (with findacomposter.com and other resources) to compile an accurate, comprehensive list of current commercial composters and their systems for processing organic waste (commercial composting, anaerobic digestion, waste-to-energy, waste-to-water, etc.) in the defined strategic markets
- Collect information to determine each facility’s ability to compost World Centric products. Information could include:
On-Site Organics Processing Technologies - Define and create a list of those capable of processing BPI-certified compostable foodservice ware (this may require sending our products for testing): In-Vessel, Anaerobic Digester, Waste-to-Water
- Work with composters to facilitate acceptance of World Centric products for composting and including World Centric in any preferred compostable products lists
- Research local/regional/national rules and regulations which may impact collection and hauling of World Centric products from customer sites
- Define haulers and costs for hauling products to composting facilities on an as-needed basis
- Assess customer needs for front and back of the house communications to support proper disposal, separation and awareness of compostables (e.g. signage, videos, educational collateral, etc.)
- Create cost benefit analysis of composting vs. landfill based on local hauling, landfill and composting costs
- Interaction with key operators, distributors, sales reps, and other decision makers in the value chain to provide information - research, reports, recommendations - as needed
- Minimum 5 years of experience with a company focused on sustainably-produced products that help solve social and environmental problems
- Background in environmental services, waste management, CSR, community/government relations, issues management or a related discipline is preferred
- Education Level: BS/BA degree in business administration, communication, public policy, environmental sciences or an advanced degree in field related to sustainability
- Experience in the foodservice and/or disposable tableware market preferred
- Experience communicating technical and complex topics in an easy to understand, compelling manner
- A self starter with a proven ability to assemble action plans independently and execute them within a cross functional environment
- Experience with products sold into foodservice wholesale and multi-channel retail a plus
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent teamwork skills with strong project management capabilities
- Proven ability to train teams, work with customers, and deliver public presentations
- Analytical skills with the ability to pull important patterns and messages out of complex information
- Skilled in Microsoft Office Suite
- Understanding of and experience with customer / consumer insight data
- Attention to detail and accuracy with a commitment to excellence
- Ability to multi-task, take risks, propose change, and solve problems creatively
- Must be able to travel 10-20% of the time
- Full time exempt position: 40 hours/week
The above are intended to describe the general requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Compensation & Benefits
World Centric offers a competitive benefit package to eligible employees. The benefit package includes health, dental, and vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, sick and vacation paid leave, wellness incentive program, paid holidays, 401(k) with Company contribution, and an alternative transportation incentive program.
Please email jobs-sustainability(a)worldcentric.org with your resume and a 1-page cover letter. In your cover letter, please include the social and/or environmental issues that are important to you along with why you would be a good fit for World Centric. Please do not forward a LinkedIn profile.