Job Title: Cook
Reports to: Chef/Manager of the Cafe
Location: Ventura, California
The Cook is part of a small team who are all responsible for ensuring high standards of efficiency, cleanliness, food quality and general services offered by the Company’s Café. Such general responsibilities will include: food preparation of breakfast and lunch entrees, salad bar, and snack items. High standards of cleanliness and sanitation must be kept and a ServSafe certificate is required or can be obtained. Some dishwashing, customer service, and other such tasks as may be determined from time to time. This role requires some flexibility of hours but requires punctuality and attendance on scheduled days.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assistance with food preparation in an accurate and timely fashion
- Create and execute special menu ideas as needed
- Utilization of knife skills such as brunoise, julienne, and dicing. Knowledge and experience breaking down and portioning proteins is a plus.
- Working culinary knowledge of food preparations such as vegetable stock, salad dressings, grilling, braising, sauces, and time – temperature control. Experience with large batch cooking is preferable.
- Daily, on-going, assistance with clean-up of all cafe areas which includes constant cleaning, continuous organization and deep cleaning of general dining space, refrigerators, freezers and storage areas according to health and food safety standards.
- Stock all food selling areas, such as snacks and drinks, and assist in putting away supplies and daily orders in a timely and organized fashion
- Assist with Catering needs which may include preparation, execution, set up, breakdown, and follow up as needed.
- Maintain a positive and professional approach with coworkers and customers. Must exhibit strong teamwork skills.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds repeatedly, and carry for up to 50 feet.
- Able to stand for long periods of time.
- Bending, lifting and chopping repetitively throughout the day.
- Ability to wash dishes for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work in a small physical space that can be loud at times.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
- 2+ years high volume food prep experience desired.
- 2+ years high volume dishwashing experience desired.
- Working knowledge of food safety and handling regulations.
- Working knowledge and understanding of culinary basics.
- Excellent customer service skills, in person, on the phone and in writing.
- Comfortable with team-based work structure; ability to demonstrate flexibility on the job.
- Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with coworkers, customers and vendors.