Company: Headquartered in Chicago, IL, Fresh Coast Capital (“Fresh Coast”) is a mission-driven, for-profit, urban revitalization firm that develops green stormwater infrastructure as a vehicle to deliver social, environmental, and economic impact to the communities that need the most support toward achieving equitable climate resiliency. Our experienced team is comprised of community organizers, engineers, environmental scientists, and finance professionals. Fresh Coast is committed to equitably installing green infrastructure at scale, helping all communities become more resilient against the impacts of climate change while maximizing the positive social and economic benefits green infrastructure can offer. Fresh Coast partners with both private landowners and public agencies to finance, implement and manage green infrastructure projects that create positive environmental, social and economic impact. Fresh Coast is a women-owned, certified B-Corp.
Keywords: Community Development, Community Development Finance, CDFI, Community Development Corporation, Project Finance Analyst, Project Finance Associate, Accounting Analyst, Accounting Associate, Financial Analyst, Financial Reporting, Project Accounting, Renewable Energy, Tax Credit Finance, New Market Tax Credits, Low Income Housing Tax Credits, Historic Tax Credits, Investment Tax Credits, Tax Equity, Financial Modeling, Infrastructure Finance, Conservation Finance, Solar Finance, Natural Capital Accounting, Ecosystem Services Valuation, Environmental Impact Bonds, Bond Financing, Sustainability, Environmental Impact, Social Impact, Economic Impact, B-Corp
Position Title: Project Finance & Financial Reporting Analyst/Associate
The Project Finance & Financial Reporting Analyst/Associate is an experienced financial modeling professional with a wide breadth of experience in project finance, accounting, community development finance or renewable energy finance. In this role, the candidate will be a part of a small but growing cross-functional deal team supporting urban revitalization through the deployment of green stormwater infrastructure projects for both municipal customers and for private property owners. The Project Finance & Financial Reporting Analyst or Project Finance & Financial Reporting Associate will assist (Analyst) in or lead (Associate) all phases of the deal process and contribute to the asset monitoring and investor/lender reporting process. The deal process includes: assessing deal feasibility, preparing customer proposals, the financial structuring of a project, the capital raising process (both equity and debt), term sheet negotiations, due diligence, all the way through to the closing process. The small size of the current team means that the right candidate will be able to “wear many hats” and make a significant contribution to the overall success of Fresh Coast. Additionally, the candidate will assist in (Analyst) or manage (Associate) the financial reporting and analysis process. This role will also support business and market development in cities with existing green infrastructure incentive programs. The position will report directly to the VP Finance.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Financial Modeling, Transaction Management, and Financial Reporting & Analysis (40%)
- Prepare and maintain complex project finance models, along with accompanying sensitivity analyses and other standard deal collateral for green stormwater infrastructure projects
- Prepare offering materials, including powerpoint presentations and offering memoranda for lenders and investors
- Negotiate directly with key project participants including investors, lenders, and customers
- Assist in the deal closing process
- Support the VP of Finance to build out the internal policies, procedures and reports that will drive the financial modeling, transaction work, and financial analysis – this role will have an immediate impact on shaping the future of the company from Day 1
- Manage internal cross-functional communications with marketing, business development, program management, and evaluation
- Manage the financial reporting and analysis process to include: building out reporting infrastructure, working with external accountants on consolidation of financial statements, and performing financial analysis & reporting of actuals versus budget
- Developing and presenting financial performance and analysis reports to executive team on monthly/quarterly basis
- Support business development with financial modeling scenarios, project and program budget development, and feasibility analysis
- Project/Asset Management (20%)
- Assist in/oversee the financial management of projects during construction
- Assist in/oversee the financial oversight and monitoring of implemented projects
- Contribute to regular project/program team meetings for coordination, progress updates and resource needs
- Assist in the delivery of projects and associated deliverables/key milestones while achieving schedule, budget, safety and quality goals
- Provide guidance and contribute to the development of solutions for Program Directors/Managers to address ad hoc project implementation or operational issues that have financial impacts on the projects
- Assist Program Directors/Managers with developing and maintaining program financials, including but not limited to: budgets, labor cost and forecasting
- Support project/program evaluation, measurement and verification
- Relationship Management (25%)
- Support the VP Finance in building and maintaining relationships with project capital providers
- Assist in/oversee the preparation of investor and lender reporting materials - financial performance of assets and covenant compliance
- Support relationship development and management of engineering/technical delivery partners
- Support identification, outreach, and engagement with potential partners, organizations, associations and customers
- Company Culture (15%)
- Contribute to collaborative or priority projects to support the full Fresh Coast team
- Proactively contribute to fostering a culture of treating municipal partners, key stakeholders, and investors as crucial to our mutual success while developing and growing cherished professional relationships
- Proactively contribute to fostering a mission-driven and values-driven culture that prizes mutual respect, honest dialogue, teamwork, shared accountability, and exceptional financial and impact performance
- Proactively and appreciatively bring in new ideas, raise challenges and push colleagues to improve our work and keep our triple bottom line priorities in balance
- Represent the clients, investors, partners, self, and Fresh Coast with integrity at all times
Requirements include but are not limited to:
- Based primarily out of Chicago office during normal business hours
- Expectation of 10-20% travelwith a self-directed travel schedule
- Willingness to attend and represent Fresh Coast at industry conferences and associated events
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission of Fresh Coast (must be addressed in cover letter submission)
- Must be passionate about social, economic, and environmental impact, be hardworking and thrive in the fast pace of a rapidly growing, highly collaborative, early stage company
- Minimum of 2-5 years’ experience building and maintaining complex project finance models and executing on project financings. Possible experience at a project finance bank, tax equity investment firm, community development financial institution, ratings agency, project finance consulting firm, or project developer.
- A background in renewable energy, infrastructure, or tax credit project finance (NMTCs, HTCs, LIHTCs, or ITCs)
- Understanding of project finance principles and a track record of supporting project finance transactions from the investor, lender or developer side
- Minimum of 1-3 years accounting experience related to project finance
- Strong command of accounting principles, with evidence of experience creating project models in line with GAAP
- Strong communication skills required. Must be able to clearly articulate and communicate complex financial information and issues to management and investors
- Ability to interact with a wide variety of audiences, ranging from customers and investors, to program staff and third party engineers
- Ability to manage multiple projects, meet deadlines, prepare high quality reports and presentations, and to maintain high levels of quality with a heavy workload
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, PowerPoint, Word) with advanced-level proficiency in Excel.
- 1-3 years demonstrated project finance experience with a developer / investment firm in the renewable energy or infrastructure space
- Experience with bond financing
- Collaborative and engaging team member who partners well with others
- Strong team orientation and demonstrated client management skills
- Highly energetic and results-driven, with a strong work ethic and commitment to excellence
- Executive presence, outgoing with strong communication and presentation skills
- Builds trust by demonstrating high ethical standards and personal integrity
- Quick learner and highly intelligent
- Analytical problem solver who views obstacles as challenges
- Creative thinker who generates new and different ideas
- Must demonstrate strong personal ethics, the ability to influence and negotiate, and the ability to effectively manage stress and engage in continuous learning.
- High attention to detail.
- Self-motivated, self-starter who can work independently when necessary
- Fun to work with, quick to laugh, willingness to take calculated risks, and a creative problem solver with a “can-do / failure is not an option” approach to work
Education: Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance or related field; CPA, CFA or Masters in Accounting a plus.
Note: Experience and Education are not intended to represent hard baselines; preference will be given to those that demonstrate intelligence and intangibles specific to the role’s duties for continued growth and development purposes.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance, 401k, transit benefits, flexible work environment, great PTO policy and more.
Fresh Coast is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Fresh Coast is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from female and minority candidates.