Company: Headquartered in Chicago, IL, Fresh Coast Capital (“Fresh Coast”) is a mission-driven, for-profit, urban revitalization firm that develops green stormwater infrastructure as a vehicle to deliver social, environmental, and economic impact to the communities that need the most support toward achieving equitable climate resiliency. Our experienced team is comprised of community organizers, engineers, environmental scientists, and finance professionals. Fresh Coast is committed to equitably installing green infrastructure at scale, helping all communities become more resilient against the impacts of climate change while maximizing the positive social and economic benefits green infrastructure can offer. Fresh Coast partners with both private landowners and public agencies to finance, implement and manage green infrastructure projects that create positive environmental, social and economic impact. Fresh Coast is a women-owned, certified B-Corp.
Keywords: Green Infrastructure, Stormwater, Landscape Design, Low-Impact Design, Sustainable Design, CEPTED, Urban Planning, Master Planning, Design-Build, Watershed Planning, Combined Sewer Overflow, MS4, NPDES, Project Development, Community Development, Community Organizing, Infrastructure, Public Private Partnerships (P3s), Civil Engineer, Environmental Engineer, Project Manager, Project Director, Program Manager, Program Director, Professional Engineer (PE), Construction Manager, Sustainability, Environmental Impact, Social Impact, B-Corp
Title: Program Manager/Director (Reports to VP of Community Partnerships)
The Program Manager or Program Director will coordinate/support (Manager) or lead (Director) the development and delivery of large-scale ($25-100M) green infrastructure programs and project portfolios in individual municipalities. This role is focused in specific cities, and wide-ranging responsibilities include stakeholder engagement, strategic and urban planning, business development, grassroots community engagement, and project design and delivery skill sets. This role will work to co-develop projects and programs in close partnership with the VP of Community Partnerships and require significant collaboration with Fresh Coast’s senior leadership team. Additionally, this role will require an entrepreneurial drive and approach to scalability, deal development and structuring, with a lot of flexibility to define the path and future team strategy.
Duties and requirements include, but are not limited to:
- City-Specific Program/Project Development (50% initially, will evolve over time). Support or lead key aspects of business and market development to establish new green infrastructure programs for 2-3 municipal/public clients via public-private partnerships:
- Identify and engage effective relationships with key stakeholders in municipal, nonprofit, political, philanthropic and business arenas within a city who are essential to charting and delivering a green stormwater infrastructure program that creates the greatest impact for the city
- Support or lead community engagement meetings that genuinely involve impacted community stakeholders in the design and delivery of green infrastructure projects/programs
- Support or lead planning, budget development, scoping and contract negotiations with community and strategic delivery partners for planning (“predevelopment”) work (e.g. engineering firms, design-build firms, maintenance providers)
- Develop financial, budgeting, forecasting and projection tools and reports
- Support or lead the implementation of green infrastructure planning (“p redevelopment”) efforts to deliver a fully developed implementation plan for a green infrastructure program involving multiple individual green infrastructure projects
- City-Specific Project/Program Implementation (10% initially, will evolve over time). Support or lead project/program implementation efforts, including planning, scheduling and contracting:
- Establish project controls and operational procedures
- Proactively identify risk and create mitigation strategies
- Project manage/supervise the performance of strategic delivery partners
- Train and educate project/program team members, including new hires and partners, on project administration requirements
- Deliver projects and associated deliverables/key milestones while achieving schedule, budget, safety and quality goals
- Track project financials, create reports and develop supporting strategies to achieve goals
- Facilitate regular project/program team meetings for coordination, progress updates and resource alignment
- Support project/program evaluation, measurement and verification
- Ensure compliance with policies and procedures for the business
- Product Development (20%). Contribute to or lead the refinement of the processes and infrastructure needed to deliver on Fresh Coast’s green stormwater infrastructure products:
- Program/Project Development infrastructure (detailed above), with a focus on planning (“predevelopment”) process design and other areas selected based on individual candidate strengths
- Project/Program Implementation infrastructure (detailed above), with focus dependent on individual candidate strengths
- Team & Company Culture (20%)
- Regularly contribute as both a thought partner and an implementer to collaborative or priority projects for the Program Team and the full Fresh Coast team
- Proactively contribute to fostering a culture of treating municipal partners, key stakeholders, and investors as crucial to our mutual success while developing and growing cherished professional relationships
- Proactively contribute to fostering a mission-driven and values-driven culture that prizes mutual respect, honest dialogue, teamwork, shared accountability, and exceptional financial and impact performance
- Proactively and appreciatively bring in new ideas, raise challenges and push colleagues to improve our work and keep our triple bottom line priorities in balance
- Represent the clients, investors, partners, self, and Fresh Coast with integrity at all times
- Based primarily out of Chicago office during normal business hours
- Expectation of 30-50% domestic travel with a self-directed travel schedule
- Willingness to attend and represent Fresh Coast at industry conferences and associated events
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office
- Experience utilizing project management and scheduling software (i.e. Microsoft Project, Smartsheets, Primavera, or similar)
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission of Fresh Coast (must be addressed in cover letter submission)
- Four (4) plus years of professional experience at the intersection of multiple related fields pertinent to green infrastructure program and project development (stormwater management, urban planning, community organizing and community education, landscape design, sustainable design, real asset project development, engineering design, construction management, landscape facility operations and maintenance)
- Demonstrated excellence in partnership and program development
- The passion, flexibility and motivation to thrive in a start-up environment as part of a highly collaborative team
- Must have an applied understanding of stormwater management, general construction terms, scheduling and planning concepts
- High level of personal initiative
- Demonstrated willingness and ability to balance big picture with day-to-day details, both in ways of thinking and willingness to complete tasks
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple projects and collaborating with cross-functional teams under tight deadlines
- Additional specialized skill sets that contribute to Fresh Coast’s work generally, such as landscape design or urban planning, a plus
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or greater in Sustainable Design, Urban Planning, Civil/Environmental Engineering, Construction Management, Environmental Science, or a similar field with related experience.
Note: Experience and Education are not intended to represent hard baselines; preference will be given to those that demonstrate intelligence and intangibles specific to the role’s duties for continued growth and development purposes.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance, 401k, transit benefits, flexible work environment, great PTO policy and more.
Fresh Coast is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures to ensure against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, upgrading, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the bases of race, color, gender, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran's status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Fresh Coast is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from female and minority candidates.