Our every action has an impact on the well-being of our planet and our everyday decisions can help create a better world for all. World Centric certified compostable tableware, cutlery and food packaging provides eco-friendly alternatives to everyday consumption choices, which can help minimize social & economic inequalities, reduce the impact of our consumption on the environment and help create a better and sustainable world.
World Centric started as a non-profit in 2004 and now is a California Benefit Corporation and a certified B-Corp. We offset all our carbon emissions and donate a minimum 25% of profits to environmentally and socially conscious organizations.
World Centric, as a leader in the compostables category, has a dynamic, fast-paced, high growth work environment and is looking for professionals who can thrive in such an environment. The culture and mission fit is very important for us and these requirements include a strong awareness, passion and commitment to social and environmental issues; a high degree of competence, motivation, and initiative; and adaptability and ability to collaborate with others.
Product Development Engineer
We are seeking a Product Development Engineer to manage design and introduction of compostable food service products. This position is based at our headquarters in Petaluma, California.
- Manages and coordinates the company’s product development in conjunction with the CEO.
- Evaluates and resolves technical feasibility, design optimization and production issues.
- Works with industrial designer and uses knowledge of injection molding, thermoforming, and compression molding techniques to finalize product designs for food service disposables and other compostable packaging.
- Ensures product designs meet requirements for aesthetics, usability, and performance.
- Works with SVP of Sales, Regional Sales Managers and external customers to execute designs, modifications, and prototypes as per their requirements. Responsive to re-design work and modifications based on operational testing.
- Responsible for quoting pricing for new products based on manufacturing, material, and other costs.
- Responsible for product lifecycle management. Manages multiple development projects and ensures delivery on time and to quality specs.
- Tracks/updates new sku development from conception to purchasing hand off.
- Maintains lists of products proposed, in development, and finalized.
- Coordinates such lists with Marketing for photography, sell sheet and catalog creation.
- Establishes timelines and continually monitors product development process.
- Consistently communicates with suppliers to track design and development work-flow.
- Tracks all custom molded special order items, mold development progress, mold prototyping, and mold billing to customers.
- Manages roll out of new products, including:
- Creating spec sheets for new sku’s including relevant QC standards.
- Arranging shipping of new sku sales samples to sales reps.
- Using space modeling software to analyze product specs and propose most efficient packaging, box sizes, pallet and truckload maximizations.
- Supports CEO in new product development or research as needed
- Responsible for identifying and recommending new product initiatives and related incentives in collaboration with regional sales managers, marketing, purchasing, and head of marketing.
- Researches and monitors existing client base and industry developments and identifies potential new product opportunities.
- Performs competitive analysis including pricing of competitors products not stocked and business potential for stocking.
- Crafts business cases and product plans for new product concepts or features.
- Minimum 5 years experience in product design and product management.
- Bachelor Degree in Packaging, Plastics, Industrial Design or related field.
- Understanding of injection molding, thermoforming, compression molding processes, capabilities and design constraints.
- Experience with molded fiber, bioplastics, and biocomposites a plus.
- Experience with SolidWorks and ability to develop detailed drawings a plus.
- In-depth knowledge of product development processes and project management.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills.
- Familiar with logistics and production planning concepts.
- Broad range of computer skills—database, spreadsheet, and logistics software packages.
- Self-directed; ability to communicate findings, make recommendations, and facilitate change.
- Comfortable working with individuals at all organizational levels.
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation is dependent on experience. World Centric offers a competitive benefits package to eligible employees. The benefits package includes health, dental, and vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, sick and vacation paid leave, wellness incentive program, paid holidays, 401(k) with Company contribution, and an alternative transportation incentive program.
Please email jobs-pd(a)worldcentric.org with your resume and a brief 1-page cover letter. In your cover letter, please include the social and/or environmental issues that are important to you along with why you would be a good fit for World Centric. Please do not forward a LinkedIn profile. No phone calls, please.