Product Development Engineer job in Petaluma
Vacancy has expired
Our every action has an impact on the well-being of our planet and our everyday decisions can help create a better world for all. World Centric certified compostable tableware, cutlery and food packaging provides eco-friendly alternatives to everyday consumption choices, which can help minimize social & economic inequalities, reduce the impact of our consumption on the environment and help create a better and sustainable world.
World Centric started as a non-profit in 2004 and now is a California Benefit Corporation and a certified B-Corp. We offset all our carbon emissions and donate a minimum 25% of profits to environmentally and socially conscious organizations.
World Centric, as a leader in the compostables category, has a dynamic, fast-paced, high growth work environment and is looking for professionals who can thrive in such an environment. The culture and mission fit is very important for us and these requirements include a strong awareness, passion and commitment to social and environmental issues; a high degree of competence, motivation, and initiative; and adaptability and ability to collaborate with others.
Product Development Engineer
- Manages and coordinates the company’s product development in conjunction with the CEO.
- Evaluates and resolves technical feasibility, design optimization and production issues.
- Works with industrial designer and uses knowledge of injection molding, thermoforming, and compression molding techniques to finalize product designs for food service disposables and other compostable packaging.
- Ensures product designs meet requirements for aesthetics, usability, and performance.
- Works with SVP of Sales, Regional Sales Managers and external customers to execute designs, modifications, and prototypes as per their requirements. Responsive to re-design work and modifications based on operational testing.
- Responsible for quoting pricing for new products based on manufacturing, material, and other costs.
- Responsible for product lifecycle management. Manages multiple development projects and ensures delivery on time and to quality specs.
- Tracks/updates new sku development from conception to purchasing hand off.
- Maintains lists of products proposed, in development, and finalized.
- Coordinates such lists with Marketing for photography, sell sheet and catalog creation.
- Establishes timelines and continually monitors product development process.
- Consistently communicates with suppliers to track design and development work-flow.
- Tracks all custom molded special order items, mold development progress, mold prototyping, and mold billing to customers.
- Manages roll out of new products, including:
- Creating spec sheets for new sku’s including relevant QC standards.
- Arranging shipping of new sku sales samples to sales reps.
- Using space modeling software to analyze product specs and propose most efficient packaging, box sizes, pallet and truckload maximizations.
- Supports CEO in new product development or research as needed
- Responsible for identifying and recommending new product initiatives and related incentives in collaboration with regional sales managers, marketing, purchasing, and head of marketing.
- Researches and monitors existing client base and industry developments and identifies potential new product opportunities.
- Performs competitive analysis including pricing of competitors products not stocked and business potential for stocking.
- Crafts business cases and product plans for new product concepts or features.
- Minimum 5 years experience in product design and product management.
- Bachelor Degree in Packaging, Plastics, Industrial Design or related field.
- Understanding of injection molding, thermoforming, compression molding processes, capabilities and design constraints.
- Experience with molded fiber, bioplastics, and biocomposites a plus.
- Experience with SolidWorks and ability to develop detailed drawings a plus.
- In-depth knowledge of product development processes and project management.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills.
- Familiar with logistics and production planning concepts.
- Broad range of computer skills—database, spreadsheet, and logistics software packages.
- Self-directed; ability to communicate findings, make recommendations, and facilitate change.
- Comfortable working with individuals at all organizational levels.
Please email jobs-pd(a)worldcentric.org with your resume and a brief 1-page cover letter. In your cover letter, please include the social and/or environmental issues that are important to you along with why you would be a good fit for World Centric. Please do not forward a LinkedIn profile. No phone calls, please.