Job Title: Support Staff
Reports To: Program Manager
Location: Reno, Nevada
The Support Staff is responsible for all aspects of care to infants and toddlers while at the Truckee River Child Development Center. Such responsibilities will include: physical caregiving, development of age appropriate/individually appropriate curriculum and facilitating supportive relationships with parents.
Essential Job Functions:
The responsibilities of this position will include, but not be limited to the following:
Early Childhood Programming
- Ensure the children’s safety within the inside and outside environments at all times.
- Establish partnerships with families that are respectful of individual differences, family styles and cultural/socioeconomic diversity.
- Ensure that all meals and rest breaks for staff are done in a timely manner and be minimally disruptive to the children’s daily schedules.
- Observe children on a regular basis and record observations.
- Impact the lives of children and families every day.
Interactions with Children and Families
- Communicate with parents, staff and the children in a positive manner. Strive to create a language-rich program.
- Treat each child with dignity and respect.
- Guide children in becoming aware of his/her role as an integral member of the group and community.
- Help each child to become comfortable with him/herself.
- Encourage children’s active involvement in problem solving.
- Encourage children to be responsible for their actions.
Working with Parents
- Work with each classroom team to effectively address parent issues.
- Create an environment that embraces open communications between staff and parents.
Supporting Positive Staff Relationships
- Attend and participate in all staff meetings.
- Attend all recommended in-service trainings.
- Other duties as assigned by Program Manager and Classroom Manager.
- Complete all assigned paperwork (daily information sheets/daily attendance, shopping lists, daily staff-child ratios, etc.) in a timely manner.
- Able to observe and respond to children’s needs, emergencies and/or conflicts that might occur during the day (inside or outside environment).
- Able to supervise children outside exposed to the sun, snow and changing temperatures.
- Able to lift up to 40 pounds from the floor to a waist high table.
- Able to push a cart/stroller weighing up to 100 pounds for up to 3 miles.
- Able to walk and run as job dictates.
- Able to kneel down to maintain eye contact at child’s level.
- Able to sit on the floor to work with children.
- Able to react to a child that is up to 30 feet away within 30 seconds.
- Able to carry a child up to 40 pounds, up to 100 feet.
- Able to respond to children’s first aid needs (inside and outside) which may include cuts, bruises, blood/bodily fluids.
- Able to deal effectively with the stress involved in working closely with children, parents and co-workers.
- Able to do fine and medium hand manipulations.
Minimum Job Qualifications:
- High school graduate.
- Two years’ experience working with young children.
- Within 90 days after commencing employment, each caregiver must complete an initial course of training including the following:
- Prevention and Control of Communicable Diseases in the Child Care setting
- Certification in the administration of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
- Two or more hours concerning the administration of first aid
- Two or more hours in the recognition and reporting of child abuse and neglect
- At least two hours concerning Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
- Three or more hours in child development or guidance and discipline specific to the group served by the facility.
- Successful completion of the work permit process (Sheriff Card).
- Successful completion of the hiring packet.
- Able to complete 24 hours of training in Early Childhood Education per Center’s licensed year (January to December).
- Excellent customer service skills in person and on the phone.
- Able to demonstrate flexibility on the job.
- Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Acquainted with RIE (Resources for Infant Educarers) philosophy
It is the responsibility of every employee to contribute to a positive work environment through cooperative and professional interactions with co-workers, customers and vendors.