Senior Analyst, Impact Investing job in New York
Vacancy has expired
Senior Analyst, Impact Investing (New York, NY or San Francisco, CA preferred)
You are mission driven and action oriented. You love to get involved, and work as part of a team to accomplish something great. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed, and you thrive on variety. Today, you’re looking for a role where you can use those traits to make a real difference in the world by advancing the most important social issues facing humanity today.
If that sounds like you, Arabella Advisors can’t wait to meet you.
Arabella Advisors is looking for a senior analyst who is passionate about helping philanthropists achieve social and environmental impact through impact investing. A successful candidate must have experience across all stages of the investment process, be familiar with investor materials (e.g., business plans, financial models, teasers, slide decks), and excel at project management and client service.
As a member of Arabella’s collegial, client-focused, and impact-driven community, you will support and lead projects that service high-profile institutional, family, and corporate foundations as well as philanthropic individuals. Our team helps clients develop impact investment strategies, source and conduct due diligence on investment opportunities, structure and monitor deals, and assess social and environmental impacts. As a senior analyst, you are responsible for supporting project design, research, analysis, deliverable development, stakeholder engagement, and budget and team management. Additionally, you play a central role in developing client relationships and helping to generate new business.
Client Service (60%)
Investment Analysis and Research
- Support the strategy development process for impact investing clients
- Conduct due diligence on a range of investment opportunities across asset classes, company maturity, and issue area, focusing on both financial diligence and social impact diligence
- Support and conduct interviews with subject-matter experts and investors to inform client impact investment strategy development
- Assess social and environmental impact of client portfolios or individual investments
- Support assessments of investment landscapes across varied issues (i.e., health, early childhood education, etc.) and asset classes
Communications & Deliverable Development
- Communicate regularly with clients, advisors, and key external partners
- Draft deliverables for clients and internal stakeholders, including in-depth analytical reports, PowerPoint presentations, brief memos, and infographics
Project Management, Support & Administration
- Develop and maintain workplans for client projects and oversee project budgets
- Schedule interviews and coordinate conference calls, webinars, and focus groups
- Transcribe notes for external and internal meetings
Provide additional administrative support as necessary
Business Development (30%)
- Draft client proposals and project budgets with the support of team members
- Maintain a strong knowledge base of current news, market trends, new mechanisms for impact, and peers in the field
- Support the development of marketing collateral (blog posts, white papers) and maintain marketing tools (conference schedules, contact lists)
Internal Operations (10%)
- Manage impact investing team operations, including knowledge and data management and team meetings
- Develop and maintain team resources, including investment pipeline, research, and contacts
To be successful in this role you’ll need:
- A degree in finance or a relevant field of study is required. Equivalent relevant experience in the field will be considered.
- Three to five years of progressively responsible experience in the investing sector with knowledge of sourcing, underwriting, structuring, and financial analysis
- Experience in social enterprise and/or philanthropy either professionally or outside of work
- Strong research skills and an understanding of how to gather, analyze, and synthesize varied qualitative and quantitative inputs
- Excellent writing and communication skills, including an aptitude for presenting complex financial information to different audiences in verbal and written formats
- High degree of Excel proficiency—ability to create and maintain spreadsheets with accuracy
- Strong interpersonal skills that allow the candidate to interact and develop relationships with colleagues, investment committees, and current and prospective investees
- Demonstrated commitment to social/economic development and strong work ethic
- Ability to support complex projects, manage up to others on the team, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Other Highly Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Experience with sourcing, underwriting, and financial analysis
- Experience building and implementing investment monitoring systems in an investment arena
- Experience in the development, implementation, and evaluation of strategies to effect change
- Familiarity with legal documentation common to debt/equity transactions
Our Core Competencies:
- [Service Excellence] Ability to provide excellent service to clients, including being able to diagnose and anticipate difficult service challenges, provide proactive and effective client-centered solutions, pass along service lessons to teammates, and demonstrate a strong understanding of the client’s perspective.
- [Project and Task Management] The ability to effectively manage projects, proactively problem solve, and ensure quality control
- [Stakeholder Management] A high level of emotional intelligence and the ability to use that intelligence to appropriately adapt to stakeholders’ needs
- [Communication] The ability to effectively help communicate complex and nuanced messages to a variety of audiences, including adapting style, tone and content to meet various needs.
- [Collaboration] The ability to work cooperatively and inclusively with others to achieve shared goals, including supporting efforts that promote a safe and welcoming culture, providing timely and constructive feedback, and highlighting and sharing significant and new knowledge across the team
- [Continuous Learning] The ability to use available resources and feedback to continually develop mastery in your role and facilitate team learning, including a willingness to request feedback and incorporate it to improve individual performance and to seek out and participate in career-relevant learning activities
- [Resourcefulness] The ability to take ownership and be creative and solutions-oriented when encountering challenges that don’t have obvious answers, including the ability to solve challenges independently
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
About Arabella’s Impact Investing Team
Arabella works with all kinds of funders to help them better understand impact investing; develop strategies that complement their existing portfolios and program work; and source, structure, close, and monitor transactions. Our clients have varying degrees of experience with impact investing and employ different approaches—from grant funding to program-related investments (PRIs), mission-related investments (MRIs), and positive and negative screening of their personal portfolios. Our impact investing team works closely with clients to support them as needed, ensuring that we complement their own and their advisors’ existing knowledge and capacity. We expect applicants to have knowledge of impcat investing.
Working with Us
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more.
To encourage work/life balance we offer flexible work options. Our office is an open space with cubicles and standing desks and informal work areas. Our salaries are closer to the range of a nonprofit and our benefits are excellent. You’ll start with three weeks of vacation, 80 hours of personal time, and 20 hours of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to six federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive religious holidays and your birthday.
We have a competitive health package that includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan.
How to apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online. The cover letter must address why you want to work for Arabella and why you view impact investing as an important tool for social change.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.