Associate Director, Impact Investing job in New York
Vacancy has expired
Associate Director, Impact Investing (New York, NY or San Francisco, CA preferred)
You are mission driven and action oriented. You love to get involved, and work as part of a team to accomplish something great. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed, and you thrive on variety. Today, you’re looking for a role where you can use those traits to make a real difference in the world by advancing the most important social issues facing humanity today.
If that sounds like you, Arabella Advisors can’t wait to meet you.
Arabella Advisors is looking for an entrepreneurial associate director who is passionate about helping philanthropists achieve social and environmental impact through their investments. A successful candidate must have deep experience across all stages of the investment process, be familiar with investor materials (e.g., business plans, financial models, teasers, slide decks), and excel at project management and client service.
As a member of Arabella’s collegial, client-focused, and impact-driven community, you will lead projects that service high-profile institutional, family, and corporate foundations and individuals. Our team helps clients develop impact investment strategies, source and conduct due diligence on domestic and international investment opportunities, and structure and monitor deals. As the associate director, you are responsible for project design, research, analysis, deliverable development, stakeholder engagement, and budget and team management. Additionally, you play a central role in developing client relationships and helping to generate new business.
Client Work (70%)
Investment Analysis and Research
• Facilitate education sessions, conduct landscape assessments, and develop investment strategies for clients
• Lead due diligence on a range of investment opportunities across asset classes, company maturity, and issue, focusing on both financial diligence and social impact diligence
• Conduct research and provide qualitative and quantitative analysis resulting in independent recommendations for client projects and both internal and external meetings
• Conduct independent background research on thematic issues and/or asset classes
• Produce visual representations of research findings, such as Excel charts, PowerPoint decks, and infographics
• Write memos and longer narrative reports about research findings
• Manage a portfolio of client projects, including designing and managing to workplans, allocating work to team members, managing project budgets, and overseeing deliverable development
• Manage communications with clients, key partners, and other stakeholders, including wealth advisors and legal counsel
• Develop and supervise team member development of analytical reports, PowerPoint presentations, memos, and other deliverables
Business Development (30%)
• Lead development of client proposals and project budgets, coordinating with Arabella’s editorial teams, managing directors, and other key stakeholders
• Partner with colleagues across Arabella to develop new impact investing services and capabilities
• Partner with Arabella’s marketing team to support the development of the impact investing marketing strategy
• Develop impact investing marketing collateral, including blog posts, white papers, and website pages, and present content at external panels and other forums
• Maintain a strong knowledge base of current news, market trends, new mechanisms for impact, and peers in the field
To be successful in this role you’ll need:
• A graduate degree in business or a relevant field of study is required. Equivalent relevant experience in the field will be considered.
• At least five to seven years of progressively responsible experience in the financial sector with strong knowledge of and experience with sourcing, underwriting, structuring, and financial analysis
• Strong interpersonal skills that allow the candidate to interact with and develop relationships with colleagues, investment committees, and current and prospective investees
• Ability to manage a portfolio of complex projects
• Strong research skills and an understanding of how to gather, analyze, and synthesize varied qualitative and quantitative inputs
• Experience in the development, implementation, and evaluation of strategies to affect change
• Familiarity with legal documentation common to debt/equity transactions
• Aptitude for presenting financial information in understandable formats for multiple audiences in written and oral formats
• Experience building and implementing investment monitoring systems
• Demonstrated commitment to social impact and strong work ethic
Our Core Competencies:
• [Service Excellence] The ability to provide excellent service, including being able to address complex service matters, implement and communicate service changes to everyone involved, and to coach teammates on how to apply the firm’s service standards
• [Project and Task Management] The ability to manage large-scale and cross-firm projects, including delegating and managing all resources, identifying and implementing improved processes, monitoring consistency across project teams, and providing direction and support to teammates
• [Stakeholder Management] The ability to facilitate and negotiate among stakeholders with conflicting needs and to generate consensus among decision makers
• [Communication] The ability to help effectively communicate difficult messages; to adapt style, tone, and content to meet various needs; and to coach teammates on crafting content.
• [Collaboration] The ability to work cooperatively and inclusively with others to achieve shared goals, including encouraging and facilitating effective compromise, drawing on the capabilities of all team members, and leading team-level knowledge sharing
• [Continuous Learning] The ability to use available resources and feedback to continually develop mastery in your role and facilitate team and project-level learning, including coaching others
• [Resourcefulness] The ability to solve complex challenges by identifying innovative solutions and facilitating coordination with others
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
About Arabella’s Impact Investing Team
Arabella works with all kinds of funders to help them better understand impact investing; develop strategies that complement their existing portfolios and program work; and source, structure, close, and monitor transactions. Our clients have varying degrees of experience with impact investing and employ different approaches—from grant funding to program-related investments (PRIs), mission-related investments (MRIs), and positive and negative screening of their personal portfolios. Our impact investing team works closely with clients to support them as needed, ensuring that we complement their own and their advisors’ existing knowledge and capacity. We expect applicants to have knowledge of impcat investing.
Working with Us
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more.
To encourage work/life balance we offer flexible work options. Our office is an open space with cubicles and standing desks and informal work areas. Our salaries are closer to the range of a nonprofit and our benefits are excellent. You’ll start with three weeks of vacation, 80 hours of personal time, and 20 hours of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to six federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive religious holidays and your birthday.
We have a competitive health package that includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan.
How to apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover letter online. The cover letter must address why you want to work for Arabella and why you view impact investing as an important tool for social change.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.