Operations Engineer job in Philadelphia
Vacancy has expired
|Company Type:||Certified B Corporation|
|Job Type:||Information Technology|
|Impact Area:||Public Policy|
|Company Name:|| Azavea|
|State / Province:||Pennsylvania (PA)|
|Zip / Postal Code:||19123|
Philadelphia, PA 19123, USA (Show on map)
Azavea is a civic technology firm based in Philadelphia that uses geospatial data to build software and data analytics for the web. As a B Corporation, our mission is to use advanced geospatial technology for civic, social, and environmental impact. Most of our work deals with local governments, non-profit organizations, and academic or federal research projects. We build custom web applications, perform geospatial analysis, and contribute to open source projects. Our engineers work across the technology stack, from modern browser-based front-ends to robust service-based backends residing on scalable infrastructure.
• Work with the rest of the engineering team as the expert on reliability, performance, and operability.
• Engage in multidisciplinary work that applies an agile process across multiple teams.
• Automate many of the steps required to safely develop and deliver software. • Troubleshoot and mitigate complex production issues. Also, lead in the drafting of incident reports to reduce incident recurrence.
• Contribute to a growing company and to the open source communities that support our work.
• Understand networking concepts and UNIX operating systems.
• Have a working understanding of source control management technologies.
• Proficient programming in at least one general purpose programming language.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Interested in working with small teams on meaningful projects.
You get extra points for:
• Experience building systems on cloud computing platforms, like Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform.
• A deep understanding of the operating system and network protocols, with ability to apply understanding to solve real-world problems.
• Experience with web operations; specifically at large-scale.
• Familiarity with tools like Docker, Terraform, and Ansible.
• Strong sense of urgency and ownership over critical problem areas.
• Demonstrating open source or other community service contributions.
You’ll notice that we don’t cit N years of experience or a Computer Science as requirements. Formal credentials like these are valuable, but we are primarily looking for people who have gained real-world experience successfully building sophisticated web applications.
Our Philadelphia headquarters is located in a brightly lit office on the 5th floor of a converted factory building in the Callowhill neighborhood, a short walk from Center City, the Reading Terminal Market, and SEPTA subway and regional rail stations. For bicyclists, we have in-house bike parking, a shower and lockers. The office itself is assembled as an open office plan with several smaller rooms for team meetings and concentration time. You get your own desk with a high-end Linux workstation or Apple laptop and extra monitors. We have flex-time to deal with personal stuff, and most people work a 40 - 45 hour week on a regular schedule. After the first six months, our staff can also spend up to 10% of their time on an open source, professional development, or R&D project. Recent 10% time projects include experiments with machine learning, Python 3, Reactive Native, and various forms of serverless processing with Amazon Llambda.
● Fully subsidized life and long term disability insurance, plus voluntary short term disability insurance
● Medical reimbursement plan to cover what the health insurance does not
● Retirement plan with matching percentage
● Almost 4 weeks paid vacation plus additional paid sick/personal time off
● Family and medical leave
● Flexible work schedule
● Paid maternity and paternity leave
● Child care subsidy
● Paid time off for voting and volunteering
● Education assistance plan
● Student loan assistance
● Public transit and biking reimbursement plans
● Monthly guest lectures with lunches on the house
● 10% time for research or learning projects
● Profit-sharing bonus plan
● Financial transparency through an open book policy
● Kind, capable and thoughtful colleagues
View the job description and apply here: https://hire.withgoogle.com/public/jobs/azaveacom/view/P_AAAAAADAAADJ1DyAlamP1C?trackingTag=bCorpsJobBoard