Position Title: Group Director Center Store
Reports to: VP of Merchandising
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Position Description: Provides leadership and management of the Category Managers assigned in one of the three following groups of categories: Deli, Bakery, Pastry and Cheese; Meat, Seafood, Produce, and Floral; Grocery, Beer/Wine, Homegoods, and Wellness. Responsible for strategic oversight of the merchandising strategies including product, promotion, retail price and value, store layout, and training. Responsible for achieving the sales and financial targets for these departments.
- Understands, models and instills company culture.
- Builds a culture of quality products and selection that is best in the industry, tailored to meet the needs of each of the neighborhoods we serve.
- Develops and champions programs that support our local food economy. Helps to build and nurture local supplier relationships.
- Communicates a clear vision on financial priorities.
- Motivates and inspires others. Builds community within and outside of New Seasons Market.
- Communication style is collaborative, confident, informative, adaptive and effective.
- Demonstrates adaptability, flexibility and creativity in problem-solving and is solutions-oriented.
- Leads and supports the change management process across the team
- Utilizes strategic thinking, data and industry knowledge to create competitive advantage.
- Plans for the future by setting clear and attainable goals.
- Promotes opportunities for the professional growth of others.
- Lead their group of Category Managers to ensure that the overall company’s objectives are being met regarding vendor partnerships, product assortment, and supply-chain
- Works closely and creates a collaborative relationship with both internal partners to meet goals.
- Ensure we cultivate a strong relationship with our vendor partners, uphold our Pledge to Vendors, and ensure we are the “best place to do business”. Ensure our vendors grow as we grow and provide assistance where we can so that they can achieve their full potential.
- Provide guidance to Category Managers about changing customer trends. Gather insights from internal and external resources to enable fact based decision making
- Drive innovation and the spirit of bold thinking that gives New Seasons Market a competitive edge
- Conduct periodic reviews of assortment and product selection to ensure we are meeting our objective to be the “ultimate neighborhood grocery store”
- Work with the Category Manager to implement category insights practices and a business discipline around product, price, promotion, and placement
- Work with the Manager of Pricing and Category Insights to meet our goals for price/value and competitive position. Identify image and margin opportunities and oversee the necessary modeling and analysis with recommendations to management
- Establish plans to support the company’s promotional and merchandising planning calendar
- Make sure Category Managers are working on plans that deliver our brand promise through adherence to the Category Role process
- Provide oversight and direction to the weekly ad circular. Coordinate with Category Managers to create a cohesive plan, manage markdown investment , and deliver financial targets
- Develop programs that instill product knowledge for our staff from Store Support to stores
- Create Standard Operating Practices so that our merchandising plans and strategies come to life in our stores in a way that ensures operational excellence and an amazing customer and staff experience
- Conduct regular visits to stores with each Category Manager to understand their programs and provide mentorship.
- Provide input into the annual financial planning process
- Drive product innovation that ensures we are meeting the needs of our customer and changing consumer trends. Create an environment that challenges the Category Management team, drives innovation, and makes bold moves that can set us apart
- Stay abreast of industry changes around category trends, new products, equipment, and fixtures
- Work with the Category Management team to create exciting events that drive customer traffic and trial of our signature and destination categories
- Provide input to the new store/renovation layout and design process so that we are setting ourselves apart from the competition while ensuring operational efficiency and cost control
- Work closely with marketing to generate new ideas and leverage new technology to promote our stories, our people, and our products
- Ensure we are meeting our goals for a strong balance across planet, people, and profits
- Develop processes to provide weekly updates to leadership, marketing, and stores on category /item performance , event analysis, and profitability
- Work with merchandising, accounting, and store development to create targets for all capital expenditures. Conduct regular analyses on strategic investments (ROI)
- Conduct period end assessments as needed. Work with Operations to identify and solve areas of opportunity that are diluting sales or margin potential
- Participate in quarterly review processes as needed
- Provide input into the annual planning process (financial and strategic)
- Work with Category Managers on buying practices and COGS management
- Develop Category Managers under area of responsibility. Clearly communicate expectations and work with individuals on area’s to help them reach their potential
- Work with Store Operations to develop store department managers and staff
- Create programs that are clearly communicated , easily understood, and flawlessly executed
- Ensure each Category Manager role has a development plan that supports our growth
- Create a collaborative climate across the company
- Responds to and follows through on emails and other communications in a timely manner.
- Models good citizenship through respectful and effective communication in line with company values. Demonstrates a whole company perspective through positive leadership and role modeling.
- Observes all store rules and policies as listed in the New Seasons Market Staff Handbook and Operations Manual.
- Works collaboratively to maintain a harmonious environment and resolve issues. Communicates in a professional and constructive manner.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time. Adjusts priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs and conditions of department and store.
- Responds to feedback in order to improve performance.
- Acts as a steward of company resources and Vision/Mission/Values by training, modeling and promoting sustainable behaviors/operations.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety
- Understands and enforces New Seasons Market work safety policies and guidelines set forth by OSHA and other regulatory agencies. Upholds the highest level of work safety. Takes appropriate action on work safety concerns raised by staff and regulatory agencies.
- Understands and enforces New Seasons Market food safety policies. Takes appropriate action on food safety concerns raised by staff and regulatory agencies.
- Demonstrates awareness of common allergens and food borne illness. Reduces risk of cross- contamination through proper product handling and production practices.
- Demonstrates proficiency with emergency procedures, safety equipment and MSDS.
- Contributes to office cleanliness.
- Maintains equipment, informs manager of any problems.
- Reports all safety concerns and work related injuries to management.
Qualifications and Experience
- Four year degree in business or related field or equivalent knowledge/experience.
- Category management and merchandising skills in a grocery retail environment of at least 5 years. This includes P&L management and accountability for sales, labor, pricing and promotional strategies, margin and shrink management, total gross margin, and contribution.
- Able to develop category strategies tied to the company’s overall mission, values, and merchandising vision.
- Experience negotiating with suppliers for costs, promotions, services and distribution (5+ years)
- Prior leadership experience (of at least 5 years) managing the work of at least 5 other people.
- The capacity to communicate and work effectively with all levels of staff and managers is essential, as is the ability to work independently, manage time effectively, multi-task, and problem solve.
- A high level of computer/software proficiency and knowledge of software programs used in food tracking, along with the ability to design and utilize excel spreadsheets and use specialty software, for example, to handle sales statistics, produce sales projections and present spreadsheets and graphs.
- Strong business acumen and demonstrated success in running and growing a business unit. Strategic thinking, planning and execution are a must.
- Ability to perform all duties and responsibilities in an efficient and satisfactory manner that meets or exceeds the standards for productivity, accuracy, cleanliness, harmony and safety established at the staff member’s individual site.
- Ability to travel regularly throughout the Portland area (mileage reimbursed) with limited travel (up to 30% of the time) to Seattle and Northern California.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite required. Ability to quickly learn/navigate new programs & systems.
- Ability to give and receive feedback in a constructive manner.
- Ability to work independently, effectively manage own time and multi-task in a fast-paced, high production environment.
- Ability to work collaboratively with department and store management team.
- Self-motivated, with high attention to detail, quality and presentation.
- Ability to understand and uphold food and work safety policies.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, vendors and customers.
- Ability to read, understand and follow through and give verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet needs of the department.
- Ability to reliably meet required work schedule and adhere to company attendance policy.
Permits and Licenses: Valid driver’s license required.
Supervisory Responsibility: Supervises group of Category Managers
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
- Consistently required to stand, walk, reach, grasp, twist and turn, grasp, talk, listen and hear. This may require fine finger manipulations and repetitive motions with hands and feet.
- Frequently required to sit, stoop, bend, push, pull and squat.
- Consistently required to lift up to 50 pounds without assistance.
- Work performed requires medium physical strength.
- Consistently required to use near and peripheral vision, in addition to depth perception.
May use the following machines, tools and equipment:
- Office Supplies
- Includes working in office and store environments. Includes working in refrigerated areas and on surfaces that can be wet and slippery.
- Typically, maintains a moderate noise level.
- Working with exposure to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants, and flowers.
- Working and using common commercial cleaning agents.
- Frequent hand-washing or use of hand sanitizer.
Important Notice: The job duties, responsibilities, requirements & conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed in this job description are examples of the tasks that a staff member may be required to perform. New Seasons Market reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require staff members to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.