Position Title: Program and Category Manager – Beer & Wine
Supervisory Responsibility: Supervises Category Assistant Manager.
Reports To: Group Director of Merchandising
Pay Band: D | Exempt
Position Description: Responsible for the overall direction, growth and execution of the New Seasons Market Beer & Wine program. Provides leadership, direction and drives sales for our Beer & Wine departments. Develops and mentors Category Assistant Manager and Beer & Wine store leadership teams. Accountable for financial performance of all areas of Beer & Wine program, including achieving sales, margin and waste goals. Creates an inspiring customer experience in our Beer & Wine departments.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Understands, models and instills company culture. Communicates a clear vision. Influences, motivates and inspires others. Builds community within and outside of New Seasons Market.
- Embraces and guides others through change and continuous improvement.
- Builds trust and respect through dependability, organization and follow through.
- Communication style is confident, informative, adaptive and effective, utilizing varied methods and active listening skills.
- Understands group dynamics in order to foster a positive and collaborative work environment. Develops strong and engaged teams and internal partnerships.
- Demonstrates adaptability, flexibility and creativity in problem-solving and is solutions-oriented.
- Utilizes strategic thinking, data and industry knowledge, and calculated risk-taking to create competitive advantage.
- Plans for the future by setting clear and attainable goals.
- Demonstrates self-awareness and seeks opportunities for professional growth. Seeks and responds positively to feedback.
- Promotes opportunities for the professional growth of others.
- Communicates in a professional and constructive manner. Responds to and follows through on emails and other communications in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time. Adjusts priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs of department.
- Observes all store rules and policies as listed in the New Seasons Market Staff Handbook, Operations Manual, and any other official NSM document or manual.
- Acts as a steward of company resources and Vision/Mission/Values by training, modeling and promoting sustainable behaviors/operations.
Position Specific Functions
- Leads the Beer & Wine department to ensure that the overall company’s objectives are being met regarding financial objectives, vendor partnerships, product assortment, and supply chain across all programs.
- Develops a product mix that meets company goals of variety, innovation and margin targets.
- Builds a culture of quality products and selection that is best in the industry, tailored to meet the needs of each of the neighborhoods we serve.
- Consistently reviews assortment and product selection to ensure we are meeting our objective to be the “ultimate neighborhood grocery store”.
- Works with Group Director of Merchandising to identify and implement efficiencies and strategic innovations. Communicates program expectations to ensure successful store execution.
- Maximizes sales and margin potential for Beer & Wine department. Communicates a clear vision on financial priorities.
- Firmly establishes the Beer & Wine merchandising strategy allowing for some “freedom within a framework”.
- Designs programs and develops strategies that assist stores in achieving financial goals, including sales goals, margin targets and waste improvement.
- Creates user-friendly programs that are clearly communicated, easily understood and executed by stores.
- Partners with store department managers and merchandising team to quickly resolve issues impacting store operations, in stock conditions, inventory, margin, waste and store conditions. Identifies and communicates best practices, with support of Store Leadership teams
- Monitors and performs routine analysis of categories, product and program performance, making recommendations and changes that keep us relevant and financially sound.
- Completes period end financial reporting and development of proposed action items.
- Develops and champions programs that support our local food economy. Helps to build and nurture local supplier relationships.
- Ensures the cultivation of strong relationships with our vendor partners, upholding our Pledge to Vendors and ensuring we are the “best place to do business”. Ensures our vendors grow as we grow and provides appropriate assistance so they can achieve their full potential.
- Provides guidance to the Beer & Wine team about changing customer trends. Gathers insights from internal and external resources to enable fact based decision making
- Drives innovation and the spirit of bold thinking that gives New Seasons Market a competitive edge.
- Trains and mentors Category Assistant Manager. Clearly communicates expectations and provides ongoing coaching and feedback around performance and accountability. Creates a personalized development plan that supports and drives their professional growth.
- Collaborates with store leadership teams and serves as a resource for the development of Beer & Wine Managers. Provides insightful, helpful and consistent performance feedback.
- Assists with Beer & Wine design and lay-out in the new store planning process. Participates in CAPEX process to drive sales.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
Required Permits and Licenses: Valid driver’s license and alcohol serving permits for all regions.
Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety
- Adheres to work and food safety policies set forth by the company and regulatory agencies.
- Contributes to all office cleanliness.
- Maintains equipment; informs department/office management of any problems.
- Reports all safety concerns and work related injuries to management.
Tools and Equipment Used
This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: office equipment, computer, printer and scanner.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 5 years of program or category management experience required. Experience in a multi-unit, high growth grocery/retail environment preferred/required.
- Previous experience working with Beer & Wine products with demonstrated product knowledge, including terminology, styles and producers, required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related fields or equivalent experience preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with problem-solving, project management and execution of initiatives across multiple locations.
- An excellent communicator and collaborator who can inspire, motivate, and coach employees at all levels.
- Skills to create effective communication tools, including but not limited to: reports, procedure manuals, staff action plans, merchandising and training documents.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel, with skills to learn new programs and systems.
- Prior experience with a food service/inventory/recipe database and history working with the systems reporting and analysis capabilities.
- Proven experience driving and executing strategic initiatives and projects that achieve measurable business results.
- Demonstrated aptitude to work at both a strategic/conceptual level as well as a tactical/implementation level.
- An outside-the-box thinker who takes smart risks and seeks continuous improvement.
- Excellent organizational and project coordination skills, with an eye for process improvement. Previous project management experience a plus.
- Strong strategic thinking capabilities, with skills to generate innovative ideas.
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking and data-driven decision making skills.
- Exceptional problem solving skills, with a focus on finding solutions and process improvement.
- Collaborative, strategic thinker and problem solver, with a demonstrated ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with ability to respond to urgent job responsibilities as they arise and flexible when priorities redirect.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including tact and diplomacy, to collaborate, negotiate and communicate effectively and professionally with cross-functional partners at all levels in the company.
- Demonstrated ability to influence others without the benefit of authority.
- Strong attention to detail, quality and presentation.
- Self-motivated, with ability to work independently and in a collaborative, cross-functional team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise good judgment around sensitive information.
- Skills to read, understand and follow through on verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet needs of the department.
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle required, with ability to travel regularly to store locations, trade shows and other off-site locations throughout West Coast.
- Light work level
- Frequently required to sit, walk, reach and grasp.
- Occasionally required to stand, bend, twist and turn, lift and carry 1-20 pounds, lift 21-50 pounds, push and/or pull 1-50 pounds.
- Includes working in an office environment and occasionally in a variety of off-site environments, which may include working in refrigerated areas and on surfaces than can be wet and slippery.
- Typically maintains a moderate noise level.
- Working with exposure to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants, and flowers.
- Working near and using common commercial cleaning agents and chemicals.
Important Notice: The job duties, responsibilities, requirements and conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed in this job description are examples of the tasks that a staff member may be required to perform. New Seasons Market reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require staff members to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.