Kickstarter is seeking a Director of Music to engage with musicians and grow Kickstarter’s presence within in the Music landscape.
About the Team
Kickstarter is open to backers around the world and creators in 22 countries. The Community Outreach team focuses on engaging with creators in creative communities we serve, acting as experts and advocates on their field, inspiring creators to use Kickstarter to support their creative work, and managing a large portfolio of relationships. We are a team of entrepreneurial individuals who are action-oriented and believe deeply in the importance of creative independence.
About the Role
With over 24,000 successfully funded music projects, music on Kickstarter represents an important opportunity for artists to develop resources and connect with their community and build a strong foundation for future success. Among those projects are chart-topping albums, GRAMMY award nominees and winners, innovation in music technology and hardware, documentaries and more. Our newest platform, Drip, allows musicians to set up subscriptions with their fans. From established artists to future stars - Kickstarter helps bring music to life.
The Director of Music will develop, plan, and execute a growth and engagement strategy to help expand Kickstarter’s impact within communities of musicians and their fans. This position is based in Brooklyn and will include some travel within the US and Canada. You will work closely with a variety of teams across Kickstarter, including the international team, content & curation and our communications team.
In This Role, You Will:
- Identify, recruit and advise creators for Kickstarter projects and Drip subscriptions.
- Build a strategy for expanding Kickstarter’s role and impact within specific Music communities.
- Align the needs of music creators and their fans with our company mission and goals.
- Identify and develop brand-aligned partnerships to increase the pipeline of high-quality music creators and elevate Kickstarter's cultural presence within the music landscape.
- Speak at and attend events relevant to Kickstarter’s community
- Work closely with our curatorial, editorial and communications teams to amplify Kickstarter’s cultural voice and the impact of music creators.
- Creative thinker with an a deep understanding of the music landscape, including developing and established artists
- Attuned to how musicians currently think about and use Kickstarter
- Strong vision for how Kickstarter can be better utilized by music creators and evolve to meet their changing needs
- Minimum 6 years work experience with deep knowledge & network in the music industry
- Relationship builder and influencer who inspires action and engenders trust through excellent communication
- Comfortable and credible engaging with a wide spectrum of relevant people in the music world, including artists, managers, agents, labels, and platforms
- Strong project manager, with a commitment to data-driven and organized work
- Kind, collaborative, calm, and flexible under pressure
- Jack of all trades with an entrepreneurial mindset, willing to roll up your sleeves to get stuff done
- Humble, not afraid to make mistakes and view every experience as an opportunity to learn
- Willing to travel within North America
Bonus Points if You:
- Have run a Kickstarter project, backed a Kickstarter project, or supported a creator on Drip.
- Have made things before and know what it’s like to be a creator.