Kickstarter is a Public Benefit Corporation, and our mission is to help bring creative projects to
life. We measure our success as a company by how well we achieve that mission, not by the
size of our profits. In our charter, we spell out our mission, our values, and the commitments we
have made to pursue them.
About the Role
General Counsel at Kickstarter is an important leadership role. Our GC is central to our
day-to-day operations, and is a key partner in committed areas of innovation and leadership for
Kickstarter -- from corporate and governance structures to site policy to public policy. As
Kickstarter’s approach is unique, as is this role. It’s a position that helps push things forward,
considering impact both inside and outside of Kickstarter’s walls.
This position will be based in our Greenpoint HQ in Brooklyn, NY. Reporting to the
In This Role, You Will:
- Support the Board of Directors, CEO, and executive team in strategic decisions.
- Provide strategic legal advice across the company (including to product team),
balancing legal needs with company values and objectives.
- Support and advise the People Team on policies, procedures, and compliance.
- Manage company’s commercial counsel and support negotiation of major contracts
and development of standard contracts to support business.
- Oversee selection and management of all outside counsel.
- Manage and direct strategy on all litigation.
- Apply artist-/creator-friendly perspective to assessments of risk (in particular with
respect to IP and user-generated content).
- Work closely with CEO and Chairman on developing and implementing creative
governance structures and liquidity options that support the company’s PBC mission
and goal of long-term independence.
- Oversee all matters related to company’s PBC status, including advocacy, internal
compliance, reporting, and development of future governance structures.
- Handle company’s public policy matters, including both proactively addressing US and
international regulatory issues and positioning Kickstarter as a leader in public policy
issues related to artists and creators and the company’s PBC commitments.
- 7-10 years of professional experience, ideally 3-5 in-house in a General Counsel role
- Have a broad range of subject-matter experience, including data privacy, employment
law, IP (including management of trademark portfolio, patent defense and prosecution,
and DMCA/trademark compliance related to user-generated content), regulatory work,
transactional work (including contract negotiation and licensing), and corporate
- J.D. from top law school with strong academic record and bar admission (and in good
standing) in any U.S. state
- Possess a rigorous and thorough legal skillset, you are a self-starter with a strong sense of
- You are an excellent communicator with impeccable written, verbal, and presentation
- You have highly organized and able to juggle many projects at any given time
- You have a proven track record of providing proactive, pragmatic legal counsel to
- You have sound judgment; you know how to resolve complicated matters while
maintaining integrity and confidentiality