Director of HR & Compensation job in New York City
We’re looking for a Director of Human Resources and Compensation to oversee the administration, coordination, and evaluation of the human resource team at Warby Parker, as well as develop and implement new and revised compensation programs, policies, and procedures to be responsive to our goals and competitive practices. The person in this position will also be also responsible for ensuring (through audits, legal reports, and face-to-face conversation) that company programs are consistently administered in compliance with company policies and government regulations.
What you’ll do:
- Annually review (and makes recommendations to executive management for improvement of) Warby Parker’s policies, procedures and practices on personnel matters.
- Oversee company payroll processing, plus our benefits plan design and administration, perk programs, and immigration compliance
- Stay informed of industry trends and employment legislation and ensures Warby Parker’s compliance
- Assist executive management in the annual review, preparation, and administration of the organization's wage and salary program
- Develop and maintain a human resource information system that meets the organization's personnel information needs
- Supervise the staff of the human resources department
- Monitor the effectiveness of existing compensation policies, guidelines, and procedures, recommending revisions as well as new plans that are cost-effective and consistent with compensation trends and corporate objectives
- Manages the administration of compensation for all staff, including the processing, recording and reporting of compensation-related actions related to employees.
- Keeps apprised of federal, state, and local compensation laws and regulations to ensure company compliance
Who you are:
- A seasoned HR expert with 7+ years of relevant experience
- The proud owner of a bachelor’s degree
- An expert, empathetic communicator
- A critical thinker who can see the big picture and make data-supported recommendations and decisions
- A globally and culturally aware person who’s comfortable with teammates of all backgrounds
- An experienced leader who can rally a team around ambitious goals and meet them
- SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) or SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) credential.
Warby Parker was founded in 2010 with a lofty objective: to offer designer eyewear at a revolutionary price while leading the way for socially conscious businesses. By circumventing traditional channels and designing our frames in house, we’re able to offer insanely high-quality eyewear at decidedly non-insane prices (i.e., from $95 with prescription lenses—a fraction of the going price!).
In the last eight years, we’ve grown to over 60 retail locations in the U.S. and Canada, opened our first optical lab in upstate New York, and launched two of our own iOS apps. And for three years running, Fast Company has named us one of the world’s most innovative companies.
We also hold ourselves to the highest standards of social and environmental responsibility. This means lots of different things, like operating carbon-neutrally and distributing a pair of glasses to someone in need for every pair we sell. (We’re big believers that businesses can scale and be profitable while doing good in the world.)
Of course, all work and no play makes an extremely dull office, and no one likes an extremely dull office. (We sure don’t.) As an employee at Warby Parker, you can look forward to company outings, guest speakers, volunteering opportunities, and other brain- (and/or taste-bud-) stimulating activities. It also doesn’t hurt that our team is just great company.
Some benefits and perks of working at Warby Parker:
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Flexible “My Time” vacation policy
- Retirement savings plan with a company match
- Parental leave (non-birthing parents included)
- Cell phone plan reimbursement
- A health-and-wellness stipend
- Free eyewear (plus discounts for friends and family)
- And more (just ask!)