Position Title: Field Merchandiser - Grocery
Supervisory Responsibility: Not responsible for supervising others.
Reports To: Director of Grocery Buying and Merchandising
Pay Band B | Exempt
Position Description: Responsible for the implementation of grocery category strategies in stores, including resets and new item cut-ins. Acts as liaison between grocery merchandising team and store and grocery leadership teams. Assists in creating an inspiring customer experience in our grocery department by ensuring an innovative product mix and assortment that is best in the industry and tailored to meet the needs of each of the neighborhoods we serve.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Understands and models company culture. Works to build community among department staff and with other departments, including stores and Central Kitchen.
- Delivers exceptional service and demonstrates friendly and attentive behaviors with internal and external customers.
- Embraces change and continuous improvement.
- Demonstrates dependability, organization and follow through.
- Demonstrates adaptability, flexibility and creativity in problem-solving and is solutions-oriented.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time. Adjusts priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs of department.
- Communicates in a professional and constructive manner. Responds to and follows through on emails and other communications in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates self-awareness and seeks opportunities for professional growth. Seeks and responds to feedback in order to improve performance.
- Observes all rules and policies as listed in the New Seasons Market Staff Handbook, Operations Manual, and any other official NSM document or manual.
- Acts as a steward of company resources and Vision/Mission/Values by modeling and promoting sustainable behaviors/operations.
Position Specific Functions
- Partners with the grocery merchandising team to implement category strategies at store level, optimizing the category role to fit the needs of the local neighborhood and communities.
- Works with department managers to maintain grocery sets and perform category resets as needed and directed by the category managers. Follows and maintains a set schedule as directed by category management team.
- Utilizes tools to optimize facings for holding power and assortment, working with the category management team to ensure category roles and assortment targets are in place.
- Collaborates with store and grocery leadership teams and uses tools and reports to identify category opportunities for expansion or retraction of facings. Identifies additional ways for item pack out and inventory control.
- Stays on top of category trends by evaluating assortment, zero movers, items not carried, shelf standards, tagging and rotation.
- Leads and executes “new item cut in” process for assigned stores. May manage a broker team, including giving instruction and ensuring follow through.
- Sets and merchandises all new stores, in partnership with grocery merchandising team. Manages the 21 day new store opening process and ensures deadlines are met.
- Assists department managers with execution of 21 day new store opening process. Assistance may include receiving, freight breakdown/staging, backroom organization, display building, proper signage etiquette, scheduling, and mentoring staff.
- Assists department managers with grocery ordering for new stores. Mentors order writers to build ordering acumen and write orders consistent with department goals and standards to ensure the highest level of product availability.
- Provides mentorship to grocery department staff to achieve operational and merchandising excellence. Assists department managers with back room and inventory organization, inventory preparation and other basic grocery processes and procedures.
- Partners with grocery leadership teams and merchandising team to quickly resolve issues impacting store operations, in stock conditions, inventory, margin, waste and store conditions. Identifies and communicates best practices, with support of store leadership teams. Performs regular store walks with store and grocery leadership teams.
- Maintains excellent communication with department managers, store leadership teams and grocery merchandising team.
- Collaborates with store leadership teams and serves as a resource for the development of grocery managers. Provides insightful, helpful and consistent performance feedback.
- Builds and maintains strong relationships with our vendor partners, upholding our Pledge to Vendors and ensuring we are the “best place to do business”. Ensures our vendors grow as we grow and provides appropriate assistance so they can achieve their full potential.
- Works closely with entire merchandising department to evolve department cooperation and promote collaboration in stores.
- Performs other tasks and duties as assigned.
Required Permits and Licenses: Valid driver’s license.
Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety
- Adheres to work and food safety policies set forth by the company and regulatory agencies.
- Contributes to all-office cleanliness.
- Maintains equipment; informs department/office management of any problems.
- Reports all safety concerns and work related injuries to management.
Tools and Equipment Used
This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: office equipment, computer, printer, scanner, box knife, baler, scanner, lift/heister, pallet jack, ladder, cart, hand truck, and price gun.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Previous retail management experience required. Grocery experience strongly preferred.
- Previous ordering/inventory management experience required.
- Working knowledge of category schematics and planograms preferred.
- Previous visual merchandising experience a plus.
- Excellent organizational and project coordination skills, with an eye for process improvement. Previous project management experience a plus.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint, with skills to learn new computer programs and systems.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with ability to respond to urgent job responsibilities as they arise and flexible when priorities redirect.
- Excellent organizational skills, with strong attention to detail, quality and presentation.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, with skills to apply judgment and logic in decision making.
- Skills to work with a high degree of accuracy and meet timelines with high quality results.
- Skills to plan, prioritize and organize work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including tact and diplomacy, to collaborate, negotiate and communicate effectively and professionally with cross-functional partners at all levels in the company and external partners.
- Self-motivated, with ability to work independently and in a collaborative, cross-functional team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise good judgment around sensitive information.
- Skills to read, understand and follow through on verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet needs of the department.
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle required, with ability to travel regularly to store locations and other sites throughout Portland metro area. Occasional travel to Northern California or Seattle regions and regional trade shows required.
- Medium work level
- Continuously required to be on feet with a mix of standing and walking throughout shift. Sitting occasionally required.
- Continuously required to: lift and carry 1-10 pounds; use arms, hands and wrists; grasping/squeezing
- Frequently required to: lift and carry 11-20 pounds; push and/or pull 1-80 pounds; twist; reach at/above shoulder; reach below shoulder
- Occasionally required to: lift and carry 21-50 pounds; bend/stoop; crouch/squat; kneel; climb step stools
- Frequency of climbing stairs and ladders dependent on location
- Includes working in an office environment and regularly in a grocery store environment which includes surfaces that can be wet and slippery, moderate noise level, and temperature extremes in controlled environments in the cooler and freezer, and depending on location, working outside in all temperatures.
- There may be exposure to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants, and flowers.
- Work requires use of and working in proximity to common commercial cleaning agents.
Important Notice: The job duties, responsibilities, requirements and conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed in this job description are examples of the tasks that a staff member may be required to perform. New Seasons Market reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require staff members to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.