Position Title: Store Supervisor
Department: Admin - Operations
Supervisory Responsibility: Not responsible for supervising others.
Reports To: Assistant Store Manager
Region: California Coastal
FLSA Classification: Non-exempt
Position Description: Partners with Assistant Store Manager to manage store operations, including financial stewardship, customer service, department conditions, merchandising, food safety, work safety, communication, hiring, training and performance management. Ensures the store provides an exceptional customer shopping experience, with the highest level of service and product knowledge. Provides leadership in line with company values and promotes a positive and progressive work environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to a positive and supportive work environment.
- Demonstrates an adaptable and flexible work style, shifting tasks as priorities and circumstances change.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time. Adjusts priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs and conditions of department.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, as well as cooperatively within a team.
- Gives and receives feedback in a constructive manner. Responds to feedback in order to improve performance.
- Understands and follows through on verbal and written directions.
- Speaks up. Shares ideas and feedback that contributes to success of store and company.
- Conserves company resources. Works in a manner consistent with company Vision, Mission and Values and sustainability program.
- Observes all company rules and policies.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
Position Specific Functions
- Partners with assistant store manager to manage and provide oversight to overall store operations. Assesses, prioritizes and delegates tasks and production. Prepares store for opening and closing.
- Ensures consistency of store conditions. Partners with department management teams to ensure all areas of store are stocked, rotated, faced and adhere to merchandising standards and category schematics.
- Conducts regular store walks to ensure consistent store conditions, including appearance, cleanliness, product availability, and staffing and service levels.
- Monitors store for food safety and work safety concerns.
- Partners with assistant store manager to monitor, identify and take action on facility maintenance issues throughout the interior and exterior of the store. May act as point person for facility issues.
- Supports store leadership team in ensuring staff members follow policies and procedures.
- Handles safety and security issues as they occur in the store, utilizing judgment and company guidelines.
- Responds to staff and customer injuries, accidents and emergencies per company policy, including incident documentation and insurance notification.
- Addresses customer incidents relating to food safety and product quality, per company policy. Monitors and manages product recall process as needed.
- Partners with assistant store manager to plan for weekly ads, events and holidays using tools and reports.
- Maintains professional vendor relationships.
- Ensures customer special orders are accurately placed and delivered.
- Receives and unloads merchandise; checks quality, count and condition. Communicates any issues to management and merchandising team.
- Stocks and rotates products with attention to product quality and expiration dates.
- Maintains the organization, rotation and cleanliness of back stock areas.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time. Adjusts priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs and conditions of department and store.
- Observes all rules and policies as listed in the New Leaf Community Markets Staff Handbook and Operations Manual.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
Customer Service and Merchandising
- Maintains excellent store conditions, including appearance, cleanliness, signage, staffing and service levels.
- Delivers exceptional service and demonstrates friendly and attentive behaviors with internal and external customers.
- Handles escalated difficult customer service situations and seeks solutions to delight the customer.
- Reads and understands merchandising information. Supports department management teams in the development and execution of merchandising plans to promote peak seasonal/ad item/holiday products, drive sales and create an optimal customer shopping experience.
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of products in the store and general understanding of culinary terminology, product labeling and common dietary restrictions.
- Shares product knowledge with customers and staff. Makes recommendations and suggestions based on customer needs. Establishes consistent program for communicating product information and knowledge to staff.
- Demonstrates an awareness of trends in the industry.
- Demonstrates a solid understanding of labor, sales and margin goals and factors that influence them. Partners with assistant store manager to meet labor and margin goals.
- Ensures that department adheres to company invoice, credit, transfers and inventory procedures.
- Coaches department to maintain appropriate, accurate and organized inventory and back stock. Handles damaged and spoiled product according to company policy.
- Demonstrates creativity in merchandising and utilization of products in order to increase sales and minimize waste.
- Leverages resources and labor to maximize efficiency, without compromising quality and service standards.
Required Permits and Licenses: Food Handler’s card, ServSafe certification and alcohol server permit
Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety
- Participates actively in the maintenance and enrichment of a workplace safety culture.
- Understands and enforces New Leaf Community Markets work safety policies and guidelines set forth by OSHA and other regulatory agencies.
- Identifies and addresses factors that contribute to the functionality of store and department equipment.
- Promotes the highest level of department cleanliness. Ensures general housekeeping and janitorial tasks are scheduled and conducted on a regular basis and ensures sanitation standards established by store policy and state and local health departments are practiced.
- Understands and enforces New Leaf Community Markets food safety policies.
- Demonstrates proficiency with emergency procedures, safety equipment and MSDS.
- Frequent handwashing is required.
Tools and Equipment Used
This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: POS, conveyor belt, scales, slicers, box knife, baler, scanner, lift/heister, forklift, stacker, pallet jack, bottle machine, ladder, cart, hand truck, temp gun, power washer, vacuum, floor cleaning machine, computer, and office equipment
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Friendly and customer service oriented, with an interest in food and cooking.
- Previous retail, grocery or food service experience required. Experience in a high volume environment preferred.
- Previous supervisory experience preferred.
- Basic to intermediate math and computation skills required.
- Intermediate to advanced computer proficiency required. Experience with Excel and scheduling software preferred.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills required.
- Skills to manage financial results, including labor and profit margin.
- Skills to plan, prioritize and delegate work.
- Skills to train, coach and hold staff accountable.
- Skills to work independently, effectively manage own time and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Skills to adapt to the shifting priorities and needs of a retail environment.
- Skills to exercise good judgment at all times.
- Self-motivated, with high attention to detail, quality and presentation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Skills to collaborate and communicate effectively and professionally in a team environment and one on one with coworkers, supervisors and customers.
- Skills to manage difficult customer interactions required.
- Skills to read, understand and follow through on verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion around sensitive information.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet needs of the department.
- Ability to reliably meet required work schedule and adhere to company attendance policy.
- Medium work level
- Continuously required to be on feet with a mix of standing and walking throughout shift. Sitting occasionally required.
- Continuously required to: use arms, hands and wrists; grasping/squeezing
- Frequently required to: lift and carry 1-20 pounds; lift 21-50 pounds; bend/stoop; twist; reach at/above shoulder; reach below shoulder
- Occasionally required to: carry 21-50 pounds; push and/or pull 1-80 pounds; crouch/squat; kneel
- Seldom required to: crawl
- Frequency of climbing stairs and ladders dependent on location
- Work occurs in a grocery store environment which includes surfaces that can be wet and slippery, moderate noise level, and temperature extremes in controlled environments in the cooler and freezer, and depending on location, working outside in all temperatures.
- There may be exposure to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants, and flowers.
- Work requires use of and working in proximity to common commercial cleaning agents.
- This position works on or around moving machinery or moving parts.
Important Notice: The job duties, responsibilities, requirements and conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed in this job description are examples of the tasks that a staff member may be required to perform and may vary slightly based on location. New Leaf Community Markets reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require staff members to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.