Software Engineer, Full Stack job in Victoria
Vacancy has expired
With over 225 million users in 196 countries, Change.org is the world’s largest technology platform for social change. We’re a social impact business, and we’re aiming to build a world where no one is powerless and where creating change is a part of everyday life.
As a Software Engineer in our Victoria office, you'll be part of a close-knit team, use your skills to make the world better, and work in the vibrant downtown district of one of the most beautiful cities in Canada.
We also do everything we can to look after our staff, unlimited vacation that actually gets used, and 18 weeks parental leave are just the beginning. The teams themselves are high impact, low ego and incredibly inspiring.
Here's what you'll do as part of our team:
- Take part in regular creative brainstorming sessions to improve the product quality.
- Work in an agile environment (TDD, pairing, short release cycles).
- Lead technical projects.
- Support and develop Software Engineers through mentorship and coaching.
- Architect new systems and components.
- Troubleshoot scaling and deployment issues.
- Proactively refactor the codebase to improve its quality.
- Contribute to our bottom line through rigorous analytics and A/B testing.
- Create tools that turn abstract ideas into something visual.
- Teach, learn, and document.
Here are the skills & experience we hope you have:
- 3+ years of experience writing clean, performant, test-driven code.
- 1+ years experience in Ruby on Rails.
- 1+ years experience building systems from the ground up.
- 1+ years experience working with a production system at scale.
- 1+ years systems integration experience.
- Identify and analyze issues across the entire stack.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, especially in technical subjects.
- Properly size-up a feature to understand the potential risk versus gain.
- Put in place tools to ensure the reliability, availability and serviceability of a service.
- Sound understanding of Linux and process management.
- Familiarity working with SQL and data stores (MySQL, Redis, Cassandra).
Nice to haves:
- Experience with Node.js, Backbone.js, Rendr or React.
- Knowledge of Chef or similar configuration management tools.
- Knowledge of Golang.
- Knowledge of additional languages and frameworks.
- Experience in additional software stacks.
- Experience teaching and mentoring.
This is a full-time opportunity. The position is located in Victoria.
Change.org is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities and perspectives to apply.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.