Position Title: Assistant Group Leader – Prepared Foods
Department: Prepared Foods
Supervisory Responsibility: Supervises Assistant Managers and all department staff.
Reports To: Group Leader - Prepared Foods
Region: Northern Washington
FLSA Classification: Non-exempt
Position Description: Leads Prepared Foods department and staff, including financial stewardship, customer service, department conditions, merchandising, food safety, work safety, communication, hiring, training and performance management. Ensures the department provides an exceptional customer shopping experience, with the highest level of service and product knowledge. Provides leadership in line with company values and promotes a positive and progressive work environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Understands, models and instills company culture. Creates a positive and supportive work environment.
- Promotes a collaborative team environment through recognition, leading by example and working alongside staff. Demonstrates approachability and fosters open communication. Creates an environment where staff are invested and encouraged to contribute ideas. Demonstrates a pro-active approach in resolving staff issues and conflicts.
- Demonstrates a whole store perspective. May work with store leadership team in providing oversight to overall store operations, including service levels and store conditions.
- Builds trust and respect through dependability, organization and follow through.
- Demonstrates adaptability, flexibility and creativity in problem-solving and is solutions-oriented.
- Bases decisions on analysis, experience, resources and circumstances. Prioritizes and acts decisively under pressure.
- Establishes and maintains effective verbal and written communication systems.
- Communicates in a professional and constructive manner. Responds to and follows through on emails and other communications in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates self-awareness and seeks opportunities for professional growth. Seeks and responds positively to feedback.
- Demonstrates an understanding of basic Human Resources concepts; works with resources at store level to increase knowledge.
- Acts as a steward of company resources and Vision/Mission/Values by training, modeling and promoting sustainable behaviors/operations.
- Balances administrative tasks with presence on floor.
- Manages and provides oversight to all areas of the department. Assesses, prioritizes and delegates tasks and production.
- Oversees ordering and production of Prepared Foods products to meet anticipated sales and seasonal needs. Trains staff to write orders and production schedules consistent with department goals and standards to ensure the highest level of product availability.
- Plans for weekly ads, events and holidays using tools and reports. Works with Group Leader to understand and respond to current store trends.
- Ensures all Prepared Foods products are processed and prepared to company standards and specifications. Responsible for addressing quality, consistency and production issues.
- Maintains professional vendor relationships.
- Ensures compliance with organic standards.
- Ensures compliance with state and local liquor laws.
- Coordinates with Assistant Manager - Community Engagement to plan and conduct in-store tastings and events.
- Ensures customer special orders are accurately placed and delivered.
- Receives and unloads merchandise; checks quality, count and condition. Communicates any issues to management and merchandising team.
- Stocks and rotates products with attention to product quality and expiration dates.
- Maintains the organization, rotation and cleanliness of sales and back stock areas and all supplies.
- Stocks, rotates and merchandises Prepared Foods products.
- Prepares, wraps, weighs and prices products according to department policy.
- Produces Prepared Foods products in accordance with company and regulatory agency standards.
- Processes customers’ made-to-order items accurately and expeditiously.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time. Adjusts priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs and conditions of department and store.
- Observes all rules and policies as listed in the New Seasons Market Staff Handbook and Operations Manual.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
Staffing and Development
- Oversees effective scheduling and labor allocation to meet business needs and labor budget. Ensures adequate staffing conditions, including leadership coverage.
- Builds and sustains a high performing team. Oversees development of staff members including interviewing and hiring, training and development and performance management.
- Supervises and mentors Assistant Managers and department staff. Communicates expectations and holds accountable for meeting standards through ongoing feedback, trainingand coaching. Evaluates and develops leadership skills. Provides varied opportunities to maximize learning.
- Oversees the development and execution of training programs for all areas of the department.
- Seeks opportunities to train and develop staff members to take on increased responsibilities. Demonstratesability to adapt approach to different learning styles among staff.
- Oversees the preparation and delivery of corrective actions and performance reviews in a timely manner. Follows documentation and compensation guidelines.
- Ensures department representation at all required committee meetings. Encourages and supports staff participation in other committees.
Customer Service and Merchandising
- Establishes and communicates customer service expectations. Models friendly and attentive customer service, coaches staff, recognizes accomplishments and identifies areas of opportunity.
- Assists customers with product selection. Shares product knowledge with customers. Makes recommendations and suggestions based on customer needs.
- Handles escalated difficult customer service situations and seeks solutions to delight the customer. Trains and coaches staff to do the same.
- Maintains excellent department conditions, including appearance, items in stock, cleanliness, signage, staffing and service levels. Ensures all areas of department are stocked, rotated, faced and adhere to merchandising standards and category schematics.
- Develops, executes and oversees merchandising plans that adhere to category standards, drive sales and create an optimal customer experience.
- Trains staff to build displays and arrange department products to make attractive presentations, highlighting featured/unique/seasonal items.
- Establishes consistent program for communicating product information and knowledge to staff.
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of products in the department and general understanding of culinary terminology, product labeling and common dietary restrictions.
- Demonstrates an awareness of trends in the industry.
- Oversees ordering and production to maintain appropriate inventory levels to achieve sales and margin goals.
- Plans, leads and analyzes monthly perishable inventories.
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of labor, sales and margin goals and factors that influence them. Meets labor and margin goals. Develops and executes a plan when results do not meet expectations.
- Ensures that department adheres to company invoice, credit, transfers and inventory procedures.
- Coaches department to maintain appropriate, accurate and organized inventory and back stock. Handles damaged and spoiled product according to company policy.
- Demonstrates creativity in merchandising and utilization of products in order to increase sales and minimize waste.
- Leverages resources and labor to maximize efficiency, without compromising quality and service standards.
- Trains department staff to develop financial knowledge.
Required Permits and Licenses: Food Handler’s card, ServSafe certification and alcohol server permit
Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety
- Participates actively in the maintenance and enrichment of a workplace safety culture.
- Understands and enforces New Seasons Market work safety policies and guidelines set forth by OSHA and other regulatory agencies. Takes appropriate action on work safety concerns raised by staff and regulatory agencies.
- Identifies and addresses factors that contribute to the functionality of store and department equipment. Follows through with service and maintenance needs.
- Promotes the highest level of department cleanliness. Ensures general housekeeping and janitorial tasks are scheduled and conducted on a regular basis and ensures sanitation standards established by store policy and state and local health departments are practiced.
- Understands and enforces New Seasons Market food safety policies. Takes appropriate action on food safety concerns raised by staff and regulatory agencies.
- Demonstrates proficiency with emergency procedures, safety equipment and MSDS.
- Ensures staff members are properly trained on department equipment and safety processes.
- Frequent handwashing is required.
Tools and Equipment Used
This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: blast chiller, robot coupe, blender, slicer, mixer, dividers, proofer/retarder, juicer, kitchen small wares, kettle, knife, range, coffee brewer, espresso machine, taps, kegs, thermometer, dishwasher, scale, oven, grill, heat wrapper, temp gun, hand truck, cart, baler, pallet jack, computer, and office equipment
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Friendly and customer service oriented, with an interest in food and cooking.
- 3+ years of food industry, retail or grocery management experience in a high-volume environment required, with responsibility for a staff of 25 or more.
- Previous P&L responsibility required.
- Previous ordering/inventory management experience required.
- Demonstrated product knowledge and experience working with deli, cheese, bread and/or pastry products required.
- Food production, bakery/pastry production and/or barista experience preferred.
- Intermediate math and computation skills required.
- Intermediate to advanced computer proficiency required. Experience with Excel and food service inventory software preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills required.
- Skills to engage and work with a diverse workforce.
- Skills to manage financial results, including labor and profit margin.
- Skills to plan, prioritize and manage multiple priorities.
- Skills to train, coach and hold staff accountable.
- Skills to adapt to the shifting priorities and needs of a retail environment.
- Skills to exercise good judgment at all times.
- Skills to manage difficult customer interactions required.
- Self-motivated, with high attention to detail, quality and presentation.
- Skills to work independently, effectively manage own time and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Skills to collaborate and communicate effectively and professionally in a team environment and one on one with coworkers, supervisors and customers.
- Skills to read, understand and follow through on verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet needs of the department.
- Ability to reliably meet required work schedule and adhere to company attendance policy.
- Medium work level
- Continuously required to be on feet with a mix of standing and walking throughout shift. Sitting occasionally required.
- Continuously required to: lift and carry 1-10 pounds; use arms, hands and wrists; grasping/squeezing; reach at/above shoulder; reach below shoulder
- Frequently required to: lift and carry 11-20 pounds; bend/stoop; twist
- Occasionally required to: lift and carry 21-50 pounds; push and/or pull 1-40 pounds
- Seldom required to: crouch/squat; climb step stools
- Frequency of climbing stairs and ladders dependent on location
- Work occurs in a grocery store environment which includes surfaces that can be wet and slippery, moderate noise level, and temperature extremes in controlled environments in the cooler, freezer, kitchen and bakery.
- There may be exposure to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants, and flowers.
- Work requires use of and working in proximity to common commercial cleaning agents.
- This position works on or around moving machinery or moving parts; may include vibration.
Important Notice: The job duties, responsibilities, requirements and conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed in this job description are examples of the tasks that a staff member may be required to perform and may vary slightly based on location. New Seasons Market reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require staff members to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.