Accounting Associate For Nonprofits job in Washington
You are mission driven and action oriented. You love to get involved, and work as part of a team to accomplish something great. Any job is your job if it helps the team succeed, and you thrive on variety. Today, you’re looking for a role where you can use those traits to make a real difference in the world by advancing the most important social issues facing humanity today.
If that sounds like you, Arabella Advisors can’t wait to meet you.
Our team needs dynamic and enthusiastic individuals that can jump in and support our accounting needs. If you want the opportunity to work with a fast-growing and entrepreneurial team reshaping the charitable sector, then this job is for you. We incubate new and innovative nonprofit projects, and the accounting associate helps our clients manage their resources for positive societal impact. We need you to be highly organized, and have a demonstrated ability to manage several projects simultaneously. Our accounts payable team processes over 4,000 expense transactions a month. The worked is fast paced and mission-driven.
• Review all invoices for appropriate documentation and approval prior to payment
• Process check and wire requests
• Match invoices to checks, obtain all signatures for checks and distribute checks accordingly
• Reconcile and process monthly credit card statements and payments
• Reconcile and process employee expense reimbursements
• Reconcile vendor statements; research and correct discrepancies
• Respond to all vendor inquiries
• Assist with month-end close
• Maintain files and documentation thoroughly and accurately, in accordance with company policy and accepted accounting practices
• Assist with annual Form 1099 reporting and associated record-keeping requirements
• Assist with preparation of annual audit and tax reconciliation schedules
• Maintain supplies for finance team operations
• Assist the Controller and finance staff with general ledger reconciliations and special projects as needed
To be successful in this role you’ll need:
• Associate's/Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
• At least one year of work experience in an accounting role
• Basic knowledge of accrual accounting
• Proficiency with basic Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Outlook)
• Experience or familiarity with general accounting software
• Must have a strong work ethic, be well-organized and a self-starter
• Strong problem-solving skills, documentation skills, data analysis, research and resolution skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication, including the ability to report on complex data in an easily understandable manner
• Ability to work independently and within teams in a fast-paced and high-volume environment with emphasis on accuracy and timeliness
• Ability to manage and make progress on multiple projects simultaneously
• Ability to perform mathematical computations such as percentages, fractions, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division quickly and accurately
• Strong entrepreneurial spirit and resourcefulness that spurs innovation and problem solving
• Emotional maturity
Other Highly Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Experience in philanthropy, nonprofit management and/or business
• Experience with Microsoft Dynamics GP
• Experience or familiarity with Salesforce or Adobe Pro
• Advanced Excel skills
Our Core Competencies:
• [Service Excellence] Ability to provide excellent, including the ability to efficiently and independently address routine service matters, to suggest effective client-centered solutions when elevating challenges or concerns, and to understand how the team can operate to maintain high-quality service.
• [Project and Task Management] The ability to complete complex tasks, to use a work plan to undertake projects, and to understand how those projects impact the client, team, and/or firm’s objectives
• [Stakeholder Management] The ability to understand stakeholders’ perspectives and circumstances, and to build and manage strong relationships that reflect that understanding.
• [Communication] The ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and professionally, including the ability to adapt style, tone, and content to various audiences; to make technical information assessible to broader audiences; and to collaborate with others to produce strong written deliverables
• [Collaboration] The ability to work cooperatively and inclusively with others to achieve shared goals, including knowing when and how to compromise, being willing to proactively help colleagues, and sharing knowledge in various mediums
• [Continuous Learning] An enthusiasm for taking on stretch and development opportunities, including the ability to accept feedback and use it to improve performance
• [Resourcefulness] The ability to take ownership and be creative and solutions-oriented when encountering challenges that don’t have obvious answers, including knowing when to elevate challenges along with possible solutions
About Arabella Advisors
Arabella Advisors helps foundations, philanthropists and investors who are serious about impact achieve the greatest good with their resources. We work on issues ranging from the social and economic advancement of women and girls, and conservation of our climate and planet, to reducing poverty and inequity in the United States and around the world. Our staff members are mission-driven and action-oriented, and have a unique combination of experience in philanthropy, business, nonprofits, government, finance, law, and other fields. We combine creative, strategic thinking with knowledge and networks developed through decades of hands-on experience. The fastest-growing philanthropic advisory firm in the nation, Arabella is also a certified B Corporation.
About Arabella’s Managed Organizations Team
Arabella Advisors provides operations and management support to multiple nonprofit organizations, including the New Venture Fund, the Windward Fund, and the Hopewell Fund—all 501(c)(3) public charities—and the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a 501(c)(4).These managed organizations house new and innovative public interest projects and nonprofits, as well as coordinate collaborative initiatives between donors and administer grants programs. This type of structure is commonly referred to as fiscal sponsorship, and candidates are highly encouraged to research fiscal sponsorship prior to a first interview. The managed organizations provide support to a diverse range of projects, including many focused on conservation, global health and civic engagement.
Working with Us
We are committed to having a passion-driven, inclusive, transparent, collaborative, healthy, and fun culture. We invite you to visit our careers website to learn more.
To encourage work/life balance we offer flexible work options. Our office is an open space with cubicles and standing desks and informal work areas.
Our salaries are closer to the range of a nonprofit and our benefits are excellent. You’ll start with three weeks of vacation, 80 hours of personal time, and 20 hours
of paid time to volunteer at an organization of your choice. In addition to six federal holidays, you get to pick four more from a list of inclusive religious holidays and your birthday.
We have a competitive health package that includes medical, vision, dental, and prescription insurance. We also provide funds for professional development, a fitness benefit, and cover part of your personal cell phone plan.
How to apply
Submit a resume and a one-page cover online. The cover letter should address why you’re excited to work at Arabella and why you’re qualified for this specific job.
We value diversity and inclusion and encourage all qualified people to apply. If we can make this easier through accommodation in the recruitment process, please let us know.
While Arabella is open to individuals from various locations applying to join our team, please note that we generally are unable to pay for relocation expenses.
We will review applications as they are received and look forward to hearing from you.