Position Title: Promotions and Community Clerk
Department: Promotions and Community
Supervisory Responsibility: Not responsible for supervising others.
Reports To: Promotions and Community Manager
Region: Northern Washington
FLSA Classification: Non-exempt
Position Description: Executes product demos and promotional events and enhances community relations with customers and local organizations. Provides exceptional customer service and product knowledge and contributes to a positive and collaborative team environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to a positive and supportive work environment.
- Demonstrates an adaptable and flexible work style, shifting tasks as priorities and circumstances change.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time. Adjusts priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs and conditions of department.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, as well as cooperatively within a team.
- Gives and receives feedback in a constructive manner. Responds to feedback in order to improve performance.
- Understands and follows through on verbal and written directions.
- Speaks up. Shares ideas and feedback that contributes to success of store and company.
- Conserves company resources. Works in a manner consistent with company Vision, Mission and Values and sustainability program.
- Observes all company rules and policies.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
- Engages the customer in a friendly manner, shares product information and assists in locating product throughout the store. Seeks opportunities to exceed customer expectations and enhance the customer experience.
- Adapts service based on customer needs, handles difficult customer situations and seeks solutions to delight the customer.
Position Specific Functions
- Executes product demos, including sponsored demos, vendor demos and themed tastings. Assists with the coordination of daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly events.
- Ensures that the Promotions and Community department is clean, orderly and stocked during events and tastings. Ensures accurate signage for featured products.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with vendors. Assists with in-store vendor demos and compliance with Outside Vendor Guidelines. Completes bill back paperwork, as needed.
- Maintains awareness of current ads, promotions, holidays and events. Cultivates positive relationships with staff, remaining up-to-date and informed about current specials, focus items, and unique items.
- Uses knowledge of new/local/partner brand products to increase storewide product familiarity through staff education, RAD program, and internal sampling.
- Learns and shares information with customers about products, vendors and origins. Demonstrates excellent knowledge of products throughout the store and understanding of culinary terminology, product labeling and common dietary restrictions.
- Researches and provides recipes to customers.
- May represent New Seasons Market at fundraising and community events, as well as store tours, art receptions and other in-store events.
- May assist with store level community donations and charitable giving programs.
- May respond to customer communication and feedback as assigned.
- Follows company procedures for processing invoices, transfers and credits.
- Handles damaged and spoiled product according to company policy.
- Orders required products and paper goods for demos and events.
- Maintains the organization and cleanliness of back stock areas.
- Understands and complies with specific shift guidelines, tasks and responsibilities.
- Responds to and follows through on emails and other communications in a timely manner.
- Notifies department manager or Manager On Duty of any situations relating to customer service, safety, productivity, security or any other situation that may have an adverse effect on the store.
Required Permits and Licenses: Food Worker’s card. Alcohol server permit may be required.
Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety
- Adheres to work and food safety policies set forth by the company and regulatory agencies.
- Performs janitorial tasks in compliance with sanitation standards established by store policy and state and local health departments. Contributes to store cleanliness.
- Maintains equipment, informs store/department management of any problems.
- Reports all safety concerns and work related injuries to management.
- Frequent handwashing is required.
Tools and Equipment Used
This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: coffee grinder, brewer, hot plate, knives, box cutters, food processor, microwave, grill, oven, roaster, camp stove, cart, dishwasher, baler, can opener, mixers, computer, and office equipment
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Friendly and customer service oriented, with an interest in food and cooking.
- Previous grocery, food service or retail experience required. Culinary training or professional kitchen experience preferred.
- General knowledge of culinary terminology, cooking techniques and common dietary restrictions required.
- Skills to learn and retain knowledge about products throughout the store, including recommended uses and cooking methods, required.
- Basic math and computation skills required.
- Basic computer proficiency required.
- Skills to work independently, effectively manage own time and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Skills to adapt to the shifting priorities and needs of a retail environment.
- Skills to exercise good judgment at all times.
- Self-motivated, with high attention to detail, quality and presentation.
- Skills to collaborate and communicate effectively and professionally in a team environment and one on one with coworkers, supervisors and customers. Excellent written communication skills.
- Skills to manage difficult customer interactions preferred.
- Skills to read, understand and follow through on verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet needs of the department.
- Ability to reliably meet required work schedule and adhere to company attendance policy.
- Physical Requirements
- Light work level
- Continuously required to be on feet with a mix of standing and walking throughout shift. Sitting occasionally required.
- Continuously required to: use arms, hands and wrists; grasping/squeezing
- Frequently required to: lift and carry 1-10 pounds; twist
- Occasionally required to: lift and carry 10-20 pounds; bend/stoop; crouch/squat; reach at/above shoulder; reach below shoulder
- Seldom required to: lift and carry 21-50 pounds; push/pull 1-35 pounds; climb stairs, ladders and step stools
- Work occurs in a grocery store environment which includes surfaces that can be wet and slippery, moderate noise level, and temperature extremes in controlled environments in the cooler and freezer; may require working in proximity to store entrance and exit and being exposed to outdoor temperatures. Work may occur at off-site locations and include working outside, in all temperatures.
- There may be exposure to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants, and flowers.
- Work requires use of and working in proximity to common commercial cleaning agents.
- This position works on or around moving machinery or moving parts.
Important Notice: The job duties, responsibilities, requirements and conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed in this job description are examples of the tasks that a staff member may be required to perform and may vary slightly based on location. New Seasons Market reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require staff members to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.