Position Title: Category Director – Grocery
Supervisory Responsibility: Supervises all Program and Category Managers - Grocery
Reports To: Group Director – Center Store
Pay Band: F | Exempt
Duties and Responsibilities
- Understands, models and instills company culture. Communicates a clear vision. Influences, motivates and inspires others. Builds community within and outside of New Seasons Market.
- Delivers exceptional service and demonstrates friendly and attentive behaviors with internal and external customers.
- Embraces and guides others through change and continuous improvement.
- Builds trust and respect through dependability, organization and follow through.
- Communication style is confident, informative, adaptive and effective, utilizing varied methods and active listening skills.
- Understands group dynamics in order to foster a positive and collaborative work environment. Develops strong and engaged teams and internal partnerships.
- Demonstrates adaptability, flexibility and creativity in problem-solving and is solutions-oriented.
- Utilizes strategic thinking, data and industry knowledge, and calculated risk-taking to create competitive advantage.
- Plans for the future by setting clear and attainable goals.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time. Adjusts priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs of department.
- Demonstrates self-awareness and seeks opportunities for professional growth. Seeks and responds positively to feedback.
- Promotes opportunities for the professional growth of others.
- Communicates in a professional and constructive manner. Responds to and follows through on emails and other communications in a timely manner.
- Observes all store rules and policies as listed in the New Seasons Market Staff Handbook, Operations Manual, and any other official New Seasons Market or New Leaf Community Market document or manual.
- Acts as a steward of company resources and Vision/Mission/Values by modeling and promoting sustainable behaviors/operations.
Position Specific Functions
- Lead the grocery department to ensure that the overall company’s objectives are being met regarding financial objectives, vendor partnerships, product assortment, and supply chain.Grow grocery revenue through management of base business and creative promotional planning. Meet or exceed financial goals through a mix of revenue and margin.
- Generate co-op revenue (vendor supported advertising dollars) to meet or exceed budget.
- Ensure the cultivation of strong relationships with vendor partners, upholding our Pledge to Vendors, and ensure we are the “best place to do business”. Ensure our vendors grow as we grown and provide assistance where we can so that they can achieve their full potential.
- Provide guidance to the grocery team about changing customer trends. Gather insights from internal and external resources to enable fact-based decision-making.
- Drive innovation and the spirit of bold thinking that gives New Seasons Market and New Leaf Community Markets a competitive edge.
- Consistently reviews assortment and product selection to ensure we are meeting our objective to be the “ultimate neighborhood grocery store”.
- Manage retail pricing decisions for base, TPR’s, everyday value items and private brands within the company’s pricing strategies. Manage margin against cost increases through effective vendor relations.
- Work with grocery team to plan and execute comprehensive ad/promotional programs, seasonal strategies, program enhancements, and partner brands.
- Collaborate with store department managers and the merchandising team to quickly resolve issues impacting store operations, in-stock conditions, inventory, margin, shrink and store conditions.
- Create inspiring visual merchandising (display grid) that improves the customer shopping experience and grows revenue. Work with store operations to ensure timely and effective execution.
- Supervises, mentors and coaches Grocery team. Communicates expectations and holds staff accountable through ongoing feedback, coaching and training. Adapts approach to different learning styles and seeks opportunities to train and develop staff members to take on increased responsibilities.
- Helps the company achieve its mission and triple bottom line objectives - people, planet and profit - by engaging others to share in our commitment.
- Performs other tasks and duties as assigned.
Required Permits and Licenses: Valid driver’s license
Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety
- Adheres to work and food safety policies set forth by the company and regulatory agencies.
- Contributes to all-office cleanliness.
- Maintains equipment; informs department/office management of any problems.
- Reports all safety concerns and work related injuries to management.
Tools and Equipment Used
This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: office equipment, computer, printer, and scanner.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in business or related field or equivalent knowledge/experience required.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in a grocery retail environment with at least five years in a category management/merchandising role. This includes P&L management and accountability for sales, labor, pricing and promotional strategies, margin and shrink management, total gross margin, and contribution.
- Minimum five years’ experience negotiating with suppliers for costs, promotions, services and distribution.
- Experience in a multi-unit, high growth retail environment required.
- Proven ability to develop category strategies tied to the company’s overall mission, values and merchandising vision.
- Prior leadership experience required. Background includes experience managing and overseeing the work of at least three buyers or category managers.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint, with skills to learn new computer programs and systems.
- Proven track record of successfully implementing programs and policies.
- Strong business acumen and demonstrated success in running and growing a grocery department.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with problem-solving, project management and execution of initiatives across multiple locations and regions.
- Demonstrated aptitude to work at both a strategic/conceptual level as well as a tactical/implementation level.
- An excellent communicator and collaborator who can inspire, motivate, and coach employees at all levels. Experience managing and mentoring multiple direct reports, including across multiple geographic regions.
- Experience leading through complex change management situations.
- An outside-the-box thinker who takes smart risks and seeks continuous improvement and innovation.
- Belief in respectfully challenging standard practices to find better ways to get things done to support a growing business.
- Collaborative, strategic thinker and problem solver, with a demonstrated ability to prioritize and work on multiple, complex projects simultaneously, gaining alignment across functional areas.
- Skills to manage conflicting business needs across departments and work with the stakeholders to find the best solution.
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking and data-driven decision making skills.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with ability to respond to urgent job responsibilities as they arise and flexible when priorities redirect. Excellent interpersonal skills, including tact and diplomacy, to collaborate, negotiate and communicate effectively and professionally with cross-functional partners at all levels in the company.
- Self-motivated, with ability to work independently and in a collaborative, cross-functional team environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Skills to effectively present complex material to all levels in the organization
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise good judgment around sensitive information
- Skills to read, understand and follow through on verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet needs of the department.
- Valid driver’s license and vehicle required, with ability to travel regularly to store locations, trade shows and other off-site locations throughout the United States (approximately 30% of the time)
- Light work level
- Frequently required to sit, walk, reach and grasp.
- Occasionally required to stand, bend, twist and turn, lift and carry 1-20 pounds, lift 21-50 pounds, push and/or pull 1-50 pounds.
- Includes working in an office environment and occasionally in a variety of off-site environments, which may include working in refrigerated areas and on surfaces than can be wet and slippery.
- Typically maintains a moderate noise level.
- Working with exposure to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants, and flowers.
- Occasionally working near and using common commercial cleaning agents and chemicals.
Important Notice: The job duties, responsibilities, requirements and conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed in this job description are examples of the tasks that a staff member may be required to perform. New Seasons Market reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require staff members to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.