The Editor is a member of the Walden University marketing team and is responsible for providing quality assurance for higher education marketing materials and other communications by editing and proofreading copy for grammar, clarity, accuracy, and editorial style as well as independent management of workflow and select projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:Responsibilities include:
- Copy edit, fact check, and proofread marketing materials (web, e-mails, ads, brochures, presentations, press releases, etc.) and internal communications for Walden University.
- Master in-house editorial style guide for Walden University.
- Oversee editorial quality assurance for organic search (SEO) content, assuming primary ownership of meeting weekly deadlines, collaborating with all relevant stakeholders, and overseeing off-site contractors assigned to edit and proofread SEO content.
- Conduct regular audits of SEO content on Walden University website, updating information where appropriate and working with SEO content stakeholders to ensure evergreen content is relevant and accurate.
- Manage editorial quality assurance for Walden’s paid search ads.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive knowledge of the university’s academic programs.
- Support editorial quality assurance for Walden University website.
- Support editorial quality assurance for social media content.
- Manage off-site contract editors by checking the quality of their work, monitoring progress on projects, and providing feedback when necessary.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
TECHNICAL, MANAGERIAL, and PEOPLE SKILLS REQUIREDTo perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Incumbents will be evaluated, in part, based on performance of each essential function. Appropriate reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- May perform other duties and responsibilities that management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Thorough knowledge of AP style, including most recent updates; ability to master in-house style.
- Working knowledge of commenting, track changes, and mark-up tools in Microsoft Word and Adobe Professional.
- Experience managing multiple projects on deadline.
- Keen attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment as well as independently.
- Superb problem-solving, time-management, and organizational skills.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in English or journalism.
- Three to five years of professional experience as a copy editor. Experience editing in a newspaper or magazine setting and/or experience with higher education materials preferred.