Retail Construction Director job in New York City
Vacancy has expired
Looking for a job to get you out of bed?
Casper is looking to add a Retail Construction Director to the Retail Team. The Retail Construction Director will oversee the design and construction of all retail and wholesale projects in North America. The Director will oversee a small team whose responsibilities will include partnering with the experience team on developing concepts, developing the concepts into buildable projects, and partnering with key internal and external functions to build on-time, on-budget stores and projects.
Casper (casper.com) is a global sleep company that launched in 2014 with an obsessively engineered, outrageously comfortable mattress sold directly to consumers. Its critically acclaimed sleep surface was developed in-house, has a sleek design, and is delivered in a small, "how did they do that?"-sized box. The company is one of the fastest-growing consumer brands of all time, and its product line has expanded to include sheets, pillows, a matching foundation, and a dog mattress. Casper was named one of Fast Company's 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2017, and its eponymous mattress was crowned one of TIME Magazine's Best Inventions.
We are deeply committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce so that we represent all those who dream big equally.
When you’re not catching zzz’s, this is what you’ll do
- Oversee a small team of designer/construction managers in designing and executing retail stores and in-store shops in conjunction with experiential marketing team’s other environmental projects
- Develop relationships with and oversee outside architects and engineers, lighting designers, expeditors, and other professional relationships incumbent with the professional design and construction of retail stores and shops
- Partner with experience teams and creative marketing teams to ensure that non-shop projects are successfully executed within identified schedule and budget parameters
- Develop and execute best practices in budgeting, bidding and negotiating (where appropriate) millwork, materials bulk orders, decorative and visual props, lighting and GC services.
- Develop offshore manufacturing and /or procurement of the above items where appropriate
- Direct best practices in logistics for store projects associated with on-time construction of stores
- Collaborate with key partners in developing an efficient and scalable system for building stores and conducting NSO turnover and store opening process
- Partner with experience team, retail team, finance, legal and marketing to ensure a well-documented, replicable, and efficient process for building stores and shops
- Develop store design and construction drawings and communication standards that allow for efficient filing and storage of project files and documents
- Report to the SVP of Retail and Retail Partnerships
Our dream candidate has...
- A degree in Architecture, Interior Design, or Construction Management with clear demonstrable experience in the disciplines not covered in higher education
- Minimum 7-10 years working within a brand store design and construction department building first class stores in street and development environments
- Experience developing and installing in-store shops in partnership with wholesale (partnership) accounts as well as familiarity with cost sharing relationships with wholesale accounts
- Long term experience with drawing and detailing stores, shops and associated millwork Experience with VE processes within the parameters of maintaining brand standards
- Significant field experience in building stores in multiple venues including A-level malls, street locations, lifestyle centers, department stores and big box stores. Field experience partnering with tenant coordinators, local expeditors and GC PM’s and Supers
- Professional knowledge of materials, assemblies, construction means and methods and associated timelines and budgets
- Experience working for an Architect / Engineer, General Contractor, Millworker, Fabricator or materials supplier is preferable although not mandatory
- High level ability to read architectural drawings and understanding of basic code, ADA and energy code compliance is required. Ability to review a completed bid or construction set of drawings is mandatory. General understanding of Trade Union requirements is required
- Adept knowledge of The Microsoft Suite with particular emphasis on excel and a working knowledge of AutoCad Light including ability to lay out plans, correspond with Architects to red line drawings is mandatory. Knowledge of associated programs including SketchUp is helpful
The syrup on your waffles
- Salary to pay your bills, a potential bonus for some splurging, and equity so that you’re part of the Casper family.
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance to help you with those coughs or cavities (too many waffles...).
- 401K program so you can still spend money later in life.
- Extra cash incentives for being healthy and fit (we actually give you money to track your sleep!).
- Unlimited vacation policy. If you need time off just take it; we trust you!
- Bi-weekly catered lunches to catch up with your teammates.
- Free snacks and coffee, including a huge breakfast selection (10 types of cereal anyone?)
- Nap pods, for those days when you stayed out a little too late...
- A full gifted bed set when you join (mattress, sheets, pillows, the works)!
If you dream about this stuff this job is probably right for you. We look forward to learning more about you, but if you’re feeling sleepy, take a nap before applying!