Position Title: Operations Service Lead
Supervisory Responsibility: Not responsible for supervising others.
Reports To: Assistant Group Leader – Operations
Region: Northern Washington
FLSA Classification: Non-exempt
Position Description: Ensures an outstanding customer experience and assists with the coordination, execution and oversight of department operations and work. Responsible for bookkeeping functions, including till reconciliation and bank deposits. Provides exceptional customer service and contributes to a positive and collaborative team environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to a positive and supportive work environment.
- Demonstrates an adaptable and flexible work style, shifting tasks as priorities and circumstances change.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time. Adjusts priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs and conditions of department.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently, as well as cooperatively within a team.
- Gives and receives feedback in a constructive manner. Responds to feedback in order to improve performance.
- Understands and follows through on verbal and written directions.
- Speaks up. Shares ideas and feedback that contributes to success of store and company.
- Conserves company resources. Works in a manner consistent with company Vision, Mission and Values and sustainability program.
- Observes all company rules and policies.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
- Assists customers with product selection. Shares product knowledge with customers. Makes recommendations and suggestions based on customer needs.
- Engages the customer in a friendly manner and assists in locating product throughout the store. Seeks opportunities to exceed customer expectations and enhance the customer experience.
- Adapts service based on customer needs, handles difficult customer situations and seeks solutions to delight the customer.
Position Specific Functions
- Oversees overall store operations in the absence of store management team.
- Prepares store for opening and closing.
- Guides the work of department clerks, including planning and assigning work, ensuring quality standards, training and coaching staff and overseeing their productivity.
- Partners with department management team to maintain excellent store conditions, including appearance, cleanliness, signage, staffing and service levels.
- Partners with department management team to execute training programs for all areas of department. Demonstrates ability to adapt approach to different learning styles among staff.
- Maintains awareness of current ads, promotions, holidays and events. Plans for weekly ads, events and holidays using tools and reports.
- May participate in other activities, such as inventories, scheduling and performance reviews.
- Responsible for previous day’s till reconciliation. Partners with Front End Service Leads to train and coach cashiers to properly count and record tills by providing feedback on cash handling practices and till accountability.
- Prepares daily bank deposits and cash/coin order with highest attention to accuracy.
- Maintains adequate supply of cash to meet the needs of the Front End department. Sells change as needed throughout the day.
- Maintains store checkbook. Verifies accuracy of checks and submits paperwork to Accounting department.
- Orders and maintains supply of bus tickets and passes. Performs monthly verification and deposit.
- Performs tasks associated with period end, including safe audit and stamp reconciliation.
- Works with Facilities Technician to ensure facility maintenance and repair issues are addressed and resolved in a timely manner.
- Handles safety and security issues as they occur in the store, utilizing judgment and company guidelines.
- Responds to staff and customer injuries, accidents and emergencies per company policy, including incident documentation and insurance notification.
- Addresses customer incidents relating to food safety and product quality, per company policy. May oversee product recall process as needed.
- Monitors store for food safety and work safety concerns.
- Rings up and bags customer purchases; performs carry-outs.
- Performs pricing and receiving tasks as needed.
- Assists Community Engagement team as needed.
- Maintains professional vendor relationships.
- Understands and complies with specific shift guidelines, tasks and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates familiarity with products throughout the store and general understanding of culinary terminology, product labeling and common dietary restrictions.
- Follows company procedures for processing invoices, transfers and credits.
- Handles damaged and spoiled product according to company policy.
- Maintains cleanliness, organization and rotation of all areas, products and supplies.
- Responds to and follows through on emails and other communications in a timely manner.
- Notifies Assistant Group Leader or Manager On Duty of any situations relating to customer service, safety, productivity, security or any other situation that may have an adverse effect on the store.
Required Permits and Licenses: Food Handler’s card and ServSafe certification
- Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety
- Adheres to work and food safety policies set forth by the company and regulatory agencies.
- Performs janitorial tasks in compliance with sanitation standards established by store policy and state and local health departments. Contributes to store cleanliness.
- Maintains equipment, informs store/department management of any problems.
- Reports all safety concerns and work related injuries to management.
- Frequent handwashing is required.
Tools and Equipment Used
This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: box knife, baler, scanner, ladder, lift jack, pallet jack, cart, hand truck, price gun, POS, conveyer belt, vacuum, floor cleaning machine, cleaning equipment, vacuum, bottle machine, computer, and office equipment
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
Qualifications and Experience
- Friendly and customer service oriented, with an interest in food and cooking.
- Previous retail, grocery or food service experience required. Experience in a high volume environment preferred.
- Cash handling experience required. Previous bookkeeping experience preferred.
- Skills to work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Basic to intermediate math and computation skills required.
- Intermediate to advanced computer proficiency required. Experience with Excel preferred.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills required.
- Skills to plan, prioritize and delegate work.
- Skills to work independently, effectively manage own time and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Skills to adapt to the shifting priorities and needs of a retail environment.
- Skills to exercise good judgment at all times.
- Self-motivated, with high attention to detail, quality and presentation.
- Skills to collaborate and communicate effectively and professionally in a team environment and one on one with coworkers, supervisors and customers.
- Skills to manage difficult customer interactions required.
- Skills to read, understand and follow through on verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet needs of the department.
- Ability to reliably meet required work schedule and adhere to company attendance policy.
- Medium work level
- Continuously required to be on feet with continuous standing and occasional walking throughout shift. Sitting seldom required.
- Continuously required to: lift and carry 1-10 pounds; push/pull 1-10 pounds; use arms, hands and wrists; grasping/squeezing
- Frequently required to: lift and carry 11-20 pounds; push/pull 11-20 pounds; bend/stoop; twist; reach at/above shoulder; reach below shoulder
- Occasionally required to: lift and carry 21-50 pounds; push/pull 21-50 pounds; crouch/squat; kneel; climb stairs, ladders and step stools
- Work occurs in a grocery store environment which includes surfaces that can be wet and slippery, moderate noise level, and temperature extremes working in controlled temperature grocery environment; may work in proximity to store entrances and exits and be exposed to outdoor temperatures; working outside when required.
- There may be exposure to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants, and flowers.
- Work requires use of and working in proximity to common commercial cleaning agents.
- This position works on or around moving machinery or moving parts.
Important Notice: The job duties, responsibilities, requirements and conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed in this job description are examples of the tasks that a staff member may be required to perform and may vary slightly based on location. New Seasons Market reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require staff members to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.