Position Title: Lead Payroll Administrator
Department: Finance and Accounting
Supervisory Responsibility: Not directly responsible for supervising others.
Reports To: Senior Manager of Payroll
Pay Band C | Exempt
Position Description: Performs and supervises all activities necessary to process the full payroll cycle with minimal supervision. Assists payroll team in maintaining payroll related records, filing tax reports and voluntary deduction reports, processing involuntary deductions (such as levies and garnishments), preparing accounting transactions and documents, documenting and updating procedures, and preparing special reports for senior management. Leads team in organization and communication to all locations for streamlining processes company wide.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Understands and models company culture. Influences, motivates and inspires others. Builds community within and outside of New Seasons Market.
* Delivers exceptional service and demonstrates friendly and attentive behaviors with internal and external customers.
* Embraces change and continuous improvement.
* Builds trust and respect through dependability, organization and follow through.
* Communication style is confident, informative, adaptive and effective, utilizing varied methods and active listening skills.
* Develops strong internal partnerships and contributes to a positive and collaborative work environment.
* Demonstrates adaptability, flexibility and creativity in problem-solving and is solutions-oriented.
* Plans for the future by setting clear and attainable goals.
* Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time. Adjusts priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs of department.
* Demonstrates self-awareness and seeks opportunities for professional growth. Seeks and responds positively to feedback.
* Promotes opportunities for the professional growth of others
* Communicates in a professional and constructive manner. Responds to and follows through on emails and other communications in a timely manner.
* Observes all store rules and policies as listed in the New Seasons Market Staff Handbook, Operations Manual, and any other official NSM document or manual.
* Acts as a steward of company resources and Vision/Mission/Values by modeling and promoting sustainable behaviors/operations.
* Understands, models and instills company culture. Communicates a clear vision. Influences, motivates and inspires others. Builds community within and outside of New Seasons Market.
* Embraces and guides others through change and continuous improvement.
* Understands group dynamics in order to foster a positive and collaborative work environment. Develops strong and engaged teams and internal partnerships.
Position Specific Functions
* Process the full payroll cycle with minimal supervision.
* Manage communication and process guidance for all regions as directed by Manager.
* Inputs, reviews and audits all payroll changes in Kronos PR/HRIS system, including reconciling payroll prior to finalizing.
* Works with team to find and implement efficiencies.
* Through time, become proficient in all tasks provided by Senior Manager of Payroll, in order to provide back up.
* Performs and schedules all duties necessary to process bi-weekly, quarterly and profit sharing payrolls.
* Prepares payroll and tax related reports for management and vendors.
* Documenting and updating procedures for team.
* Reconciles labor charges to the correct store location and departments.
* Shares in the preparation of payroll journal entries and monthly payroll account reconciliations.
* Shares responsibility for employee garnishments, including set up, reporting, reconciling, and entering payments into the payroll system and or agency website for payment.
* Process off cycle payroll checks, including terminations, late sick and vacation, and error corrections.
* Ensure systems are set-up and updated to reflect our current policies and legislation.
* Shares responsibility for 401k contributions and loan deductions and assist in reconciling errors and adjustments.
* Audit and edit PTO accrual reporting in Kronos Workforce Time Keeper.
* Complete quarterly and year-end tax reports, balancing W-2 earnings and taxes.
* Assists as contact for payroll questions, instructions, training and problem resolution.
* Recommends changes in methods or procedures to Payroll Manager to improve the efficiency of the payroll function.
* Performs other tasks and duties as assigned.
Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety
* Adheres to work and food safety policies set forth by the company and regulatory agencies.
* Contributes to all-office cleanliness.
* Maintains equipment; informs department/office management of any problems.
* Reports all safety concerns and work related injuries to management.
Tools and Equipment Used
This position may be required to use the following tools and equipment: office equipment, computer, printer, and scanner.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and other applicable state or local law, we will make reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
Qualifications and Experience
* Minimum of 5 to 7 years of payroll, finance or equivalent experience preferred.
* Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Human Resources or equivalent experience required. Certified Payroll Professional or Human Resources certification a plus.
* Previous payroll experience required, including experience with computerized HRIS/Payroll systems, automated time and attendance software and accounting systems.
* Previous payroll experience in a multi-unit, retail environment preferred.
* Supervisory experience a plus.
* Understanding of Federal, State, and local employment and payroll taxes, and knowledge of wage and hour laws.
* Intermediate to advanced proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, with skills to learn new computer programs and systems. Experience with Kronos Workforce Ready and Workforce Central a plus.
* Collaborative, strategic thinker and problem solver, with a demonstrated ability to prioritize and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
* Strong analytical, critical thinking and decision-making skills.
* Experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment with ability to respond to urgent job responsibilities as they arise and flexible when priorities redirect.
* Excellent interpersonal skills, including tact and diplomacy, to collaborate, negotiate and communicate effectively and professionally with cross-functional partners at all levels in the company.
* Self-motivated, with ability to work independently and in a collaborative, cross-functional team environment.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise good judgment around sensitive information.
* Skills to read, understand and follow through on verbal and written instructions.
* Ability to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet needs of the department.
* Some travel may be expected.
* Light work level
* Frequently required to sit, walk, reach and grasp.
* Occasionally required to stand, bend, twist and turn, lift and carry 1-20 pounds, lift 21-50 pounds, push and/or pull 1-50 pounds.
* Includes working in an office environment and occasionally in a variety of off-site environments, which may include working in refrigerated areas and on surfaces than can be wet and slippery.
* Typically maintains a moderate noise level.
* Working with exposure to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants, and flowers.
* Occasionally working near and using common commercial cleaning agents and chemicals.
Important Notice: The job duties, responsibilities, requirements and conditions, physical requirements and work environment listed in this job description are examples of the tasks that a staff member may be required to perform. New Seasons Market reserves the right to revise the job description at any time and to require staff members to perform other tasks as circumstances or conditions of business change.