Managing Director, India job
Managing Director Job Summary
Techstars operates 30+ Accelerator programs around the globe and we’re looking for a Managing Director (MD) who can lead our Accelerator and investment strategy in Bangalore. The MD is one half of the Accelerator program team, consisting of one MD and one operationally focused Program Manager (PM). The MD’s focus is investment - sourcing, recruiting and investing in the best companies; the PM’s focus is operations - executing on Techstars proven playbook and delivering the best possible experience for Founders. The MD sets the strategic direction and investment profile within the program, including a curated team of mentors, investors and business advisors. The MD is responsible for raising the necessary program funding through external LPs and/or Techstars Ventures, as well as making the initial investments in each company selected to participate. The MD has overall ownership of the program success and partners with other operations units within Techstars to ensure the exceptional delivery of our programs, but the MD is ultimately responsible for turning good companies into great ones.
- Define the strategic direction and investment profile within the program
- Partner with program teams to create holistic strategy and delivery plan and then own overall responsibility for the successful execution of program.
- Responsible for securing the necessary program funding through external LPs and/or Techstars Ventures.
- Sourcing, recruiting and making the initial investments decisions in all companies selected.
- Partner with internal Techstars’ teams to create and drive the pipeline and recruitment of new companies across the entire Techstars network
- Create and nurture a strong network of mentors, sponsors, investors and corporate partners .
- Selecting and hiring of an Entrepreneur-in-Residence (EIR), who is an expert in a specific area of focus and partners with the MD to provide additional guidance to Founders.
- Expertise in term sheets, negotiations and fundraising.
- Alignment with the Techstars vision, direction and support of overall organization objectives.
- Engage with founders to ensure Techstars is delivering on the promise “Do what's right for the founder”.
- Share new best practices with the Techstars’ team globally as you identify areas for innovation and improvement.
- Develop scalable systems and processes to regularly provide bi-directional updates to the Techstars’ investment portfolio across the region.
- Represent Techstars in local community, both actively and passively.
- Service the Techstars’ network overall on and off-season: mentor new MDs, assist in other programs, work on strategic initiatives and develop meaningful and beneficial relationships across the Techstars ecosystem.
- 7+ years of experience in fast-paced environments within technology, startups, entrepreneurship and venture capital.
- Comfortable with a minimal amount of direction but high expectations
- Comfortable commanding a room; public speaking and community development is part of the job
- Fits the Techstars’ culture (#givefirst-i-ness, Entrepreneurial Inclination, High Quality and Network Focused)
- Knowledge of DiSC, StrengthsFinder or similar tools is highly desirable
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college/university or equivalent industry experience
- Ability to travel 25% within territory, as well as other meetings and events around the globe
Techstars operates four divisions: Techstars Startup Programs, Techstars Mentorship-Driven Accelerator Programs, Techstars Corporate Innovation Partnerships, and the Techstars Venture Capital Fund. Techstars Mentorship-Driven Accelerator Program supercharges success and Techstars Startup Programs inspire, educate and connect entrepreneurs. Techstars Venture Capital Fund invests in the most innovative and disruptive Techstars companies to fuel their success. Techstars Corporate Innovation Partnerships helps brands create world-changing products and services. Techstars accelerator portfolio includes more than 1,000 companies with an estimated market cap of over $8 billion.