Design and Technology Outreach Lead job in New York City
Vacancy has expired
Kickstarter is seeking a full-time Design & Technology Outreach Lead to help us continue to inspire creators to join the Kickstarter community. This is a six-month contract (beginning in March) based out of New York.
About the Team
Our Outreach Team nurtures and expands our relationships with the creative communities we serve. Over the past eight years, tens of thousands of product designers, engineers and makers have come to Kickstarter to share their ideas with the world. We’ve helped creators reinvent manufacturing, launch new industries, and bring innovative products to life. To date, over 17 thousand design and technology projects have found success on Kickstarter — raising over $1.2 billion.
About the Role
The Outreach Lead will be responsible for finding and recruiting influential creators who are working on unique and innovative projects. Our ideal candidate has a detailed knowledge of, and passion for, the world of hardware and making. They are also comfortable with public speaking, and have a knack for connecting to creative people far and wide.
In This Role, You Will:
- Identify and maintain contact with potential creators in the Eastern US and Canada – from Chicago to Boston, and Toronto to Miami.
- Maintain regular communications with our network of referring creator alumni.
- Identify influential creators and thought leaders, and inspire them to bring their projects to Kickstarter.
- Speak on behalf of Kickstarter at public meetups, private events, and classrooms and contribute to our presence in the East Coast hardware world.
- Represent Kickstarter’s PBC values and voice out in the world by supporting independent creativity and diversity.
- Ensure we are active and relevant participants in the conversation around emerging and innovative technologies.
- Travel within the extended New York area and on the East Coast to meet creators and attend events.
- At least two years of experience in the hardware, design, or maker community, with an added bonus for work in operations, communications, outreach, and community building
- Genuine passion for creative work that comes to life at the intersection of design, technology and art
- Deep knowledge of the hardware startup ecosystem and an understanding of how Kickstarter has become an integral part of it
- Understanding of the opportunity Kickstarter represents for independent makers, engineers and designers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to set and manage expectations, and ability to collaborate in and outside of the company
- A thorough understanding of how Kickstarter works, and what it takes to craft and run high-quality, successful campaigns
- Curiosity about art, culture, and making, as well an interest in how they intersect with the world of design and technology with an added bonus for being a maker or designer yourself
If this sounds like you, we want to hear from you! Please send us your resume, and be sure to include links to your work, along with a little bit about yourself, and why you love Kickstarter. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.