Chief Operations Officer job in Brooklyn
Who We Are:
UncommonGoods is an innovative ecommerce and catalog retailer dedicated to sustainability and creative design. We encourage makers and shoppers to express their individuality through remarkable products. And we strive to conduct our business in a way that has a positive impact, recognized by our becoming a Founding B Corporation in 2007.
We’ve remained independent since launching in 1999. We’ve grown every year, with over 200 year-round team members today and many more during our holiday peak.
We know that being a great place to work comes from what we do, how we do it and who we work with along the way. We recognize that good isn't enough; to be great we need to continually raise the bar for excellence and have the right people, processes and systems in place to support excellence at peak volumes. Read more about our story and the Guiding Principles that inform how we work.
What You’ll Do:
- Ensure that our award-winning customer experience is continuously improving by effectively leading our distribution, customer service, purchasing and drop ship teams. This role reports to our Founder and CEO and is based at our Brooklyn, NY headquarters.
- Partner with departmental leaders to set strategy, coach and mentor the team to ensure performance objectives are met and build positive team relations and leadership bench strength.
- Ensure our people, process, systems, and physical infrastructure are built to scale to deliver both seasonal peaks and our long-term growth.
- Drive accountability in key processes by shaping our performance metrics and goals across business channels, and then manage the business to meet and exceed these measures.
- Manage our costs to ensure we continue to provide outstanding value to our customers, while paying our team fairly, driven by advances in quality and efficiency.
- Oversee major projects such as the launch of new technology systems, warehouse redesign, and the evaluation of new distribution partners and company-operated warehouses.
What You Offer:
- A track record of building and leading high-performance teams, with a demonstrated ability to deliver outstanding results.
- 7+ years of proven success of increasing responsibility in an operations leadership role with a progressive track record of success in delivering first-rate quality and productivity.
- Managerial experience that includes implementing scalable systems, infrastructure and software.
- Demonstrated planning and strategic decision-making ability, combined with successful execution.
- Detail-oriented, results-driven focus, with a high proficiency for operations – ensuring processes and procedures are timely and properly executed and can proactively identify and implement process improvements.
- Experience in retail, e-commerce, consumer goods or manufacturing, along with an appreciation of specialty merchandise.
- Demonstrated success building and maintaining strong relationships with vendors, service providers, and distributors leading to outstanding performance.
- Experience working in a lean, collaborative team environment with strong talent and embrace open, direct communication.
- A proven record of building and enhancing large scale systems and processes; setting up a distribution center from scratch; partnering with different software vendors and 3PLs, and leveraging strong negotiation skills.
- Experience managing multiple operations of various sizes and types.
- Experience hiring and managing a large seasonal workforce is a major asset.
- Strong industry network in warehouses, distribution centers, shipping providers and/or retailers is a major plus.
What We Offer:
- A key leadership role in a casual work environment for an exciting, meaningful business.
- Competitive compensation, including an ownership stake.
- Competitive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, 401K, paid family leave, and 40% discount on UncommonGoods orders.